Rener Gracie = 5th degree black belt

if i recall correctly, didn't helio say that either ryron or rener (i don't remember which) was already at a 5th degree level?

If he said that, probably Ryron, who is very very skilled and by all accounts the best of Rorion's sons. Shame he didn't compete more than he did.

Exactly Rener is a 5th degree GJJ BB not a 5th degree BJJ BB

true, but compare him against his relatives Royce or Rolker or Robin or Royler, they are all 5th or 6th dan too aren't they, albeit a lot older and having contributed more to the art.

true, but compare him against his relatives Royce or Rolker or Robin or Royler, they are all 5th or 6th dan too aren't they, albeit a lot older and having contributed more to the art.

Not too sure what Helio was thinking on that one!

Rorion ensuring that his son is as high rank as his uncles!

look, i think you guys need to simmer down.

think about it for a second and figure it out next week.

devising a plan to trick shut-ins that you can get belt promotions via youtubing yourself playing grabass with your friends = 1 stripe on black belt

participating in what is commonly referred to as the most grueling belt test ever with a true calf locking warrior like dr 90210 = 1 stripe on black belt

calling GB not the pure GJJ and ****tucking to Renzo on a fightworks broadcast = 1 stripe on black belt

talking like a used car salesman = priceless

i think all our ducks are in a row here.

While I do understand why people get frustrated, it's important to remember that a stripe has nothing to do with ability. It's not as if a 5 stripe BB vs a 3 stripe BB is the same as a blue vs a brown. While I do like that it's clear with the IBJJF what you must do for stripes (not die, pay them, teach, pay them, have a cpr card, and last but not least, pay them), what are the requirements for GJJ? When it's ambiguous, it really isn't mystical to me, it's meaningless.

In one of the Draculino videos he talked about a contemporary who got his BB after him having more stripes. When questioned, he said time goes faster in America. IOW, stripes on a BB have less meaning than the belt itself. Kinda funny, I've heard that about the other belts as well.

For another reference (and where we get the belt system from), as I understand in Judo stripes mean tournaments won and with the much higher ups, contributions made to the sport.

This isn't to minimize the belt pumping that is done, but really, lets compare. Stripes on a BB vs handing out belts to people you've never met, which is worse?

This isn't to minimize the belt pumping that is done, but really, lets compare. Stripes on a BB vs handing out belts to people you've never met, which is worse?

Handing out belts to people you have never met is a sin.

once you get your BB, just put a stripe on your belt per 3 years of training for the 3 stripes etc...

While I do understand why people get frustrated, it's important to remember that a stripe has nothing to do with ability. It's not as if a 5 stripe BB vs a 3 stripe BB is the same as a blue vs a brown. While I do like that it's clear with the IBJJF what you must do for stripes (not die, pay them, teach, pay them, have a cpr card, and last but not least, pay them), what are the requirements for GJJ? When it's ambiguous, it really isn't mystical to me, it's meaningless.

In one of the Draculino videos he talked about a contemporary who got his BB after him having more stripes. When questioned, he said time goes faster in America. IOW, stripes on a BB have less meaning than the belt itself. Kinda funny, I've heard that about the other belts as well.

For another reference (and where we get the belt system from), as I understand in Judo stripes mean tournaments won and with the much higher ups, contributions made to the sport.

I think you forgot the most important thing to get stripes, TRAIN....

If he said that, probably Ryron, who is very very skilled and by all accounts the best of Rorion's sons. Shame he didn't compete more than he did.

to be honest, I don't particularly like the guy's mannerisms .. but he is a good teacher. Im not in their "target market", but they have done alot to introduce the art to people who wouldn't otherwise know about BJJ.. and that's what I think they are being rewarded for (stripes)..
Im still not a fan of the gracie garage stuff, but if it works for some people good luck to them..

Last edited:
To get stripes on your BB, who's to verify you're training?

Absolutly no one.

that is the beauty of BJJ, once you get your BB, no one to answer to, no more exam, no more BS.

just get together with your student and get another BB to award your stripe if you do not have access with your master.

Im ignorant when it comes to this stuff... .but didnt the Gracies pretty much invent jiu jitsu?

Why would they follow any guidelines when it comes to belt levels?

Im ignorant when it comes to this stuff... .but didnt the Gracies pretty much invent jiu jitsu?

bc sherdog posters say so

The IBJJF are their own guidelines.

Rener Gracie does go under the IBJJF guidelines.

Im reading all the replies saying they don't follow the guidelines, IBJJF this and that is everyone forgetting who invented the art of BJJ (the only reason its called that is bc the gracie family trademarked their name) we'd all be saying gjj and gracie jiu jitsu if they hadn't. Straight from the IBJJF offical website "Today, Jiu-Jitsu is a highly-organized sport, with an International Federation as well as a Brazilian National Confederation, both founded by Master Carlos Gracie Jr. Through his work with the Confederation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Carlos Gracie Jr. contributed to the growth of the sport by holding some of the first organized competitions." So this in no way discredits the family they have a higher understanding then ppl training in spin off BJJ schools and more than likely know when to promote based on knowledge not because IBJJF says anyone cant learn it unless a year has passed. Just my 2 cents

So this in no way discredits the family they have a higher understanding then ppl training in spin off BJJ schools and more than likely know when to promote based on knowledge not because IBJJF says anyone cant learn it unless a year has passed.

2 things:

1. I tried five times to read and understand this sentence and I failed every time.
2. You bumped a 2010 thread to say this? Really?

5th degree in Gracie Jiu Jitsu not Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which, ironically, is more Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than BJJ

Im reading all the replies saying they don't follow the guidelines, IBJJF this and that is everyone forgetting who invented the art of BJJ (the only reason its called that is bc the gracie family trademarked their name) we'd all be saying gjj and gracie jiu jitsu if they hadn't. Straight from the IBJJF offical website "Today, Jiu-Jitsu is a highly-organized sport, with an International Federation as well as a Brazilian National Confederation, both founded by Master Carlos Gracie Jr. Through his work with the Confederation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Carlos Gracie Jr. contributed to the growth of the sport by holding some of the first organized competitions." So this in no way discredits the family they have a higher understanding then ppl training in spin off BJJ schools and more than likely know when to promote based on knowledge not because IBJJF says anyone cant learn it unless a year has passed. Just my 2 cents

Are you methed out?

Back