Rename Weight Classes?

ManofSteel

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so I have noticed a consistent trend by casual fans in MMA and other combat sports to favour larger fighters. People seem to prefer larger men fighting, maybe it's their higher KO power, their size or just their debatable status as the "baddest men on the planet." For a long time in boxing, Mike Tyson was the heavyweight king that caused a new wave of popularity for the sport.

In contrast to the world of boxing in the 1990's, I would argue that our heavyweights are one of the weakest, most shallow of the UFC's 9 divisions (excluding the women). They do have more finishes than other divisions, but they also have many disappointing performances, primarily because of cardio shortcomings. Lightweights on the other hand are the among the best performing and traditionally the most developed of all the weight classes (yes featherweight is developing nicely too and welterweight as well, but over the long run), yet their champions are NEVER ppv draws.

My point? I would actually alter the name of the weight classes to appeal to casual fans. Few people seem to realize (of the casual community) that most "average" men (statistically the average American male is 5'10 and roughly 170-180 lbs) would actually compete at Lightweight, giving into account weight cutting. Now with additional mass building and proper nutrition and training, they may be able to compete at welterweight, but I believe the perception of lightweight and below of being "shrimps" and so forth comes from their names. Featherweight sounds TINY, despite the fact that Aldo is not a small man in terms of frame. Anyways here are my suggestions for changes.

265 = Heavyweight
205 = Cruiserweight
185 = Light Heavyweight
170 = Middleweight
155 = Welterweight
145 = Lightweight
135 = Featherweight
125 = Bantamweight

I believe marketing the classes in this way will appeal far better to casual fans and in my opinion, make more sense in terms of meaning.

Discuss. Insanity? What say you?

How about start at "Lightweight," and add "Super Heavyweight" and "Super Motherfucking Busweiser Gatorade Beatdown Weight?"

Keep them all the same, if anything, add a cruiserweight 206-225.

good idea, ain't no one lining up to see men with the weight of a fly fight.

Keep them all the same, if anything, add a cruiserweight 206-225.

Not a bad idea, there is already a clear divide between the beasts of HW and the lighter, more athletic half of the division.

what ts is saying is actually true, when people I know hear lightweight they think of really little men. Lw's are actually fairly big when not cutting

I could easily see most HW's that weigh 250 or less cutting to 225. Would be an interesting division.

I agree. There are some LHW out there that are too small for the division which is why they could go down to 185. Just look at some of the fighters Jones has recently fought, Vitor,Chael,Machida, all make 185. No way Jones makes 185. Dude is far too big. So another division will be good, have that in-betwen, HW-LH.

MMA has its own paradigm. Remixing it at this point won't help to further establish it so much as confuse people.

Wouldn't be opposed to this.

I dont know man. If there is a 225 class, a lot of the smaller heavyweights will go to it, leaving heavyweight full of ogres who gas in 4 mins. Right now watching smaller heavyweights run clinics on monsters is a big appeal to that class (cain bigfoot for example). I personally like the weight classes that there are, there's too many as it is.

I say change what you like but make HW the 'JustBleed' Weight.

MMA has its own paradigm. Remixing it at this point won't help to further establish it so much as confuse people.

MMA isn't get any more popular than it is. And if people are worried, I am sure they will give a brief description of what the division is. Not that big of a deal.

MMA isn't get any more popular than it is. And if people are worried, I am sure they will give a brief description of what the division is. Not that big of a deal.

According to Google Trends its been getting more popular worldwide. When you plot it on a graph it looks like a rocket taking off since 2005.

So, reality disagrees with your point.

According to Google Trends its been getting more popular worldwide. When you plot it on a graph it looks like a rocket taking off since 2005.

So, reality disagrees with your point.

It hit it's pinnacle a 2-3 years ago, I don't think it's expanding at least here in the US. The fad died down.

No.. Just no. If you're gonna do anything then it would be make 206-225 a Cruiserweight division.. Don't rename other weight classes.

Back