Rener Gracie on CNN promoting his new program Bullyproof

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JoLOveS, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JoLOveS

JoLOveS Yellow Belt

2. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Green Belt

what if the bully knows BJJ? ...

3. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Green Belt

imagine if you were getting bullied by someone @ the Torrance academy... oh bittersweet irony, you'd have nowhere left to turn :icon_sad:

5. jazza

jazza Brown Belt

when all bullys learn mma its a sad day :icon_lol:

6. hakkas

hakkas Blue Belt

The responsibility is the parents and teachers. I believe this sends the wrong message. "Learn how to fight and get rid of the bullies", is it ok to bring your gun to school if the BJJ didn't work (because that's whats next if you are supposed to take matters in your own hands)?

7. JoLOveS

JoLOveS Yellow Belt

I think I wanna train with Rener now, he looks very intense.

8. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

Yeah, that's all fine and well until you're getting your ass kicked by a bully. Sometimes you just need to stand up for yourself. The bully will find someone else to pick on (though that problem should still be handled by teachers and parents in the long term).

9. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

I tihnk kids learning to defend themselves is important. Getting picked on is a part of growing up, it happens to most people. But its worse for others, and it really messes with some kids. The confidence alone is worth it. But I do agree it is important to help these kids understand the time and place to use it, and to always respect other kids.

10. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

I will not get into this too much more than this reply because it is an endless debate. But a few points that I find to be universally true and important....

-Kids are bullied everyday. Our fathers and grandfathers had bullies, yet no one was shot, no one felt the need to bring a gun to school. Why? Strange indeed. Maybe it had something to do with what we were taught growing up...

A 13 year old boy in this area (cy-fair) shot himself with his father's 9mm Beretta last week because of bullying. This year, 15 yr old Phoebe Prince hung herself because of bullying and facebook internet taunting. Later in the year 15yr old Seth Walsh hung himself because other students found out he was gay and bullied him. These are only recent examples that I could remember offhand...

A problem definitely lies within the parents handling of these situations as well as school officials awareness and action.

But...Parents and school officials are not there all of the time. As much as parents like to fool themselves into believing that they are 100% control of their childs life, they are not. Unless they quit their jobs, follow the kid from the time he wakes to the time he sleeps, and monitor all of his social interaction (personal and internet). It's not possible, and the times when kids are without supervision are the times when these types of things happen. No one is bullying a kid right in front of their parents. And a parent's reach is limited.

So who has the ability or power to protect or stand up for the kid in that time when a parent or official is not present? The kid.

And this is what was a universal truth in our age..our parents age..and their parents..and so on...They knew that if someone would not stop, they had to be "adjusted". Not murdered. Just dealt with in a way that changed the dynamic of the bullying relationship.

The problem now is that no one loses or is ever wrong. Students are not help accountable for bad test scores, they do not play dodgeball because it is mean and kids are sad when they are "out".

It's a mass pussification. Kids have to be able to stand up for themselves at certain times in their lives, otherwise they will be chronically unprepared for adulthood when they reach it...(if they reach it).

I had a bully actually..I remember his name was John. He would make fun of just about everything, my K-mart shoes or my faded t-shirt. One day I got sick of it, I shoved him down and told him that the last thing in this world I felt was fear of him. And I would never be afraid of him, and nothing he ever said would do anything except make me fell sorry for him. I told him he could fight me if he wanted, and he might win, but he would have to fight me the next day..and the next...and the next. He would have to fight me everyday for the rest of his life because I wasn't afraid and I wouldnt allow him to step on me.

We became friends a few months later, partied a few times in HS, and 10 years later he messages me on FB to see how everything is going.

No one died. No one ever considered dying or killing. What's the difference with kid's now?

11. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Man... Rener really does love the camera.

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I'm hoping these classes do more to build confidence and allow kids to know they can control situations rather than teaching them that a double leg takedown is the answer to their problems.

13. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

Sure, but I still think it's a good thing that he's doing for the kids. The same could probably be said of any kids BJJ program, though.

14. AthletcBodyCare

AthletcBodyCare Orange Belt

Seems like it does..for the most part, it looked like the kids in featured in the vid weren't the type to fight unless provoked.

Rener's a great guy with a noble vision for a great cause.

15. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Just visited my parents and we watched Karate Kid last night (Jackie Chan version), which is relevant to this discussion in a way. While I agree that discipline and understand work ethic pays off are VITALLY important to a child/person's confidence and overall well-being, learning BJJ will not solve the new bully dilemma experienced in the online world.

A RNC won't fix Facebook taunting. An armbar won't fix sexting images that have been fowarded to the etire school. And while you can Omo Plata everyone who knows you're gay/lesbian/different, whatever, you're still not going to be accepted in most schools. And that's a result of society, not lack of confidence or discipline.

I'm all for everyone learning BJJ for both physical and mental discipline. Nonetheless, it won't fix this new breed of technological bullying.

And I don't agree with the idea that because bullying has the potential to make you tougher then that toughness makes you a better person. It just makes you bitter, whether you beat their ass or not.

16. Rilock4

Rilock4 Orange Belt

Fixed it for you man.

17. _Glorfindel_

_Glorfindel_ MMA Coach

Judo, in about every country, already have a proven curiculum for kids...

Another gracie showboating/MARKETING trick...

18. Pahlavan**

Pahlavan** White Belt

Well said man. Kids these days are SOFT *cough* Law Bob Loblaw

19. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Did he plug the Gracie Juice Bag

20. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

one thing you should always tell your male (or female) child is to never ever be physically intimidated by someone, regardless.