REMINDER: Canelo is very good.

The Dude has had some questionable decisions, but he has a fantastic resume and is an awesome fighter

I am a fan of him for sure!

Since his loss to Floyd, he's faced Lara, Cotto, Jacobs and Golovkin. Spurious judging abounds. Puts me off.

I don't even know if pac has a great win. But I'd call him a great fighter even though I don't like him really.
Whatever you smoking...i want some of that...
Thurman
Broner
Marquez
Morales
Barrera
Mosley
Dela Hoya
Hatton
Matthysse
Rios
Vargas
Bradley
Algieri

Canelo should be a competitive eater since he ate 35lbs of tainted meat to get the test results he got.

Thurman
Broner
Marquez
Morales
Barrera
Mosley
Dela Hoya
Hatton
Matthysse
Rios
Vargas
Bradley
Algieri
You'd call Rios Vargas and algerei "great wins"

I can't even see an argument of those being great wins. And you legit bolded my point about great wins. I could see an argument but for your list you might as well have added Josh clottey

Chatchai Sasakul in my opinion is a very solid win early in Manny’s career that deserves to be mentioned whenever you put together a list of impressive opponents that Pacquiao has beaten

You'd call Rios Vargas and algerei "great wins"

I can't even see an argument of those being great wins. And you legit bolded my point about great wins. I could see an argument but for your list you might as well have added Josh clottey
The line up was solid...Find me a better resume than that other than Floyd's...

I said not one single match was a great moment then you list matches that are vs B levels.

Sure combined he had a great career although you picked some really weird matches.

You put Brandon Rios above his Hatton win lol.

Thurman
Broner
Marquez
Morales
Barrera
Mosley
Dela Hoya
Hatton
Matthysse
Rios
Vargas
Bradley
Algieri

My favourite performances of his were against Barrera 1 and against Hatton, I remember the Barrera win was referred to by Jim Lampley "a result that will send shockwaves through the sport" but Barrera doesn't seem to be that highly regarded on this board.

I said not one single match was a great moment then you list matches that are vs B levels.

Sure combined he had a great career although you picked some really weird matches.

That list wasn't in order bro....just letting you know the opponents pacman faced are who's who in boxing...

Lol...really not one single match? Do you even know how many belts and division the man unified?

Lol...really not one single match? Do you even know how many belts and division the man unified?
Again I keep on saying one specific match and you keep on listing things that took multiple.

JCC Sr comes to mind. There's also a case for Sanchez. Granted, his career didn't last much, but Gomez, Laporte, Danny Lopez x 2 and Nelson are a bunch of very solid wins.

Then there's Ricardo Lopez. And guys with great resumes even if they have more losses. Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Zarate, Olivares... Let's wait a bit before we put Canelo above all of them.
I'd say that putting Canelo in the top 5 Mexican boxers of all times is definitely a stretch at this point in time. he has the ability to do it, but he needs more time. Luckily for him he is only 29, so he has plenty.

You mentioned a ton of great boxers. I'd put plenty of them above Canelo presently.

Chavez sr is always where the safe money goes in terms of greatest and most accomplished Mexican boxer of all time, but I personally think Salvador Sanchez was the best Mexican boxer period. He had the speed, endurance, counters, and ring IQ to beat Chavez had they ever fought. I remember reading that Chavez was on the horizon for Sanchez in their early years before Sanchez died. In an ironic sense, Sanchez's death was a blessing for Chavez's career because Sanchez would have taken the 0 that defined most of Chavez's career.

Such a shame that Sanchez died so young.

Last edited:
My favourite performances of his were against Barrera 1 and against Hatton, I remember the Barrera win was referred to by Jim Lampley "a result that will send shockwaves through the sport" but Barrera doesn't seem to be that highly regarded on this board.

Barrera was definitely a "great" in his own right and I imagine most on this board agree. Pac's first win over him was one of the best wins of the last 20 years.

Canelo's accomplishments likely already give him the status of greatness, but like a few have mentioned, he has a ways to go before he's right at the top of the ATG Mexican list. I'd still have Chavez, Olivares, Marquez, and Sanchez definitely ahead of him. Guys like Morales, Barrera, Zarate and Lopez would also have real arguments for being ahead of him, too.

It's really hard to rate someone higher than Chavez Sr. Kovalev win makes it comparable but don't know if automatically puts him higher but I'd be open to someone's opinion it does.
Chavez sr and marquez*

I think canelos resume is already comparable to Marquez I think the Kovalev win should it happen puts him above. But it is an if

Stripped of his belt. Can’t wait for the he ducked a 13-1 fighter...

Middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez is in the market once again for a fall opponent after negotiations for one of his mandatory defenses against Sergiy Derevyanchenko ended with no deal on Thursday afternoon and resulted in his being stripped of the IBF 160-pound title.

gJMerIh.gif

Canelo bodying a convicted sex offender. Good? Dude is a borderline superhero.

Back