reminder: InoGOAT vs Donaire is on Thursday at 6am-ish est

Just rewatched the count. The ref got to 9 and then Donaire popped back up. He was about 200 milliseconds away from being counted out.

i'm really not trying to start any shit here, but you need to watch it again. the ref is literally showing him 10 fingers here. that's the count of 10.

178200i.png

it's after the ref stops counting that donaire gets up. it's also 13 seconds after he took the knee, on top of having the ref blocking naoya.

i love me some nonito and i'm glad he made it to the end of the fight, but he was counted out here.

i'm really not trying to start any shit here, but you need to watch it again. the ref is literally showing him 10 fingers here. that's the count of 10.

178200i.png

it's after the ref stops counting that donaire gets up. it's also 13 seconds after he took the knee, on top of having the ref blocking naoya.

i love me some nonito and i'm glad he made it to the end of the fight, but he was counted out here.
I thought the ref blocking Inoue was really weird. I’ve never seen that before. I think the fight would have been over then if he’d just stayed out of the way.

178200i.png

I agree with you that he should've been officially counted out. However, it's by the ref's count and not by how many seconds have actually passed. The ref coordinates with the timekeeper to pick up the count if needed but beyond that each represented "second" is just counting to 10. The ref started at 1 and reached 9. He did stop counting which allowed just enough time for Nonito to pop back up. Notice the ref was startled by that and 10 never came. From and inclusive of the start of the count until Nonito is back up he flashes his hands 9 times. The number of seconds that have elapsed doesn't matter, only the ref's count does.

I thought the ref blocking Inoue was really weird. I’ve never seen that before. I think the fight would have been over then if he’d just stayed out of the way.
when nonito walked away and the ref blocked naoya, i first thought it must've been a low blow. maybe the ref thought the same?

if not, maybe he thought donaire would drop the knee immediately? but then when he didn't, doesn't deliberately turning your back to your opponent mean the fight should be waved off?

I agree with you that he should've been officially counted out. However, it's by the ref's count and not by how many seconds have actually passed. The ref coordinates with the timekeeper to pick up the count if needed but beyond that each represented "second" is just counting to 10. The ref started at 1 and reached 9. He did stop counting which allowed just enough time for Nonito to pop back up. Notice the ref was startled by that and 10 never came. From and inclusive of the start of the count until Nonito is back up he flashes his hands 9 times. The number of seconds that have elapsed doesn't matter, only the ref's count does.
i said it in my original post, i'm not going to blame the ref for the count taking 13 seconds, it's difficult to measure it perfectly. it just sucks, because with the ref first blocking inoue and then giving nonito a slow count, it's a lot closer to 15 seconds, but i guess these things happen occasionally.

i had my post written out about how the number of times he flashes his hands at the fighter shouldn't really matter precisely because he picks up the count from the ringside timekeeper, but the fact that he shows him 10 fingers should mean it's a count of ten.

it now occurs to me that it is in fact possible this ref just has a really odd way of counting with his fingers. i suppose the thumb on his left hand could be curled in the image i posted, which would make it a 9.

i said it in my original post, i'm not going to blame the ref for the count taking 13 seconds, it's difficult to measure it perfectly. it just sucks, because with the ref first blocking inoue and then giving nonito a slow count, it's a lot closer to 15 seconds, but i guess these things happen occasionally.

i had my post written out about how the number of times he flashes his hands at the fighter shouldn't really matter precisely because he picks up the count from the ringside timekeeper, but the fact that he shows him 10 fingers should mean it's a count of ten.

it now occurs to me that it is in fact possible this ref just has a really odd way of counting with his fingers. i suppose the thumb on his left hand could be curled in the image i posted, which would make it a 9.
I typically go by the number of times the ref has flashed their hands because it's generally much harder to miss regardless of your vantage point. I have seen refs mess up the count with their fingers a few times and I do wonder if it was done on purpose to manipulate the count (long/slow count). I've never liked that refs aren't required to use a stopwatch for the count because it can easily be as fast or slow as they like and that leaves more room for fuckery.

I typically go by the number of times the ref has flashed their hands because it's generally much harder to miss regardless of your vantage point. I have seen refs mess up the count with their fingers a few times and I do wonder if it was done on purpose to manipulate the count (long/slow count). I've never liked that refs aren't required to use a stopwatch for the count because it can easily be as fast or slow as they like and that leaves more room for fuckery.
Yeh, they should all have to wear a clock around thei necks Flava Flav style ;)

This was a really good fight. Like others have said I thought Inoue deserved the stoppage in the 11th. What a peach of a left hook to the body. Nonito showed up to fight and was able to imposed hissize and strength for stretches, but credit to Inoue for showing a sturdy chin, good resolve, and top fighting spirit.

all right so i just watched the fight again.

donaire was counted out in the 11th. the ref literally counted all the way to 10, even showed him 10 fingers, and then donaire popped back up. you can see naoya in the background pointing at him like "there, that's ten!!"

so not only did the ref stop him from swarming, which gave donaire a solid couple of seconds extra to recover, he also didn't call the fight when he rightfully should have.

donaire spent roughly 13 seconds down, which i'm not going to hold against the ref, it's difficult to count out a precise 10 seconds... but if you get to ten and the guy is down, he's done.
Yeah I noticed this as well. I was watching the refs count and he definitely got to ten before Donaire got up. That and he blocked Inoue from following up on the initial liver shot.

WOW! What an amazing fight! Donaire did very well. Great win for Inoue, congratulations to him on winning the belt and Ali Trophy!

Back