Remember back when LnP was a thing in the UFC?

There's a lot less of it these days, but I think some of it comes from the refereeing.

The ref's are less tolerant of fighters putting on a shitfest. It used to be a regular thing for people to be stalling for minutes at a time and for there to be heavy sustained booing from the crowd.

Usually with Rogan crying about how amazing it is, and it's like watching a chess-match; which we all know is an extremely exciting spectator sport.

These days the referees are more aware. If they see a fighter using dominant positions just to rest they normally only give them a few seconds before warning them and then initiating a stand-up.

people on here have no idea what LnP actually is.

people think if a fight goes to the ground and there isn't a finish then it's LnP...

I think that Dana getting rid of Fitch and Shields woke a few dudes up on that one.

That's a factor for sure. Two other things:

• Fewer wrestlers are coming in as a % of new fighters, many fighters when they get to the UFC these days are well rounded martial artists and don't have to just TD and stall even if they could
  • Pro gyms are really good at taking wrestlers and teaching them the standup game, so wrestlers transitioning in MMA no longer rely solely on their wrestling making their fights more interesting.

I think that Dana getting rid of Fitch and Shields woke a few dudes up on that one.
Yep. It sends a clear message: you can fight in a way that not even your family would buy a PPV to see. But, you better win damn near every fight you have in the UFC as well.

It's hilarious to me that people can't see why someone like Dan Hardy wasn't cut after losing 4 fights. Dude comes to put on a show and UFC rewards him with job security. It's not rocket science.

Its still there, the rubbish Unified System is still rubbish... people still are rewarded for 'top position' alone without much else, or a takedown only to immediately have the fight return to the feet. The criteria/judges seem to favour control over damage or equate who's back is against the fence in the clinch as something worth doing... or where you have fighters work for position+running the clock over damage and threats to finish.

There is still a very big misalignment between the system/criteria and actual fighting

Did you see the travesty that was Rani Yahya vs Masanori Kanehara only recently?

Its still there, the system is still the same... people still are rewarded for 'top position' alone without much else, or a takedown only to immediately have the fight return to the feet. The criteria/judges seem to favour control over damage, where you have fighters work for position+running the clock over damage and threats to finish.

Yeah control is still rewarded, but it's gotten harder and harder to control fighters that way at an elite level. You see it far less than you used to. Guys are so good at avoiding and getting out of those positions nowadays.

Did you see the travesty that was Rani Yahya vs Masanori Kanehara only recently?

That fight was terrible. It does still happen sometimes.

I remember I came up with the term wall-n-stall on my own after watching a Randy fight once. I Googled it and was so disheartened to learn that I was not the first.

Now it's lame I'll throw a couple jabs, you throw a couple jabs and then clinch on the way for about a minute. Rinse repeat

and now Hendricks and DC are bringing it back.
cormier_hendo_finish.gif

He didn't finish another fight after BJ, so take a pick after that.

What??? that makes no sense?? Not finishing means you LnP??
LnP v Thiago Alves..Nope
LnP v Hardy...Nope
LnP v Koscheck...nope
Condit, Shilds, Diaz and Hendricks...nope...

What was your point again??

So not finishing a fight is now considered LNP?

Instead of blind hate, try finding something that would help your argument.

You won't find any though.

So not finishing a fight is now considered LNP?

Instead of blind hate, try finding something that would help your argument.

You won't find any though.

To be considered LnP do you have to be stood up by the ref? If so, I'm sure that happened several times in GSP's reign.

To be considered LnP do you have to be stood up by the ref? If so, I'm sure that happened several times in GSP's reign.

Yeah....so every time someone is stood up now they are a LnP 'er....hmmmm this hole your digging is getting deeper by the comment.

so you cant. good day internet parrot

how about you actually watch some fights bro

Yeah....so every time someone is stood up now they are a LnP 'er....hmmmm this hole your digging is getting deeper by the comment.

weird cause honestly i cant remember 1 time gsp has been stood up. im sure its probably happened at some point.

Last edited:
Back