Remembering a Legend Ricardo Lopez

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by kingobould***, Sep 1, 2010.

1. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

At 51-0 38 by ko. He has to be the most underrated fighter. I hardly ever hear him mentioned with the greatests. Maybe its the size but Lopez is one of the most complete fighters I have ever seen.

[YT]fQfc58XeQXQ&p=75C5B4DE8BE960A4&playnext=1&index=23[/YT]

2. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

ya, i didn't get to see as much of him as I'd liked, definitely all time great, too bad people base so much on size. I knew watching him just once that he was a great artist.

3. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

welcome to the club !

yup ...hes Mr Perfect.

4. McMurder

McMurder Blue Belt

great video, I recently heard Nazim talking about him being his favorite fighter and also saying that he was undefeated in the amateurs as well.

go to 2:32

5. Bob Dole

Bob Dole White Belt

Finito was the man! One of the most techinially sound fighters of all time.

6. GalegoREB

GalegoREB He Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing

Ricardo Lopez was undoubtedly one of the most technical boxers ever. However I think that is underrated status is his fault. If he had go up on weight and fought the likes of michael cabrajal and humberto gonzales, maybe things would be diferent...

7. dust

dust Yellow Belt

51-0-1

8. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

hell, forget 2:32, i just favorited the whole interview. Great stuff.

9. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

He was a lot of fun to watch, I remember watching him in the Tito and Chavez undercards, I would highly recommend anybody who is looking to learn boxing from old video tapes or youtube videos to watch Finito.

However, he did get protection from his fight against Alvarez in where I had Alvarez winning, but Finito erased all doubt in the rematch, which happens to be one of my all time favorites fights

10. Joseph Dredd

Joseph Dredd White Belt

if this guy was a welter or any other weight above as a matter of fact, he would have been a huge star, the lower class fighter are severely underrated because of their size , they are some of the finest fighters in boxing

11. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Agreed - I don't understand guys like Dan Rafael rating him P4P Top 20 or 25 when he didn't fight the better guys in the nearby weight classes at the time (IE: Carbajal and Gonzales). It's a similar situation as Khaosai Galaxy: very talented guy but it's hard to judge his true P4P historical greatness given the limited amount of very good/great guys that were fought (and the available opponents at nearby weight ranges). Still, I think Lopez fought a better class of opponent than Galaxy and is a more clear cut HOFer than Galaxy.

12. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

I agree to a certain extent, but let me ask you this. Does a fighter need to go up in weight to prove anything? I love when a fighter challenges himself but I cant knock someone either if they stay at the weight and make a statement that I am the king of this Div.

13. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

I don't think one has to climb weight to become a surefire HOFer (see Carlos Monzon or Marvin Hagler, who were career 160 pounders), but you do need to take on the top guys in your weight range (IE: top WWs/JMW coming up to MW in addition to the best 160 fighters) to establish that you are 'the man' in your weight range.