REMINDER: Canelo is very good.

He needed a bloody, gritty battle to get a new status. The GGG rematch provided it. He’ll be in the greatest Mexican discussion soon enough, and his prime can last several more years. Of course a Kovalev win would greatly help. It will be interesting to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
If he won a championship at Lightheavy against one of the top 2 LHWs of the past decade, I can't imagine who you'd rate higher.
It's really hard to rate someone higher than Chavez Sr. Kovalev win makes it comparable but don't know if automatically puts him higher but I'd be open to someone's opinion it does.

If he won a championship at Lightheavy against one of the top 2 LHWs of the past decade, I can't imagine who you'd rate higher.

Because Kovalev isn't at the same point in his career as a few years ago (not in a good way). He is there for the taking. If Canelo beat Ward then I'd agree with you.

Because he ruined Golovkin's unblemished record.

To be fair, the catch weight stuff rubbed some people the wrong way. I just figure he had to do it to get a couple of big fights so he made a few guys do it to get a shot at him. There were no catch weights in his most important fights.
Nothing wrong with playing the A-side. He wasn't going to lose any of those fights anyway.

I'm actually amused, because I think posters here thought I was trying to slash him down with the "no flash/all substance" line, but I was being serious. Complete fighter, super polished and doesn't seem to have an ounce of fear.

His gameplan never wavers, 12 round fighter, KO power, underrated technician, masterful really at this point, doesn't rush anything or try to force outcomes, cool headed under pressure, takes the big fights... what more does a fan want to see?

Sometimes I wonder if people really enjoy the sport or just align with a fighter and focus on one guy the entire fight, because Canelo hate just doesn't make sense to me at all. If you appreciate boxing skill and respect the sport as a whole, Canelo should be a list topper.

Because someone made a dumb thread about him not being very good. So I made a dumb but more accurate thread.

Stating the obvious isn't necessary if something else is collectively recognized as erroneous.

Canelo is a tremendous boxer and I like his willingness to take some of the fights he has taken.

I will always take exception to the fact thst he is officially a PED cheat (by the way fighters that have used VADA and not failed get more shit than Canelo who was leveraged into VADA and then failed it). and that he waited on GGG until 2017 when 2015 had everything line up for their fight except his willingness. I will also take exception to the suspect scoring in many of his fights, but I recognize that that is not his fault, so I won't hold that against the man.

Again, Canelo is a great boxer, bht my opinion is tempered based on the above. I am certainly not ever going to be some fanboy excusing the above.

Because Kovalev isn't at the same point in his career as a few years ago (not in a good way). He is there for the taking. If Canelo beat Ward then I'd agree with you.
Well, who could you rate higher?

his first showing against ggg was pathetic. ggg chased him from one side of the ring to the other. he made up for it a bit in the second encounter.

Hey, what the hell happened to my thread?

I know. what's your point? I'm not a fan of overrated GGG. Who waited his whole career to step up. And ducked getting his ass kicked by Ward.
What was the point of bringing up PED user line? It's over. He was clean in the rematch and fucked GGG up. He keeps winning.

Other fighters, boom popped, there's a short period of time people mention it, then dude comes back after suspension and nobody cares if he's back winning again.

With Canelo, people just aren't letting go, like you. they bought the whole narrative he was some hype job or getting gift decisions, and at some he kicked the ass of a guy they backed, and now they hate Canelo like he tapped their GF.

"Oh he just rubs me the wrong way" Yeah right, everyone. Thats my favorite. You probably all yell shit like "boom, how do you like THAT pretty boy? Welcome to the pros!", every time someone lands a clean punch on the guy. Face it, he's kicking everyone's asses rn and living up to the hype.

his first showing against ggg was pathetic. ggg chased him from one side of the ring to the other. he made up for it a bit in the second encounter.

You should seriously watch it again.

You see canelo could never please the haters. You make it impossible. Ward is retired in case you didn't know. But of course you knew.

You should seriously watch it again.
just watched it recently. when i originally watched it, i thought canelo did alright (landed the cleaner shots), but on review, he fought a terrible fight. every power shot he landed ggg countered, ggg out jabbed him something fierce, and he run/fought extremely defensively. it was actually a fairly on sided match if you discount the half a dozen clean punches canelo landed. maybe you should rewatch it if you think canelo performed well in that fight.

Back