1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Relson Gracie Honolulu/Team HK

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jogs D, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Jogs D

Jogs D White Belt

Got some friends moving out to Honolulu - near the Kahala area???
    Looking to train BJJ - I suggested the Relson Gracie Main Academy, but noticed there is a 'Relson Gracie Team HK' gym, run by Todd Tanaka, which appears to be closer...?

Does anyone train at these gyms? What are the instructors like? Standard of training etc... Also how long does it take to get from the Kahala area to the Main Academy and the Team HK gym???

Kind Regards

2. ama

ama White Belt

I haven't trained at their gym, but I have trained with a lot of Team HK students. They all move quickly and with great purpose, I think their movement is one of the strongest things I've seen in BJJ.

Some of the Team HK students have some of the best BJJ I've seen.

3. RonaldN

RonaldN Guest

4. dwright2

dwright2 Blue Belt

You're right Team HK is closer to Kahala than the main academy, it's on the corner of University and King, across from Kinko's and down the street from UH Manoa. Team HK is a short bike ride from Kahala. Gracie Waikiki, I've heard primarily focuses on nogi and is actually the closest to Kahala via Diamond Head but probably doesn't have all the classes desired, it's fairly new. Relson's main academy is closer to downtown and not too far if you have a car but it's not as convenient as HK or Waikiki. There's also a Gracie Barra sandwiched in between Relson's HK and main academy. I'd say have your friends check out Team HK, a friend of mine goes there and seems to enjoy it.

Please keep in mind that all of these are just several miles apart, but when you live on an island...

5. dwright2

dwright2 Blue Belt

I wouldn't exactly call the Windward side (Kaneohe) country side. Have you been to the North Shore? No matter, I've heard that the Kaneohe gym is great too; but anytime you have to take the freeway (or the long route via Kalanianaole) is not convenient.

6. Jogs D

Jogs D White Belt

Thanks guys - will check out Team HK, Gracie Waikiki, and possibly the Main academy. Team HK looks the most convenient though - will see. How long does it take to get from Kahala to the Main academy by car, taking into account traffic etc...?

7. dwright2

dwright2 Blue Belt

I don't know, maybe 15-20 minutes in traffic to the main academy. If you're coming from Kahala there's Diamond Head Rd. to Ala Wai Blvd to Ala Moana Blvd or there's Waialae to Kapiolani, the latter being faster. You don't necessarily have to get on the freeway, it might even be a hassle; but in no traffic...