Remember back when LnP was a thing in the UFC?

Obviously, fighters have to adapt to prevent losing to LnP tactics, and there is incentive to do more at least, what with how cuts come down or your popularity sucks if you are like that... but, it still does work to an extent. One of the factors I think in recent times that is particularly combating the phenomenon is the seeming shift in judging criteria away from scoring "control" as much. We've seen this in a number of high profile fights lately and it's refreshing. This is what I've always said needed to be done. Simply stop rewarding it so heavily. Laying on a guy for a couple of minutes but doing nothing offensively shouldn't automatically win you the round. In order to do something to actually win (as in, finish the fight), you have to open yourself up to some reaction or offense from the guy on the bottom, so merely holding that position is more of a stalemate than a winning position, anyway.

People started getting cut.

Even Dong realized you have to have at least some level of entertainment

Dong kinda went back to his boring style after he got KO'd though. He grapplef*cked Burkman in his last fight but luckily was able to score a submission instead of going to another decision.

People still like to use that term. Usually only towards fighters they hate.

Examples: Chael, Khabib, Hendricks
It helps that we haven't seen Khabib in action for a while.

I used to scream at the tv for a stand up with Hughes.

Rani Yahya LNP'd against KON NAY HA RA and somehow was gifted a bullshit decision when he got outstruck by over 100 strikes on the mat.

Well to be fair the UFC cuts or refuses to sign LNP guys.

I guess the UFC as an org has evolved :p

Cage hugging is the bigger problem tho

Holding someone down for 15 minutes should be considered a win by pinfall.

It was a thing till top5 fighters started getting cut for it.

That's influencing fights to a certain degree imo, but legally sound nonetheless.

I remember The Dong coming out to talk about his fear of being cut after Okami got the axe, and he went apeshit since.

Ironically it produced the best highlights of his career and earned him a main-event spot.

They started cutting the fighters that would do it and GSP retired. Problem solved.

I remember it in every org. It was so much worse before people developed an active guard. In the old days, of mma, most guys would not even attempt to stand or submit the top guy.

Yeah jake o blanket was the worst offender in this category. I remember hating tyron woodley in strike force as his bout with paul daley did not make a good impression on me. He has been much more exciting since then.

Really great point TS. I haven't seen LnP in a looong time. Hell, Dana even made a point not to bring that one guy over from Bellator (the wrestling LnP champ with the curly hair).

I think UFC fighters in the current roster know they have to bring it in every fight and no one wants to see lay and pray wins (in fact it lowers your value in a way).

Askren. And he's becoming a pretty capable guy. Will probably never make it anywhere but yeah. He's way too outspoken.

I think that Dana getting rid of Fitch and Shields woke a few dudes up on that one.

Totally agree with this. Plus Okami.

I think a lot of people got the memo after that.

Randy was wall-n-stallin before it was cool. Pierce and Kongo kept it alive, and now Hendricks and DC are bringing it back.

Hendricks has finished 53% of his wins, and his last five have been against extremely hard to finish guys. Cormier is a prolific finisher at 69% of his wins. If these guys are stallers than I want more stallers

It's definitely not happening too much anymore but it still happens.

Excellent point. This doesn't happen nearly as often, although Johny Hendricks is slowly becoming a master of it.

Back