Reminder: Canelo is not that good

i honestly didn't think he looked any worse when he fought jacobs, but he was 34. you're making it sound as if his performances couldn't possibly have anything to do with leaving his physical prime, and he could only look worse because he was facing better fighters.

is it that far fetched that it's a combination of both? he was 33 when he wrecked lemieux and looked to be sharp as all hell. he was a month shy of 35 when he beat jacobs. 35 when he fought canelo, 36 when he fought him the second time.

so yeah, it is funny, but not really the way you're implying. it's funny because "the elite" was nowhere to be found with a contract and a pen before the guy turned 34. which, for the style of fighting he has and the amount of fights he's had both as an amateur and a pro, is pretty fucking old.
Fighters don't get "old" at any set age. People who insist Golovkins age is the reason he began looking beatable are just basing that on a number. A number and the disappointment in realizing GGG wasn't the invincible beast he was hyped up to be. The increase in quality of opposition is undeniable though. Unlike the age theory.

Fighters don't get "old" at any set age. People who insist Golovkins age is the reason he began looking beatable are just basing that on a number. A number and the disappointment in realizing GGG wasn't the invincible beast he was hyped up to be. The increase in quality of opposition is undeniable though. Unlike the age theory.
so he wasn't 35 when he fought canelo the first time and 36 when he fought him the second time?

or are you disputing the "theory" that fighters will often be out of their physical prime at 35?

His biggest win is an undefeated P4P ranked , long reigning middleweight champ who is still otherwise undefeated. He's also beaten the likes of Lara, Cotto and Jacobs.

That win was so close its very disputed and apart from that hes just beaten a bunch of good fighters or over the hill former top guys like Cotto and Mosley. As Teddy says, 'greatness' is thrown around way too easily these days because people are so desperate for it.

I don't think he would be very competitive with any of the former greats of his divisions, let alone beat them.

As for GGG, another hype job who the hell's he ever beat?

he's not that much better than the top guys
in several times the dec could have gone the other way, and he hasn't ever been dominant compared to the greats
but so happens he gets a ton of promotion, and a lot of support
he's good but is a little overblown

His career is built on controversial decisions and strange judging.

Controversial vs Lara trout and GGG. Plus a strange draw gift vs Floyd.

Has some good wins like vs Jacobs. But lacks that truly great win.

Every Canelo fight has 2 possibilities. If he's fighting a guy whose clearly not on his level or small (kirkland or khan) I will expect a finish. If he fights a guy whose on his level, I know a close decision is coming.

Has some good wins like vs Jacobs. But lacks that truly great win.

Every Canelo fight has 2 possibilities. If he's fighting a guy whose clearly not on his level or small (kirkland or khan) I will expect a finish. If he fights a guy whose on his level, I know a close decision is coming.

Well, even a fearsome finisher like GGG didn't finish his world-class opponents (Jacobs and Alvarez).

He clearly got a few fishy cards favoring him widely, but overall there is certainly a strong case for his winning every JD (or draw) he got after his competitive fights.

As for said great win, man, GGG 2 is one hell of a fight.

so he wasn't 35 when he fought canelo the first time and 36 when he fought him the second time?

or are you disputing the "theory" that fighters will often be out of their physical prime at 35?
I already told you. Fighters don't get old at a set age. 30, 35, 37, 40. No number will ever be a fact no matter how much you insist on it.

I already told you. Fighters don't get old at a set age. 30, 35, 37, 40. No number will ever be a fact no matter how much you insist on it.
Look at this guy who thinks 40-year-old fighters aren't old. What is old for a fighter then? 50 years old? 60? 97? Are they forever young?

Look at this guy who thinks 40-year-old fighters aren't old. What is old for a fighter then? 50 years old? 60? 97? Are they forever young?
apparently, because not literally everyone declines at the exact same age, it becomes completely irrelevant.

oh you're a 36 year old pressure fighter with 40 pro and hundreds of amateur fights? some other fighter still won a title at 36, so you can't possibly be past your prime.

if it takes that many your definitely not a great puncher. don't get me wrong, i know the guy has some serious skills, but i hate fighters that cut a lot of weight and i just don't find him that entertaining. (also unlike a lot, i'm not interested in his appearance)
I agree he's not a massive power puncher.

Anyone could see Floyd lost a few steps between the ages of 30 and 40.

Floyd is Floyd and between 30 and 40 is a big span of time.
30 year old Floyd is not 40 year old Floyd is the point. Age may effect fighters in different ways but it effects them all.

Shitty thread, as others pointed out.

Lost to Floyd at 23, big deal. Golovkin in his prime? Everyone was convinced that Canelo would get murdered by GGG and that he was ducking him. He fought him twice and gave him his first loss.

Canelo is a fantastic fighter and will go down as an ATG. He's fought and beat many different styles. In the span of four fights he fought Mayweather, Trout and Lara. That's a tough road.

Shitty thread, as others pointed out.

Lost to Floyd at 23, big deal. Golovkin in his prime? Everyone was convinced that Canelo would get murdered by GGG and that he was ducking him. He fought him twice and gave him his first loss.

Canelo is a fantastic fighter and will go down as an ATG. He's fought and beat many different styles. In the span of four fights he fought Mayweather, Trout and Lara. That's a tough road.
But remember GGG was old by then so that Canelo performance was not so great. If they had fought 1 year earlier surely GGG would have won by 3rd round ko.....

Nothing about Canelo really knocks my socks off and it's kind of sad that he's the reigning superstar of boxing, but you can't say he isn't a very good fighter. He seems to improve with every fight and may eventually retire with one of the most impressive list of big name fights of any boxer.
Decent power, solid chin, entertaining style, pretty cool defense and he tries to adapt to all types of fighters, what's not to like? he's a great champion.

For one thing, he's far from done, for another, guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao don't come along every five minutes. Those are generational talents and All Time Greats.
Agree. Canelo is great but those once in a life time fighters are special, we won't be seeing their type anytime soon.

Last edited:
Everyone was convinced that Canelo would get murdered by GGG and that he was ducking him.
That's exactly what Canelo did. Ducked Golovkin for 2 years until Golovkin was 35, STILL got his ass kicked then waited on Golockin for 1 more year and finally got a decision win. He gets no credit from me.

That's exactly what Canelo did. Ducked Golovkin for 2 years until Golovkin was 35, STILL got his ass kicked then waited on Golockin for 1 more year and finally got a decision win. He gets no credit from me.
Lol. Got his ass kicked huh.

Good thing credit from you means less than nothing.

How come all the crybabies still picked Golovkin to knock Canelos head off? He was old and washed up right? Whyd you pick him to win?

Back