Remember back when LnP was a thing in the UFC?

Yeah guys are finding all sorts of things to do from the bottom. Did you see Ben Saunders' last fight? He beat the shit out of his opponent in the last round with elbows from rubber guard. He had the guy's posture completely broken and was ruining his shit from the bottom.

Was nasty. Not even worth taking Saunders down.

You remember that shit? People were always making threads here about the horrible travesty of how the unified rules are biased toward wrestlers and all different ideas for rule changes they should make to create a more even playing field for striking. Then what happened? A few years later the fighters have evolved, and it's not a common thing anymore. All the best fighters have found ways of getting it back to the feet and controlling where the fight goes. Nobody in the upper echelon of MMA competition is content to keep their opponent in guard and throw up hail mary triangles for fifteen minutes anymore; a whole array of techniques have been integrated into every competent bottom game for getting the fight back to the feet when fighters can't sweep or submit, and that game is still evolving. Haters can hate, but MMA is still awesome and it's so cool to watch the sport evolve.

Zackly. It's like being a fan of boxing in 1915; it's still early and things are still developing and evolving.

4_Ben_Askren_vs._Andrey_Koreshkov.gif

2646034F51FA65A4305B30

Ben_0.gif

Ben_Askren___vs.___Bakhtiyar_Abbasov.gif

They just can't handle the Funk.

at this point he does have 4 stoppage wins in a row.

Maias lay and pray? Are you serious? His opponents pray for the round to end because otherwise they'd never get up and wind up getting caught.

1) The worst offenders have been cut (whether it's deserved or not is another matter).

2) Some refs are now very good at standing the fighters up when it's obvious that there's no activity on the ground.

What Maia does is called grappling. I know it's infuriating to some folks, but he is quite good at it and it kinda is part of the sport.

LnP has been replaced by Wall & Stall and general wrestlefucking. Evan Dunham's last couple of fights are great examples of this, as was parts of Cummins vs. Cavalcante this past weekend. It's not necessarily bad per se, but it does have a bit of a wet blanket feeling to watch, especially when the guy on the bottom is gassed or just clueless on how to stop it.

all of the cuts were unwarrented tho with the fitch/okami/shields.

none of them had back to back losses and have wins over top comp.

i do agree with how mma has progressed. to bad there is still some Bs ref calls and horrible judges

maybe they are top 10-20 fighters then. David branch is a underrated fighter.(okamis loss).

Fitch getting burkman'd def dosnt look to good tho

They were abusing the rules to point fight only instead of punching and running aka Machida's first 10? ufc fights they were LNP point fighting. Machida first fights were boring as fuck too. The ufcs incentive pay has reduced point fighting but its a choice fighters are making due to the pressure the ufc has placed on them.

Mendes could have LNP'd a point victory on conor but he was too ashamed to do it, because it is shameful.

No lay and prey needed when a guy on the bottom has such a "great" ground game and gets TKOed in seconds.

I'd rather watch 5 rnds of lnp than any WMMA fight. At least you see occasional glimpses of skill during lnp.

Ben_Askren___vs.___Bakhtiyar_Abbasov.gif

They just can't handle the Funk.

Meanwhile that move to side control with that arm triangle was pathetic, it was slow as shit and he left his leg ready to be trapped in half guard, meanwhile his opponent is just laying there waiting to be finished, but he thinks he could compete with GSP. I'd love to see Askren in the ufc so he can get his ass kicked and a reality check.

I'd rather watch 5 rnds of lnp than any WMMA fight. At least you see occasional glimpses of skill during lnp.

I rather see Joanna striking than see man hugging to get a win

I think that Dana getting rid of Fitch and Shields woke a few dudes up on that one.

Yeah and not letting Askren in also sent out a big message. It was no coincidence that lots of wrestlers started throwing their hands around a lot more and having more boxing matches. The only guy who didn't really change was GSP and that's because he was the champion so had nothing to fear from the management.

Dana has send a message to fighters, if you want $$$ then fight,*dont lnp.

Mendes could have LNP'd a point victory on conor but he was too ashamed to do it, because it is shameful.

No he couldn't have. It was a five round fight and he was exhausted by the end of round 2 from the body strikes.

Back