Remeber your first time sparring?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Bennosuke, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

I just had a very hard sparring session and it reminded me of when I started sparring. To make myself feel better I figured I would start a thread allowing us to reminisce about our first couple sparring experiences

To share mine, I started practicing Kyokushin Karate and the first day we started sparring, we cycled through partners doing one or two minute rounds. At first I was up against other beginners and I was surprised by how easily I was picking people apart (not to brag). Eventually I went up against a guy who had (I later found out), failed his black belt test, and was not happy about it. He muscled me around like a rag doll. I took hard body shots and leg shots. I was unable to land a single punch and I walked away with a terrible terrible bruise on my leg. He also push kicked me so hard in the face my neck hurt for a few days.

He was an ass but it definetly humbled me

2. THAIBOXINJUNKIE

THAIBOXINJUNKIE Blue Belt

nope but i remeber my first wrestling match

3. chabone

chabone Tastes Like Burning Platinum Member

I've trained a little kickboxing. I have yet to spar. Still need shin pads. I'm sure I'll be scared shitless at first.

4. D4rthKitty

D4rthKitty Black Belt

So do I

won 4 to 1

5. Robschach13

Robschach13 Green Belt

My most memorable "first" was my first BJJ match. I had Wrestled in hs and was going to in college but because of repeated injuries the coach that was gonna recruit me basically said "Your not gonna start ever, you get hurt too much." So when i started BJJ the next month i made it oneof my goals to tap out a state champ wrestler. Fast forward to my first tourny, and look at that my first opponent was a Cali state champ. He had me on my back in about 2 seconds, at which point i locked up guillotine. he got out, i locked up a kimura, he got out, i swept him, he muslced his way out and took me down agan. Then i got my guard real high, snuck one leg under, and locked up a trianle. He fought real hard but eventually had to tap. I went on to win the whole tournament. Felt damn good :icon_chee

6. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

First kickboxing sparring - sore thighs from leg kicks.
    First boxing sparring - sore face from punches.

7. Zoolander

Zoolander Blue Belt

like it was yesterday! first time in there is a fight for your life, especially if your opponent is inexperienced as well...

8. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

My 60 year old coach gave me a black eye and marked up my face. If he had bothered to teach me any defense I may have been able to defend myself better. Two weeks later I broke my nose. :mad:

9. jhass515

jhass515 Yellow Belt

I remember my first wrestling, bjj, kickboxing, boxing, and judo sparring/matches. The sparring I got my ass kicked hard by more experienced people. The matchs were a different story I went 4-1 in my first bjj tourney, won my first ammy boxing match via ko, won my only judo match 12-3 but the guy said nice wrestling though lol. My first year wrestling went 12-8. Won my first match in 1:50 via pin. Lost my kickboxing match via decision.

10. GPSolano

GPSolano White Belt

My first spar in boxing was a month ago after 3 sessions I asked my trainer and went for it.. It was funny because I was really comfortable at first but when I threw a jab and got my partner's nose bleeding It felt different like I hesitated to land another then got my ass kicked bigtime, my partner was boxing for four to five years I think.. I got punished.. funny because I learned a lot after that sparring by getting beat up. :icon_chee

11. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

I have my first sparring session on film. It was 12 minutes, and 3 minute rounds so that's about 4 rounds I guess.

12. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

i remember mine it was fun gl in the rest of your training

13. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

haha so true.. :icon_lol:

14. JasonDecker****

JasonDecker**** Banned Banned

My first sparring session was so long ago I honestly have no memory of it at all.