Remember when Dana White defended Jeremy Lin?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7...-floyd-mayweather-jr-racist-jeremy-lin-tweets

basically, Dana defended Jeremy Lin's incredible 30-day run back in 2012 by calling Floyd a racist.

"First of all, what [Mayweather] said, I think, is racist. He's made a couple of racist comments. And yes, Floyd, you're racist with the stuff that you've said," White said.

"First of all, Jeremy Lin gets all this credit because he's an Asian player in the NBA that African-Americans never get? Yeah, he's getting all this praise because he is an Asian guy playing in the NBA."

"Not only can [Lin] compete and make it in the NBA, the guy is tearing it up and is breaking records, you knucklehead."

How does he feel now that Linsanity is over, and Jeremy is back on the deep end of the rotation?

I remember Linsanity. Media was comparing him to Kobe Bryant everything. I think Gangnam Style stole his thunder and everyone was learning that horse dance. Then everyone was suddenly aware of ALS the following year and subsequently forgot about it four months later.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7...-floyd-mayweather-jr-racist-jeremy-lin-tweets

basically, Dana defended Jeremy Lin's incredible 30-day run back in 2012 by calling Floyd a racist.

How does he feel now that Linsanity is over, and Jeremy is back on the deep end of the rotation?

Different team with different system. He's not asked to be the main scorer, you give him a system like D'antoni used I think he could put up numbers. Problem with him is turn overs.

What's your point here? It was a racist thing that Floyd said.

Mike Greer and Anson Carter were hockey players that were drafted the same year. Greer came out of BU, Carter from Michigan State. They had a bit of buzz, because Carter was a speedy forward, and Greer was a big power forward. Neither did anything spectacular in their NHL careers. If people said anything like Floyd did, i.e. "they are only getting attention because they are black" what do you think the reaction would be. It's a racist remark.

Okay-Face-Comic-Strip-116.jpg

That Jeremy Lin isn't scoring well doesn't make Floyd's comments less racist, or Dana incorrect in pointing that out.

People reacted to Lin because he came out of nowhere to be a key player for a while.

When Shane Spencer was called up to the Yankees from the minors in '98 he hit 3 grand slams in a month. People lost their minds. Not because he was white, but because some guys don't do that in a career and a 26 year old rookie did it in a month.

Amazing and unexpected performances, even if brief still captivate an audience. Skin color generally doesn't.

If what Floyd said amounted to the fact that Lin was getting extra attention for being Asian, he was absolutely right and to call that racist would be stupid. I don't remember his exact wording anymore, though.

You see the same sort of thing with gender or nationality. People love identity politics and associations, unfortunately.

Lin gets a lot of hate b/c of his decline. He is a decent backup PG and has a wicked first step. Always a fan.

Linsanity was the greatest period of time in sports history.

He's a guest commentator at TI this year. Timing of this thread is funny for he's doing an interview right now, lol.

Back