Remembering Karl Gotch

KJGould

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Died just over 3 years ago, 28th July 2007. Survived 3 years in a German Labour Camp during World War 2. Represented Belgium in the 1948 Olympics in amateur wrestling. Learned Catch wrestling at the famous Snake Pit in Wigan under Billy Joyce and Billy Riley. Wrestled in Japan beating all comers in legit shoot matches, becoming known as the God of Pro Wrestling.

Taught Antonio Inoki, Hiro Matsuda, Tatsumi Fujinami, Yoshiyaki Fujiwara, Satoru Sayama, and Akira Maeda among others.

Cornered Inoki in his match with Muhammed Ali.

Coined the name 'Pancrase' from pankration, for the shootfighting organisation in Japan we know spawned Funaki, the Shamrocks and Bas Rutten as well as had champions in Josh Barnett and Nate Marquardt.

Gone but hopefully never forgotten.

Gotch on Wrestling / Grappling:

"Wrestling is opposite of what people think it is, it is not strength but knowledge, balance, and timing, leverage and where to place the fulcrum, that

karlgotch_magazine.gif
Gotch/Barnett

Karl%20Gotch%20and%20Masahiko.jpg
Gotch/Kimura

karl+
Gotch/Ripped

Gotch and his near brush with BJJ

Inoki leads Ivan to Japan

In Curitiba, Ivan Antonio Inoki challenged that according to his brother, Jos

Gotch and his near brush with BJJ

Google Translate

I wasn't sure, but I looked at that page and the translation could be interpreted as Gotch not wanting to face the Brazillian.

Could do with a better translation then google, if anyone could help out?

Inoki leva Ivan para o Jap

more about Gotch:

In 1950 Riley opened The Snake Pit with a Spartan training regimen, a low threshold for whiners, and no tolerance for women and children. It would become one of catch wrestling’s greatest historical fixtures, turning out some of the best wrestlers to ever live, including a man who would eventually be known as Karl Gotch.

Gotch wrestled in the 1948 Olympics under his birth name of Charles Istaz. After eight years at The Snake Pit, perfecting the art of the catch, he became Karl Krauser and dominated the European wrestling scene. In 1959, he came to the United States as Karl Gotch and quickly established his legacy as one of the greatest true wrestlers to ever step on the mat. It was Gotch who would use catch wrestling to sow the seeds of MMA, but not in America.

BURGEONING PRIDE

Jim Miller invited Gotch to teach his skills in Japan. Starting in 1972, Gotch spent a decade instructing and influencing a slew of who’s who in Japanese wrestling, including Antonio Inoki. In 1976, Inoki promoted a series of mixed martial arts bouts against the champions of other disciplines (including Muhammad Ali), which were hugely popular and gave him a stage to showcase some of Gotch’s favorite moves, like the sleeper hold, cross arm breaker, seated armbar, Indian deathlock, and keylock. Much like Wrestlemania in the 1990s, these matches spread like wildfire in Japan.

During and after his time in Japan, Gotch was a boon to Japanese wrestling, personally teaching many of the greatest wrestlers there, who in turn embraced wrestling the same way Brazil embraced jiu-jitsu. Twelve years after Gotch began his work in Japan, a handful of his students formed the original Universal Wrestling Federation and Shooto, which gave rise to shoot-style wrestling matches and eventually paved the way for MMA in Japan. Catch wrestling is the base of Japan’s martial art of shoot wrestling and has found a home in an ironic case of reverse immigration. Japanese martial arts have been exported throughout the world for centuries. Catch wrestling is the first western martial art to establish a following in Japan.

“Everyone thinks Japanese martial arts are so mystic, but catch wrestling had so many more techniques,” says Shooto champion and MMA trainer Erik Paulson.

“We were learning the north-south choke, the D’Arce choke, the anaconda choke, and the head and arm choke, all those way back in the ‘80s. Nowadays everyone knows them and thinks they come from MMA, but they were really some of the basics of Shooto.”

In the late 1990s, Yuko Miyato established the UWF Snake Pit in Tokyo, Japan, in order to keep the sport of real wrestling and catch-as-catch-can alive. The head coach was Billy Robinson, a wrestling legend who trained at the original Snake Pit in England and who was widely feared and respected in the wrestling community. At the UWF Snake Pit, Robinson trained MMA legend Kazushi Sakuraba and current top-ranked heavyweight Josh Barnett.

“[Catch wrestling] is a root on the tree of MMA,” says Barnett. “Catch went to Brazil with Mitsuyo Maeda, formed the basis of New Japan pro wrestling and later Japanese shooting through Gotch and Robinson, and was an art based on battle testing. It’s aggressive and explosive and has a deep history throughout the world and was my first major exposure to submissions. I see many top amateur wrestlers who go to BJJ gyms because that’s what they think you have to train to learn submission. Most of the time though, those BJJ trainers train the wrestlers in ways that are counter-productive to a wrestler’s skills and strengths.”

“Today’s MMA, modern Olympic wrestling, WWE-style pro wrestling, and even the reality-based self-defense system of Krav Maga are all derivative of catch-ascatch- can,” adds Shannon, whose Web site (AUTHENTIC Catch Wrestling - Welcome to ScientificWrestling.com, the best in Submission Grappling!) is an Internet shrine to catch-as-catch-can. “The father of the founder of Krav Maga, Imi Lichtenfeld, was a carnival acrobat and wrestler who went on to win championships in wrestling before developing the Krav system for the IDF. Even Frank Shamrock credits learning his submissions from Minoru Suzuki in Pancrase, who learned them directly from Karl Gotch.”
Catch As Catch Can | FIGHT! Magazine

I wasn't sure, but I looked at that page and the translation could be interpreted as Gotch not wanting to face the Brazillian.

Could do with a better translation then google, if anyone could help out?

Inoki leva Ivan para o Jap

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn the words "German" and "Brazilian" were the other way around just now :icon_lol:

Gotch spent his last years in Tampa, Florida I believe. How long have you been there? Did you even know?

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn the words "German" and "Brazilian" were the other way around just now :icon_lol:

Gotch spent his last years in Tampa, Florida I believe. How long have you been there? Did you even know?

I had no idea I have been here most of my life except for a few years beween 98-01.

My understanding is several CACC based grapplers have lived in the area at one time or another but at the time I did not know.

it's kind of a shame when these old fightsport masters die, the new generation doesn't seem to be as good. too much wanting to shortcut things about techniques and conditioning, and arrogance. it's true in boxing and doubtless others more wise than I could make the case for the other major sports.

I read where roger gracie dominates because he uses basic techniques for example.

it's kind of a shame when these old fightsport masters die, the new generation doesn't seem to be as good. too much wanting to shortcut things about techniques and conditioning, and arrogance. it's true in boxing and doubtless others more wise than I could make the case for the other major sports.

I read where roger gracie dominates because he uses basic techniques for example.

you are crazy

Back