Remember the Barista everyone made fun of when he fought Cormier ?

Cormier always said he is legit, I think he beats shogun and a couple of top 10, he can be the white davis that can sometimes knock his oponents

f.gif

MMA's talent pool is pretty shallow, my guess is there are a ton of former NCAA wrestlers who are now bouncers, baristas, and massage therapists, who, with a couple months of training crack the top 10 in their weight class int he UFC. But most of them will never try it, for a 5K/5K contract why leave their current job?

Lol it doesn't matter

You can be an elite wrestler all you want and it won't mean anythjng if you can't strike

Trust me this is from personal experience on and off the streets (undefeated btw).

6a3caddd3ab8d9ba1cdfa0c77ed15b9a.gif

He should put the emphasis on improving his striking for his next training camp, since he is very good at wrestling

Lol it doesn't matter

You can be an elite wrestler all you want and it won't mean anythjng if you can't strike

Trust me this is from personal experience on and off the streets (undefeated btw).

Also, you don't need wrestling credentials to be an elite wrestler. Some people are naturally good at wrestling or even practice their recreational wrestling outside of competitions. I have zero wrestling credentials but I am confident in my ability to out-wrestled just about anyone. Just from personal experience because I have actually out-wrestled collegiate wrestlers who were supposedly supereme athletes, although I doubt they were very good in the grand scheme of things this still goes to show that credentials don't necessarily have any meaning.

iBoGtzH.png

Per the UFC rankings, he is the #10 ranked LHW currently.

A Starbucks barista who was lucky enough to get in the UFC thanks to a hype attempt managed to crack the top 10 in the premier MMA organization in the world.

That means one of two things.

1) Pat Cummins is really good. An MMA prodigy who was discovered by coincidence.

2) The MMA/UFC talent pool is laughable.

MMA prodigy is a stretch, and he wasn't discovered by coincidence. I had heard of Cummins way before the UFC signed him. I actually had heard a lot of what they said to build up the fight, though they did over play it and laid it on thick. But I had always heard they had a lot of trouble getting guys to fight him. I had heard he was a beast in the gym. He had solid credentials.

So while he really had no business in there with Cormier, I always thought he would do well in the UFC, and said he may very well work his way up to be a contender.

Same thing with Ilir Latifi. People liked to make jokes about him when he came in to fight Mousasi like he was some bottom of the barrel fighter. Really, he is pretty good. The thing with both Latifi and Cummins is that they were brought in and fed to contenders like lambs to the slaughter. So because it was very clear they were nowhere near the level of their first opponents, a lot of people just wrote them off like they were the worst of the worst, when really, they were both pretty good prospects for the division.

Tells more about the division than Cummins, unfortunately.

MMA prodigy is a stretch, and he wasn't discovered by coincidence. I had heard of Cummins way before the UFC signed him. I actually had heard a lot of what they said to build up the fight, though they did over play it and laid it on thick. But I had always heard they had a lot of trouble getting guys to fight him. I had heard he was a beast in the gym. He had solid credentials.

So while he really had no business in there with Cormier, I always thought he would do well in the UFC, and said he may very well work his way up to be a contender.

Same thing with Ilir Latifi. People liked to make jokes about him when he came in to fight Mousasi like he was some bottom of the barrel fighter. Really, he is pretty good. The thing with both Latifi and Cummins is that they were brought in and fed to contenders like lambs to the slaughter. So because it was very clear they were nowhere near the level of their first opponents, a lot of people just wrote them off like they were the worst of the worst, when really, they were both pretty good prospects for the division.

JDS was sacrificial lamb for Werdum. Then JDS knocked the fuck out of Werdum.

Lol it doesn't matter

is that chair too heavy?

Pat Cummins is 2x All American wrestler from Penn State including runner-up in 2004 and 2x national team member and has been training since 2010. He would have more pro fights but had a legal issue in 2011 due to a prank

/thread

Haha glad this was the first response.

You forgot to add that he was also having trouble in the regional circuit because no one wanted to fight him but he didn't have enough matches for the big leagues. He was in a very rough spot and circumstance saved him. But he was ALWAYS very good.

the fact that Cormier personally knew the dude before their fight says he was clearly already on the path for quite a few years, from wrestling to training camps, he's a legit grinder at 205 I'd like to see him fight Shogun next

Pat'a been training with shogun at kings.

Lol it doesn't matter

Dude no way... you fought in the streets ? What was it like ? Were you scared ?

Pat Cummins is 2x All American wrestler from Penn State including runner-up in 2004 and 2x national team member and has been training since 2010. He would have more pro fights but had a legal issue in 2011 due to a prank

/thread

This is well said.

JDS was sacrificial lamb for Werdum. Then JDS knocked the fuck out of Werdum.

True. He's an exception to the rule though. Had Werdum beat him, people would have probably talked about it like it was a mismatch, even though JDS would still likely had went on to be champ or at least one of the top HWs.

It just means the stories about him having such a hard time finding opponents who would face him probably has some truth to it.

On the other hand, I really don't think LHW has been this shallow overall since Forrest fought Rampage for the title.

Back