Television Remember Dane Cook?

Was Dane Cook Actually Funny?

• Total voters
It was like if Tucker Max decided to do stand up.

Here's the thing about comedy, it's a really subjective art form; if your playing areas it means you appeal to the masses, which usually means your comedy is safe and kind of bland.

In my opinion he was never close to the best standup guy even when he was at the top of the popularity charts (and again that’s really subjective so who am I to say) but he had some memorable moments and bits and he resonated with a big swath of a particular age group at a certain time.

The idea that he was terrible was something I never really got other than the notion of how people come to hate what is overwhelmingly popular. It’s sort of like pro wrestling when the crowd gets annoyed of a massive face and turns against him.

I could see people arguing that he wasn’t their thing or they didn’t like his schtick but the major backlash he seemed to get in the years immediately following his peak popularity struck me as due, at least in part, to contrarian type “it’s so popular it must be terrible” mentality.

Watched vicious circle high with a gf when it came out and I remember liking it, that's about all I've got as far as Dane Cook goes.

I thought his standups had a couple funny parts and I generally liked his movies. He’s one of those guys that u can only take so much of because he tries too hard tho.

He was hilarious, I saw him live in a sold out arena when he was on top of the world and he fucking destroyed
People can act pissy about him all they want but that dude had a moment in time where he was the hottest thing in America and that didnt happen by accident
I still own a couple of his CDs, might bust one out today while I do my chores and see if it still holds up
Employee Of The Month was decent too

Last edited:
His stuff was pretty good. His comedy central half hour, vicious circle etc. All had good stuff in it.

Everyone started hating on him for loosely "stealing " the Louis ck joke about transformers which wasnt even that good of a joke in the first place.

To say hes one of the worst comedians is a huge exaggeration. There are way worse comics out there. It just became cool to hate him.

I remember seeing few clips where he was funny, nothing deep but it made me laugh.

Then I watched a special of his and it was just… awful.

I don’t hate him though. Just another comic I don’t really care for.

He was basically another Andrew Dice Clay, in terms of his career path. Came in like a lion, was on top of the world getting movie roles n' shit, and then it's like the entire world decided all at once that he was lame, and wanted no more of him. It all happened so fast. It's like the world just ghosted him.

He and Amy Schumer are/were 2 of my favorites. He gets a lot of hate. But with success comes haters

Honestly it’s hilarious to me to see so much hate.

He had some good bits.

But also because the people who claim to hate him and think he was bad are probably also the same people who thought he was amazing at the time of his popularity.

I don't recall ever having a conversation with another man who like Dane Cook. Obviously they existed but I recall he was this male comedy phenomenon mostly for women.

Looking at Google Trends I forgot how big he was. He peak Sept 2006 but his rise to fame in a year was insane.

cookd.jpg

He was hilarious, I saw him live in a sold out arena when he was on top of the world and he fucking destroyed
People can act pissy about him all they want but that dude had a moment in time where he was the hottest thing in America and that didnt happen by accident
I still own a couple of his CDs, might bust one out today while I do my chores and see if it still holds up
Employee Of The Month was decent too
I’m not a big fan of standup comedy, but I always felt that he got done dirty by the standup comedy world. The rest of the industry hated his success and the fact that he was borderline attractive.

I’m not a big fan of standup comedy, but I always felt that he got done dirty by the standup comedy world. The rest of the industry hated his success and the fact that he was borderline attractive.
This. 100% I felt the same way. People used tons of excuses to justify it too "Hes too physical, his jokes have no substance intellectually"

Does that matter? physical humor is still a form of humor. Delivery can make things funny as well. It was pure salt.

with that being said he wasn't amazing but he wasn't awful. He made me laugh a few times.

His material was pretty bad and he had a tendency to "borrow" but he was a good performer and knew how to connect with his audience. I think he was a better comedy actor than stand up, although he was bigger as a stand up.

This. 100% I felt the same way. People used tons of excuses to justify it too "Hes too physical, his jokes have no substance intellectually"

Does that matter? physical humor is still a form of humor. Delivery can make things funny as well. It was pure salt.

with that being said he wasn't amazing but he wasn't awful. He made me laugh a few times.

He was definitely funny. But he wasn't that funny. And mostly ruined by his own hype. I remember at his peak, going to a party was like walking through a crowd of Dane Cook impersonators.

Then as you said, people just jumped on the hate band wagon.

Back