Rent in NYC **UPDATE: Average Tops $5k

Unfathomable to me why anyone would want live in such a crime infested shithole, let alone pay that much for it. I guess some people just need to be like ants and pack themselves in with other ants.

You may not agree, but for a lot of people, living in a place with a plethora of easily accessible, enriching and entertaining things to do, amongst a very diverse group of people is actually appealing... and I've dated women from basically every corner of the globe all while living in my old Brooklyn apartment. It'd be hard to do that anywhere else in America.

Yea, in the summer it stinks. I'll take that bad with all the good that I gained from living there.

You may not agree, but for a lot of people, living in a place with a plethora of easily accessible, enriching and entertaining things to do, amongst a very diverse group of people is actually appealing... and I've dated women from basically every corner of the globe all while living in my old Brooklyn apartment. It'd be hard to do that anywhere else in America.

Yea, in the summer it stinks. I'll take that bad with all the good that I gained from living there.
Obviously yes, a lot of people must like living there otherwise the rents wouldn't be so high. 20-30 years ago/especially if still single I wouldn't have found the idea of city life so objectionable.

Heres a steal

Whole apt is 135 sq ft, but its got a nice kitchen, window views, and a dimming light

Sounds about right for a city that produces nothing.

UPDATE:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/manhattan-record-high-rent-august-2022/

I remember during the pandemic I was paying as low as $2,200 for a studio. Crazy times, everyone comes flying back to NYC
https://qz.com/2172884/good-luck-finding-a-one-bedroom-in-nyc-if-you-dont-make-155k/
My dad's paying $5k for an apt. just outside of Boston, but he's getting 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a study and about 2800 square feet. Wraparound apt. with nice park and city views. I can't imagine paying $5k just for an average apartment. I mean, that's what I have now, but I'm only paying $2100 for it.

I always crack up when I see NYC’s rent.
79e90fa03699a37fc435eff6469d95600b29086af385bc89bc82c7c817a30d2b_1.jpg

And I thought I had it bad at like 1800 in Burbank.
That is a good rent Burbank is nice than a lot of l.a cities. It is also the only city that kept gun stores open whe we had the shutdowns and riots.

Oh yeah, all of the "products" they put out are very necessary. Two very different economic principles we're talking about here.
One is quantifiable (such as what I linked to) and one is simply one person's opinion (which you're expressing). I'd rather rely on something that's quantifiable rather than purely speculative or anecdotal.

I watched an episode of Seinfeld and George said his rent was $2300 a month. It was a decent sized apartment and it was around 1998 when the show aired. That’s unfathomable for me. The most rent I ever paid in mid Michigan was a small two bedroom home for $700 a month. Right after I got married so it was split between my wife and I.

Yeah you couldn't pay me enough to live in Michigan let alone entice me with cheap rent.

Back