Rent in NYC **UPDATE: Average Tops $5k

I pay 1800$ per month for a huge 2 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. And I have a perfect view of Verrazano bridge from my window. No complains.
If you can see the Verrazano then its far from Manhattan,so the rent is cheaper out there. Ye might as well live in Staten Island

NYC and London are extreme examples, but this is happening to big cities all over the developed world: young people, creative people, ordinary folks and lowlifes are priced out and forced to move away. It's poison to what makes city life interesting in the long run.

its getting worse out here.

300 sqft for $2300 is a damn steal, but unfortunately with all the bidding it will probably settle around $2600-$2700 a month
A mob of apartment hunters recently lined up and waited more than an hour — street-side and up several flights of stairs — to view a 371-square-foot, one-bedroom, third-floor walk-up listed for $2,337.39 in the East Village.
The rent-stabilized unit at 169 Ave. A — about the size of a single-car garage — is now considered relatively cheap.

“We’re telling tenants to arrive with their paperwork ready and to be prepared for a bidding war in many cases,” Hourigan told The Post

apartment-lines-nyc.jpg

https://nypost.com/2022/06/22/crazy-nyc-rental-market-fuels-lines-to-see-tiny-apartment/

Last edited:
$4,000 a month for a 1 Bedroom is the current median monthly price.
$3,000 a month for a Studio is the current median monthly price.

I remember during the pandemic I was paying as low as $2,200 for a studio. Crazy times, everyone comes flying back to NYC
https://qz.com/2172884/good-luck-finding-a-one-bedroom-in-nyc-if-you-dont-make-155k/
When I first moved to Norfolk I was in a corporate studio. It was gigantic, had I not had a container full of stuff arriving in a couple of weeks I could have stayed there.

My old man paid 1600 a month in the mid 80s to live in Manhattan.

living anywhere in manhattan is gonna be overpriced. better off moving to queens (and i dont mean Long island City) or brooklyn than living in manhattan and getting to enjoy what manhattan "offers"

shit i was paying 1700/mo for a small ass apartment in Whitestone. Now i Pay 1500/mo in mortgage to live in Putnam County (granted thats with my veterans preferences and such). I only drive into the city (queens) for work and avoid manhattan like the plague it is.

NYC and London are extreme examples, but this is happening to big cities all over the developed world: young people, creative people, ordinary folks and lowlifes are priced out and forced to move away. It's poison to what makes city life interesting in the long run.

There's plenty of low lives in nyc. They don't have to pay rent.

Bay Area prices are ridiculous too. And they keep building apartments that sit empty. There was a Kohls with a couple of restaurants, and a taco bell. It had a huge parking lot. They tore it all down and built a massive apartment complex and it has sat empty since at least 2018. Just empty massive apartment building & parking lot with a fence around it.

I was paying $1550/month in Manhattan for 480sqft studio in 2000/2001. I'm not surprised rent has doubled.

Anecdote: my brother lives in Astoria with one roommate in a 2BR apartment where they pay $2,300/month total or $1,150 per person, per month. Hardly the poor house.

Then you see where these insanely competitive apartments are (East Village, Manhattan) and it makes sense.

Back