Remember when all of Sherdog said Anderson Silva couldn't lose, and he'd beat Widman?

That depends on whether you're looking at it as if he's overrated overall or if you're pinpointing a specific moment in time...since you know fighters actually decline over time and don't remain at their pinnacle forever. However, until a fighter actually loses many people will continue to rate them as if they're still in their prime. This is what causes a fighter to be overrated.

GSP was being overrated by a lot of people as they acted like he was unbeatable after he came back from his ACL surgery, but if you really were paying attention you'd notice that he was much slower and not as explosive as he had previously been before his injury.

Silva lost about 30 mins out of 35 mins of fight time against Chael Sonnen, was rocked a couple times standing in their first fight but people still acted like he was in his prime a couple years later when he fought Weidman despite being 38 years of age. At that specific time he was being overrated, but his career as a whole and his accomplishments weren't overrated.

Barao is different, he got totally outclassed while in his prime by a better fighter. I look at what happened to him like I look at what happened to JDS in JDS/Cain II.

Good way to try to justify it when Silva never fought guys like Sonnen or Weidman. There is nothing to suggest those fights would have gone differently if they happened earlier in his career. GSP definitely lost a stepped after his surgery, but was still dominant as he had zero weaknesses. Silva did. Barao apparently does too. That does not detract from how incredibly amazing they both were/are.

Well this is just a lie. There were plenty of people claiming he would retire undefeated in the UFC. Anyone who acts like they never read this are full of shit. Even after he lost there were still posters saying that he was "technically undefeated in the UFC because it wasn't a legit loss"

Shit, there were posters after the second loss claiming neither loss was legit!

I'm a huge Anderson fan and I was embarrassed by those kind off posts (mainly regarding the first lose). Don't let the loud minority affect your view on the rest of the fan base. It happens with every fighter.

Doesn't matter, Silva beat James Irvin AND Stephan Bonnar, not to mention Leites, Lutter, and Cote. Barao has nothing on those wins.

Yes, none of them were elite LHW fighters and all played to his strength. You think Barao can't beat a 10-20 FW?

Well this is just a lie. There were plenty of people claiming he would retire undefeated in the UFC. Anyone who acts like they never read this are full of shit. Even after he lost there were still posters saying that he was "technically undefeated in the UFC because it wasn't a legit loss"

Shit, there were posters after the second loss claiming neither loss was legit!

Wouldn't...

I love how you leave out Dan Henderson, Okami, Chael and Rich Franklin.

Take your pathetic, bitter Anderson belittling and do something useful, like cleaning up those Twinkie wrappers.

The same way everyone leaves out MacDonald, Pickett, and Wineland saying he didn't fight anyone other than "washed up Faber"

Once again, this thread is not about Anderson losing, I am sorry you failing to comprehend that. It is about (once again, as posted by more than 2 posters) 75% of this forum getting that fight wrong. When they all believed he was the greatest of all time and the P4P king, but then pretening like it never happened and attacking Dana and trashing Barao for being over rated.

I'm not sure why you're so bitter, or why you keep calling me fat. Please either stick to the topic, or leave the thread.

Seriously this is Sherdog. Sarcasm detectors don't work here because the stuff you know is sarcasm turns out to be actually meant.

And when you make a thread saying "See everyone is wrong from time to time, and even the best lose"

You get called a fat Silva hater, who is stupid for not having the correct % of people who voted for Silva in your thread title.. I dont run into many girls that fight at strawweight, and eat twinkies but there seem to be a lot of angry people on here today.

All I was trying to say is "Look, everyone is wrong once in a while, funny how that happens isn't it?"

smh

Good way to try to justify it when Silva never fought guys like Sonnen or Weidman. There is nothing to suggest those fights would have gone differently if they happened earlier in his career. GSP definitely lost a stepped after his surgery, but was still dominant as he had zero weaknesses. Silva did. Barao apparently does too. That does not detract from how incredibly amazing they both were/are.

Silva fought Weidman after he fought Sonnen and Weidman is practically better at every aspect of the fight game than Sonnen is and he's also younger, so it's safe to say that people acting like Silva wasn't capable of losing to Weidman were overrating him.

And if memory serves me correctly Lutter beat Silva for about 8 mins of their fight before losing by sub, and this was prior to Sonnen...this was the fight that people used to first discredit Silva and showcase a weakness in his game.

GSP wasn't dominant against Hendricks.

Silva fought Weidman after he fought Sonnen and Weidman is practically better at every aspect of the fight game than Sonnen is and he's also younger, so it's safe to say that people acting like Silva wasn't capable of losing to Weidman were overrating him.

And if memory serves me correctly Lutter beat Silva for about 8 mins of their fight before losing by sub, and this was prior to Sonnen...this was the fight that people used to first discredit Silva and showcase a weakness in his game.

I remember once of the big knocks against Weidman was his lack of fights. He looked great against Munoz, but had a rough fight (for good reason with taking the fight like a week before or whatever) and only having what...8 or 9 pro fights? A lot of people seemed to think it was too much too soon.

And when you make a thread saying "See everyone is wrong from time to time, and even the best lose"

You get called a fat Silva hater, who is stupid for not having the correct % of people who voted for Silva in your thread title.. I dont run into many girls that fight at strawweight, and eat twinkies but there seem to be a lot of angry people on here today.

All I was trying to say is "Look, everyone is wrong once in a while, funny how that happens isn't it?"

smh

Check my posts my friends, I agree with you. I still think Barao is one of the p4p best. TJ just had his number.

The worst version of GSP we see beat the current champ. I call that being a dominant fighter. I could say more about my suspicions about Hendricks but not the point of this thread.

Silva had a weakness. He had this weakness his whole career. HE never fought anyone who could explot it. Nothing says Weidman would have lost 5 years earlier. We can never know, but there is no fight that we can look to and show it.

I think Weidman beats the best Silva, even though Silva is better overall. Weidman just has his number, styles make fights.

Check my posts my friends, I agree with you. I still think Barao is one of the p4p best. TJ just had his number.

Yeah, that wasn't really directed at you, just the trend of the thread. I think P4P rankings are dumb. "If 135 Barao was the same size as 185 Anderson and the winner fought Cain at 240, but they were all magically the same size and fighting the same opponents which they never would who would win?"

No matter how saturday night turned out Barao is clearly one of the best in the world. Dude got cracked early and never recovered...thats life, shit happens when you step into a cage and fight another world class athlete.

TJ had the perfect game plan, keep moving, keep him guessing, and land a huge bomb when you get the chance.

Weidman didn't really beat silva convincingly. Silva managed to lose beat himself both times.
Sherdog is overrun with weidman fans who support their own. Natural enough i guess.

Back