Renegade Xtrainers vs. Hayabusa "Pro" Shin/Instep guards with neoprene backing

madcatz

White Belt
Reaction score
I have the Top King shinguards for muay thai (not the empower creativity ones, the black ones with trim). However, I found that they move around a lot despite what other people have experienced on this forum.

I've been researching two new highly regarded shin guards by sherdoggers and elsewhere...how would you say Renegade Xtrainers (tricore padding) compares with Hayabusa "Pro" Shin/Instep guards with neoprene backing?

Hayabusa shin guards: Hayabusa Pro Shin-Instep Guards - MMAWarehouse.com

They seem to be similar build. I am curious which one you think offers better protection. Both have great reviews. The Hayabusas have 40+ 5 star reviews on mmawarehouse alone. I am a little concerned about both regarding protection and the potential for injuries - both to myself checking kicks and to my partner. I would like to think my shins are well conditioned.

Which has better protection, which for stability?

Hey guys,

40+ five star reviews is an extraordinary accomplishment and really speaks to Hayabusa's name. I have their shorts and Pro-striking shins, and both are strong, durable quality and are pleasing to the eye.

As you've read, I did injure myself using the X-Trainers. But that was sparring my Panamanian Muay Thai coach, and he doesn't take it easy on me for many reasons (all positive, BTW). The X-Trainers did not move during my sessions IN the ring, but after moving up from 60% to 90%, I did feel his checks that night.

That being said, this should not deter the frequent fighter from purchasing the X-Trainers. Most coaches don't have their students spar at that high of impact. If you're looking to step into the cage/ring and need a shin guard that doesn't move--AND if you're planning on doin medium to light sparring-- then I don't see why you can't save $30 and go with the X-trainers.

If you do go for the Busa's, try FigherWarehouse. Their Busa Instep guards have free shipping and should save you $10.

On a related note, I'm trying out Built to Fight's shin guards. They have a three-strap deal, and I thought it'd be a happy medium between the full neoprene and the straps... it's not. It still moves.
Built to Fight :: Shin Guards :: BTF Shin-Instep Neoprene

Anyway, while I can't speak for the In-steps, the X-trainers do just fine for everything but hard sparring.

Hope this helps. And let me know your decision!

Whoops, sorry about that. In that case, I have the Busa pro instep shin guards. I have yet to try the renegades, but I would think the stability would be similar, but the protection would be much better on the renegades. With the hayabusa grappling guards, you'd definitely feel the checks.

Back