Remember when Tyron Woodley was ducking challengers?

edit: lol @ his title defenses

4 week camp maia and a draw against wonderboy. wow, real amazing defences.

1st Stephen Thompson fight was great. Go back and watch it and think about the situation - Thompson on a 7 fight streak with wins over former WW champ, future MW champ, and current Bellator champ and a guy who had already defeated Woodley. Thompson was a serious WW contender. That's the standard for a good title defense (although a draw) - go 5 tough rounds against a guy like Thompson who has yet to be finished, in your very first title defense. That was not a boring fight whatsoever.

As far as Maia, go look at his fight against Silva - one of the worst in history. He's a stinker if he can't get someone on the ground. You cant make an exciting fight with him, unless it's Nate Marquardt knocking him off his feet & out cold.

This is Sherdog though, 90% is a bunch of punk kids with zero knowledge of MMA. Every fighter who is winning is overrated, everyone who loses is a bum and washed up, and fights are boring unless someone gets KO'd, right?

I remember he tried doing what Bisping did after 3 title defenses against legit contenders and people were up in arms. Yet they were fine with Bisping doing it. That's how illogical fans are.

To them certain fighters ie... Mcgregor, GSP, Bisping get free passes while the rest have to fight strictly by the book. Go figures

yesterday i read that Woodley denied sitting out for a title shot against Lawler. i thought that was a fact. does anyone care to argue Woodley's side on this, because i think i'm missing something.

I remember after the Gastelum fight he was ducking Lombard pretty hard

He DID duck lombard hard back in the day.

He said the fight wouldn’t look good for his brand.

Not saying he’s ducking challengers, but I’ll never forget the Lombard fiasco

Most of his defenses have been snore-fests, but I don't recall folks calling him a duck tbh.

He has taken on all of the top challengers. Whether fans have an issue with him or not, he's one of the most solid champs in recent times, especially in this era of diva / non-defending champs.

Acouple fights have been lackluster of his but it also takes two to fight but the real snore fest fighters are both wonderboy and till judging by their fights both against tyron and then of course their terrible sparring session they had with each other

Last I remember was Clowington the one that didn't took the fight, Maia and Thompson were the #1 contenders at the time and he fought them, RDA just lost and Lawler was nowhere to be found too.

Because he would always complain about having to fight contenders instead of being awarded "money-fights"
Shouldn't him complain though?
In a time where Lesnar gets a title shot.
Till got a title shot (after not making weight)
Yoel got a title shot (after not making weight)
Cruz is getting a title shot.
Conor is getting a title shot (after 2 years break from the sport)
hell... everyone wants an undeserving title shot.
And everyone gets their money fight!
Bisping got two money fights and fought no contenders in between.

So why would Woodley be different?

Either you allow everyone... no... not even everyone. Every CHAMPION dictate and get their own money fights, or no one.
But so far, only Woodley was forced to defend against top contenders.

He DID duck lombard hard back in the day.

He said the fight wouldn’t look good for his brand.

Not saying he’s ducking challengers, but I’ll never forget the Lombard fiasco

Woodley might be a darling now but LMAO that was hilarious and bad

{<jordan}

You know draws doesn’t count as title defenses right?

They do according to everybody but Shertards.

He's universally credited as having four defenses.

If you retain the belt and it's not an NC, it's a defense.

Either you allow everyone... no... not even everyone. Every CHAMPION dictate and get their own money fights, or no one.

In a perfect world, sure. But if Woodley doesn't draw enough to warrant a money fight, why would UFC give him one?

Lo.bard comes to mind. There was a team factor , but I remember a lot being made about that.

In a perfect world, sure. But if Woodley doesn't draw enough to warrant a money fight, why would UFC give him one?
because it doesn't matter.

He got the belt, which entices the opponent. If it is someone like GSP, DIaz or Conor, it will make money for the UFC.

So at the end of the day, this is a bad excuse.

Sorry, I misspoke.

What I meant to say is that I remember shertards saying The Chosen One was ducking everybody.

I remember him defending the title three times in his first year as champ. He was the most defendingest champ during that time period yet shertards were writing this narrative on how he was ducking people. And after coming back from an injury, totally destroying absentee father Darren Till.

I cant wait to see who Tyron will "duck" and beat next.
Remember when he sat out of mma for a year and a half, ducking contenders cause he believed he was owed a title shot. This while other WWs actually risked their ranking to compete in mma?

He wonders why he's not a draw. Disappears from mma for over a year, gets the belt from robbie who just went through fucking wars, the maia fight was fucking criminal on how scared he found. The guys got the highest TDD rate in the UFC and was scared to engage a 40 yr old bjj guy with lackluster standup.

He gets a pass for Wonderboy though, even though casuals see it differently.

Shouldn't him complain though?
In a time where Lesnar gets a title shot.
Till got a title shot (after not making weight)
Yoel got a title shot (after not making weight)
Cruz is getting a title shot.
Conor is getting a title shot (after 2 years break from the sport)
hell... everyone wants an undeserving title shot.
And everyone gets their money fight!
Bisping got two money fights and fought no contenders in between.

So why would Woodley be different?

But so far, only Woodley was forced to defend against top contenders.

this is the delusional victim mentality that turns away Dana and the fans... yes he is not treated as well as Conor but this does not make the UFC unfair, racist, and evil

If champions got to dictate whatever fights they wanted than someone like Woodley NEVER would have gotten a title shot in the first place

this is the delusional victim mentality that turns away Dana and the fans... yes he is not treated as well as Conor but this does not make the UFC unfair, racist, and evil

If champions got to dictate whatever fights they wanted than someone like Woodley NEVER would have gotten a title shot in the first place
Sorry, but yours is a very stupid point.
If other champions can fight for money, why aren't you crying about all the top contenders who had to sit and wait?
Or worse! The contenders who took a fight while waiting, lost and missed their opportunity to fight for the belt?
Why is it only on WOodley's division that the top contender fights the champion?

And let us remember that Woodley fought all top contenders so far!
Miocic fought DC.
Bisping fought a retired Hendo (over Yoel, Weidman, Luke and Jacare) then GSP (again, over Yoel, Weidman, Luke and Jacare)
Khabib is fighting Conor (over Tony).
TJ wants to fight Cejudo.

So again, why do you single out one division with your excuse?

Look, if you noticed, I did not say one way or another. All I said is that the UFC should have one rule for all. Not one Dana's favorites and one for "the rest".
Edit: Just to be clear: I agree with your point. Top contenders should take precedence. But if it is allowed, why only woodley is not?

Woodley might be a darling now but LMAO that was hilarious and bad

{<jordan}
THAT was what started it. Not the race baiting. Not the boring fights. THIS. If you’re not gonna believe in yourself why should I believe in you?

Let's not pretend that this didn't happen. I mean he ultimately fought him but it's understandable why the fans felt like this at the time.

You didn't think he was ducking if you knew he would win. You just knew he wanted big money fights.

Back