Renan Barao looks shot whether its the cut or TJ fights

My friend trains with tj, he said tj was straight up killing people in training camp for the barao fights. Also said tj just legit likes to hurt people.

World beater aside, I really wish he'd put a shirt on sometimes.

He just fought someone faster and better, he can still dominate the rest of the guys like he use to

be careful young son, there could be a mod among us

True, but Chael himself said he was on everything under the sun. It's different than if I alluded to someone who hadn't been busted twice for taking Vitamin T.

Some guys just don't have it mentally to recover from an arse whooping.

It's not like Barao was losing, he was winning all the rounds before the finish but you expect more from a guy who was thought to be the number one guy in the world at his weight class. It looked like a pretty competitive fight.
People were also saying TJ looked unimpressive vs. Joe Soto. You can't look godly every fight.

I'd still favor Barao over anyone except TJ and maybe the elusive creature "healthy" Cruz.
I don't feel like Barao has fallen off that much. He's just met his Dennis Hallman in Dillashaw. He looked very crisp in that first round but TJ was just better.
Hallman? That's an insult to TJ. Hellman was never "better" than Hughes. TJ is legit the best in the world.

He wasn't a bad matchup for Barao - he's a bad matchup for everybody.
An absolutely world beater that magically fell off in the midst of their athletic prime of 27 years old. If there was some other factor that could have attributed to such a precipitous decline. I'm at a loss anyone have any ideas?
Please. Did you see pics of him for that fight? Barao was jacked out of his mind. Abs thick solid tight as hell.

If he was on something (which I very much doubt) he still is. Not why he looked worse. Dude just fought a much better fighter.

Huge Barao fan,and I think you're right. TJ took his soul. I thought he was simply out of shape and didn't take seriously his opponent vs Gagnon,or at least I wanted to believe that. And I still can't believe how he is now. He went 5 rounds with Faber and 4 rounds vs McDonald,and in the 2nd TJ fight he was swinging like an amateur and totally gassed after 2 rounds. People say it's the weight cut, I don't think so. I mean,in 2013 he had no problem and now he has 2 rounds in the tank? He needs to find motivation again.

I think he should move to FW. TJ is just a bad matchup for him and Cruz might be too.

Could be the weight cut but we need to see him fight someone other than TJ, Barao didn't look that great against Mitch.

It's because Barao was never as good as the UFC or his fans made him out to be, especially Dana White saying he's P4P #1, LOL. I've always felt he was overrated.

Don't get me wrong, going 32-1 before losing is super impressive, but Barao hadn't fought anybody THAT great before losing to TJ. He's had A LOT of favourable match ups.

You could always see Barao's defensive holes on the feet and it was only a matter of time before someone took advantage of it. I remember when basically everybody was saying Barao was going to make short work of TJ but a few people and myself said TJ was going to give him a very tough fight and then TJ won. Ah, it felt good to be a TJ fan, a TJ fan before he ever won the belt like so many people who only recently jumped on the train. :cool:

Nah, but really, I've always felt Barao was kind of overrated.

I expect some hate for this, but that's just how I feel. He's got so many holes on the feet.. and the P4P #1 shit from Dana.. just hilarious. Barao was never P4P #1. Never. Aldo was always ahead of him and is just a much better fighter than him, especially the striking, Aldo is 100x the striker.

Rage on, Barao fans.

It's because Barao was never as good as the UFC or his fans made him out to be, especially Dana White saying he's P4P #1, LOL. I've always felt he was overrated.

Don't get me wrong, going 32-1 before losing is super impressive, but Barao hadn't fought anybody THAT great before losing to TJ. He's had A LOT of favourable match ups.

You could always see Barao's defensive holes on the feet and it was only a matter of time before someone took advantage of it. I remember when basically everybody was saying Barao was going to make short work of TJ but a few people and myself said TJ was going to give him a very tough fight and then TJ won. Ah, it felt good to be a TJ fan, a TJ fan before he ever won the belt like so many people who only recently jumped on the train. :cool:

Nah, but really, I've always felt Barao was kind of overrated.

I expect some hate for this, but that's just how I feel. He's got so many holes on the feet.. and the P4P #1 shit from Dana.. just hilarious. Barao was never P4P #1. Never. Aldo was always ahead of him and is just a much better fighter than him, especially the striking, Aldo is 100x the striker.

Rage on, Barao fans.

Saying he was #1 was obviously too much,but you can't say everyone thought that because Dana said it. Do I need to remind all the senseless crap Dana said? :rolleyes:

Saying he was overrated because of Dana is a bit exaggerate. And saying he won only because he had good matchups is ridiculous and diminishes Tj's wins over him. He faced excellent wrestlers(Scott and Faber) and excellent strikers(Pickett Wineland McDonald). Just winning twice vs Faber is a huge accomplishment in a fighter's career.

TJ beat the piss out of Barao. That shit was like a cartoon, everywhere Renan punched Dillashaw wasn't. I truly believe he will never be the same again.

tumblr_n64z2qnmnx1qa33wlo1_500.gif

this is imo one of the most clear examples of a loss affecting someones confidence ive seen in years

Saying he was #1 was obviously too much,but you can't say everyone thought that because Dana said it. Do I need to remind all the senseless crap Dana said? :rolleyes:

Saying he was overrated because of Dana is a bit exaggerate. And saying he won only because he had good matchups is ridiculous and diminishes Tj's wins over him. He faced excellent wrestlers(Scott and Faber) and excellent strikers(Pickett Wineland McDonald). Just winning twice vs Faber is a huge accomplishment in a fighter's career.

I'm not saying he's overrated because of the shit Dana said - I said he's overrated because I've always felt he was overrated in the first place.

I believe he's overrated because of what his fans say, mostly. His fans would say crazy shit. They talked him up to the point it was just nuts. You can watch Barao long before his loss to TJ and you can see his holes, they're HUGE. TJ was the only guy who could really capitalize on it (McDonald did for a little while until he slowed down) but I've always felt Barao would lose to Cruz and believe he would lose to Assuncao, too.

His fans would talk him up like he's as good as Aldo. Even when Dana white said he's P4P #1, a lot of his fans bit onto that shit and would start saying and believing it when in reality he wasn't even close to P4P #1.

Barao just isn't as good as so many said he was, in my opinion. It's just my opinion. I feel he was vastly overrated when he was the on his way to becoming the champion and when he was the champ. His fans made him out to be some destroyer of worlds and when he finally fought someone who was truly elite and not one-dimensional, he got his ass whupped with ease.

I hope we see Cruz outclass him someday, or that Barao wins a few and gets another shot at TJ so we can see TJ give him another epic beating. :icon_twis

Barao came to the cross road
that all great fighters come to.
When they face someone better
than them on one particular night
& either chooses to learn & be
inspired to be greater... or falter
under the pressure of their failures.

I saw that he didn't respond terribly
well against Gagnon. & a minute & a half
into the rematch with TJ... I knew he still
hasn't recovered & regrouped adequately.
As a fan, I hope that it is due to some type
of aspect of his training or coaching or
personal methods & philosophies that can
be improved upon with diligence & time.
& also as a fan, I hope that it isn't because
of some traumatic brain injuries he may
have sustained from the first fight.

I always make it a point to bring up Barao's
heart in my posts about that first fight (which I love).
Barao stood in the pocket & defended his title & his
honor til the very end. Throwing heat. Despite being
outclassed & rocked from the start. Even if he doesn't
reclaim his greatness, I appreciate him for his moments
of glory. Because he was pretty much all that you could
ask for in a champion. Well rounded, durable, aggressive
& a finisher. You can't say that about a lot of champions in mma.

Last edited:
I think Barao just needs to take a year off and go on a vacation to clear his mind.
That's why Frank Mir did and look at him now he's doing great.

Yeah guy is only 28 a year off would do him well.

TJ stole his soul. Don't expect to see Barao with a belt again. Ever.

Back