Rener Gracie: "Everyone shut up. Brendan will choke you guys too."

For some reason, this video made me really dislike Rener. That's a hard thing to say since he's such a loveable guy, but he just comes off as a cocky coach contrast to the no ego, love everyone Rener that he usually is.

He always seemed arrogant to me, and this just confirms it.

My favorite Rener Gracie video of all time.

Schaub and the MII antics drove me nuts but Rener honestly seems like a nice guy who's just very passionate. I really don't think he was that arrogant.

Schaub and the MII antics drove me nuts but Rener honestly seems like a nice guy who's just very passionate. I really don't think he was that arrogant.

Yeah, I'd normally be the first guy to roll his eyes at Rener, but he was obviously pretty excited during that interview, and reasonably so.

I thought that was a good interview. At least he didn't say Schuab has the best bjj in the hw div. I'm pretty sure he'd treat a match with Werdum the same as Cyborg.

For some reason, this video made me really dislike Rener. That's a hard thing to say since he's such a loveable guy, but he just comes off as a cocky coach contrast to the no ego, love everyone Rener that he usually is.

I initially thought that too, but you can see in a lot of interviews there's an underlying sense of arrogance in his words and him being disingenuous at times especially when it comes to the Gracie brand. I still think he's a very charismatic and engaging teacher though. Wasn't annoyed at this video though.

I just really find him annoying and find his family annoying... always skewing facts to benefit them.
And when I say his family I don't mean the entire Gracies.. I love Renzo and that side. Carlson too.

I think Gracie jiu-jitsu is like a religion to Rener. He talks about jiu-jitsu and his grandfather Helio like a missionary talks about God and Jesus. For me that completely explains his attitude, mannerisms, and the way he talks about the topic. He's speaking from a place of total, religious faith, and he's trying to help everyone else see the light that he sees.

I think Gracie jiu-jitsu is like a religion to Rener. He talks about jiu-jitsu and his grandfather Helio like a missionary talks about God and Jesus. For me that completely explains his attitude, mannerisms, and the way he talks about the topic. He's speaking from a place of total, religious faith, and he's trying to help everyone else see the light that he sees.

Less like a missionary, more like a mega church preacher. Gun to his head, I'm pretty sure he'd take money over martial arts integrity, even though from where I stand he's trying to juggle both.

Whatever. The interview was entertaining, and I didn't see anything about him that I didn't already pick up before. Ryron still seems like a much more genuine human being.

Religion is good business, so that makes sense.... :eek:

I kind of agree with him. It's time to move on from the Schuab/Metamoris debacle. On one hand, Brendan keeps talking about it, but on the other hand people keep asking him about it.

I kind of agree with him. It's time to move on from the Schuab/Metamoris debacle. On one hand, Brendan keeps talking about it, but on the other hand people keep asking him about it.

Even bad press is still press. For a guy like Schaub the revolting spectacle at metamoris actually has kept his name trending on the web for months when no one would mention him otherwise.

It's gotten to the point where in the UFC forums you have guys that don't train not catching the joke and actually asking what Schaub has done to earn such a reputation as a BJJ phenom. They keep hearing the sarcasm without knowing the context and next thing you know you have casual fans associating Schaub with high level BJJ.

Even bad press is still press. For a guy like Schaub the revolting spectacle at metamoris actually has kept his name trending on the web for months when no one would mention him otherwise.

It's gotten to the point where in the UFC forums you have guys that don't train not catching the joke and actually asking what Schaub has done to earn such a reputation as a BJJ phenom. They keep hearing the sarcasm without knowing the context and next thing you know you have casual fans associating Schaub with high level BJJ.

That's why much like a fart in an elevator, we should ignore him and hope no one notices. :icon_lol:

People are still angry because Schaubs antics torpedoed an event that the BJJ community was really enthusiastic about. Finally there was the possibility to see all the dream matches we've wanted for years.

They totally bungled the promotion by putting their buddy on the card. Not only that, but then patronizing their audience during and then after the event. What Schaub did was the COMPLETE opposite of that annoying "keep it playful!" message that they keep preaching. It's the only thing people remember Metamoris II for.

They would have at least had a couple more events had Schaub not taken a giant shit on the mat. After a few more successful events, maybe a new investor or bigger sponsors would have got involved.

Back