Remember this cut?

Remember when Diego Sanchez's technique was some of the best at LW?

Dat evolution.

24773336.jpg

I do feel like this fight stunted Diego's progression as a fighter. He was a force at LW thank God he's coming back down.

It's been about a month over 3 years ago. Not that hard to remember.

Remember when Diego Sanchez's technique was some of the best at LW?

Dat evolution.

No, I actually don't remember that. When was this?

I do feel like this fight stunted Diego's progression as a fighter. He was a force at LW thank God he's coming back down.

He won two fights at LW before the title shot...against Stevenson (a fight in which he was not very impressive) and Guida. I wouldn't call him a "force" at LW. The argument could be made for him being a "force" at WW, when he was undefeated and beat Karo, Diaz, and Riggs. He probably should have received a title shot at the time based on those wins.

Last edited:
yep bj's right shin to the forehead, biggest cut ive ever seen.. still i cant wait for diegos return to LW

Funny how unbeatable BJ looked in this fight

Then he lost the title to Frankie in his next fight

Wow....I dont recall it being that big

Tis a shame he doesnt want to cut to lw

Seriously. BJ Penn was a monster at 155, and he's way too small to compete with the upper echelon of 170. I miss the days of BJ wrecking everybody, still think he could do it if he'd stop being so damn stubborn about cutting back down to lightweight.

beastman eastman's cut against vitor is crazier imo...

He won two fights at LW before the title shot...against Stevenson (a fight in which he was not very impressive) and Guida. I wouldn't call him a "force" at LW. The argument could be made for him being a "force" at WW, when he was undefeated and beat Karo, Diaz, and Riggs. He probably should have received a title shot at the time based on those wins.

I thought his intensity, technique, and speed were much better at lightweight compared to his recent welterweight fights. Sanchez reminded me of butterbean in his Kampmann fight and his technique was so bad, his cardio almost saved him against Ellenberger however. Diego at LW is the right weight class for him at this point in his career and hopefully he can utilize his superior strength at LW and get his wrestling back to where it once was.

Back