Remember back when LnP was a thing in the UFC?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Forkfoot, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Red Belt

You remember that shit? People were always making threads here about the horrible travesty of how the unified rules are biased toward wrestlers and all different ideas for rule changes they should make to create a more even playing field for striking. Then what happened? A few years later the fighters have evolved, and it's not a common thing anymore. All the best fighters have found ways of getting it back to the feet and controlling where the fight goes. Nobody in the upper echelon of MMA competition is content to keep their opponent in guard and throw up hail mary triangles for fifteen minutes anymore; a whole array of techniques have been integrated into every competent bottom game for getting the fight back to the feet when fighters can't sweep or submit, and that game is still evolving. Haters can hate, but MMA is still awesome and it's so cool to watch the sport evolve.

2. One Inch Punch

One Inch Punch Purple Belt

Now it is wall'n'stall.

3. Flex Plexico

Flex Plexico customized Gucci accessories

Interesting to think about the evolution of this new sport. One of the latest Rogan podcasts was covering a similar topic at one point...

4. Buff

Buff Trash Belt Degenerate

I think that Dana getting rid of Fitch and Shields woke a few dudes up on that one.

5. rusty1007

rusty1007 Blue Belt

I remember it in every org. It was so much worse before people developed an active guard. In the old days, of mma, most guys would not even attempt to stand or submit the top guy.

6. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

They are also quicker to cut LnP fighters too. I think a part of it is nowadays there are so many fights that if you see a LnP fight or two it won't be as fresh in your mind compared to only watching a 5 fight main card that has a case of LnP in it.

7. masterless

masterless Sherdog Veteran

Really great point TS. I haven't seen LnP in a looong time. Hell, Dana even made a point not to bring that one guy over from Bellator (the wrestling LnP champ with the curly hair).

I think UFC fighters in the current roster know they have to bring it in every fight and no one wants to see lay and pray wins (in fact it lowers your value in a way).

8. Drake

Drake Guest

People still like to use that term. Usually only towards fighters they hate.

Examples: Chael, Khabib, Hendricks

9. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

People started getting cut.

Even Dong realized you have to have at least some level of entertainment

10. Drake

Drake Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They just can't handle the Funk.

11. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Red Belt

Ben Askren's actually been a hell of a finisher the last few years. He hasn't had a decision win since 2012.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ben-Askren-42390

12. Fartler

Fartler Green Belt

Lol well not having Okami, Fitch, Shields, and Askren in your organization will stop people from complaining about it. Hendricks is actually only guy that really abuses this as of late.

13. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

Bruno Santos was a legit L'N'P'er. 14 wins, 12 decisions. He got cut after 1 loss in the UFC. L'N'P does still happen, (Mike Pyle got blanketed good in his last fight), but they're disposing of these guys the first chance they get.

14. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Red Belt

They still only get cut after losses, and they lose because the better fighters can nullify those tactics nowadays. There really is a whole new approach to counter-wrestling that's evolved over the last few years.

15. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

[​IMG]

Fitch could have gotten another shot before the cut. His last UFC win wasn't bad.

16. johncola

johncola Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I admit I was wrong. I thought LNP was an inherent problem that came with the rules. But it largely went away. It still exists but it's nowhere near the problem it was. People at the time said that fighters' skills and TDD need to improve, and I thought they were just in denial and using wishful thinking. But they were right.

17. SimonNova

SimonNova Worship and forget

It was a pretty cool fight actually. But its hard to blame Dana for cutting them when they lost to not top 20 fighters in other orgs afterward.

18. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

all of the cuts were unwarrented tho with the fitch/okami/shields.

none of them had back to back losses and have wins over top comp.

i do agree with how mma has progressed. to bad there is still some Bs ref calls and horrible judges

maybe they are top 10-20 fighters then. David branch is a underrated fighter.(okamis loss).

Fitch getting burkman'd def dosnt look to good tho

19. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

Lay & Pray isn't as common as it once was it's more common in certain weight classes.

20. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

everytime a LnP'er gets cut from the UFC, I say good riddance and get back to my day.

btw, wall n' stall is the standing equivalent of LnP.