Renan Barao the biggest decline ever?

DeathByCaranos

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Posing a simple question. If Renan Barao loses tonight to Luke Sanders is it the biggest fall from grace ever by a fighter still in fighting age prime. Arguably males are in their fighting/athletic prime around 28-33 years old. Renan was at one point 32-1. He was fun to watch with an explosive and aggressive style. Then T.J. Dillashaw took his soul. This is possibly the greatest decline I can recall ever of a fighter that was still young. Frankie cracking Grey Maynard's jaw also comes to mind.

So am I missing anyone or is this the worst decline ever?

BTW I think he wins tomorrow. I think Luke Sanders isn't good enough to be in the UFC, but if I am wrong and Luke wins I think it will be hard to argue against Renan having the greatest decline ever.

One of, no doubt.
Johnny Hendricks too. I thought he won all his title fights.

Maybe not GOAT decline but top 5 in my book.

Henan on the EARLY prelims. That's tough. I wish him well and would like to see him win a few fights here. If not he should shut it down. He had an amazing run and this sport has a way of going away from you very fast.

Either him or Johny Hendricks. Barao going from Main Event 7 fights ago to Pre-Prelims is rough.

Its Johnny Hendricks by a mile
I think he's up there for sure after the introduction of USADA but if you look at the competition I have to go with Renan. Johny's decline started in 2015-2016 when USADA came into the UFC. Johny lost to Stephen Thompson, Kelvin Gatelum, Neil Magny, Tim Boetsch, and Paulo Costo. Some title contenders and prospects in there with the exception of the barbarian Tim Boetsch. Meanwhile Renan lost to T.J. Dillashaw(x2), Jeremy Stephens, Aljamain Sterling, Brian Kelleher, and Andre Ewell. Some decent fighters as well, including a champ, until you get towards his most recent fights when he lost to bottom of the division fighters like Andre Ewell and Brian Kelleher.

I think the weight cuts have been hard on him. I thought he'd be at 145 long ago.

Back