Religion is ridiculous.

Well religion isn't ridiculous when it does good, whether the history behind it isn't completely accurate.

I mean, I was raised by atheists and became a Buddhist when I was in my early 20s and that along with recovery programs has done wonders for me.

You aren't necessarily wrong but allow me to inject another layer into this.

Belief in a benevolent creator dehumanizes suffering.

If someone is doing well.....praise Jesus.

If someone is doing poorly.....God works in mysterious ways......it's all a part of Gods plan and etc.

Believing a mysterious man is behind the scenes pulling all the strings and ensuring just outcomes obfuscates ones ability to embrace another's suffering and makes them more cold to the wrongs of the world.

This is a toxic and insidious concept. Are there religious people doing good things? Yes. But has this attitude pervaded human culture in some pretty ugly ways? Also yes. It doesn't take killing someone in the name of God to have been warped by religion. There are other more subtle ways those attitudes can corrupt a person.
the first part of that is why i am agnostic. it all sounds pretty silly. but the last part is my issue with all the christian bashers. they keep talking about all the killing done in the name of god and stupid things they do to appease him. in reality for 95% of christians, it just means to be a good person

Religion is just another word for lifestyle. We all have a 'god' whether we like to admit it or not. We all live our lives in worship of something, you may not even realize it. For most it's money and/or oneself, for many guys it's pussy and everything they do with their lives is to get it, as much as possible. If one looks at how they live there everyday lives honestly and look at there own actions and analyze oneself's own thoughts one can realize who is the 'god' in there life.

Man will always create some sort of religion that they will kill for.

The largest religion man has built is the religion of money and central banking, in debt the world. Countries receive loans from central banks, become in debt, and forced to give up natural resources to repay debts at the perils of it's own citizens. All wars are banker wars. Praise the dollar, replace God...or something like that. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

"Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing"
"Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
All this pain is an illusion"

Yep, those are Tool lyrics.

Napoleon:
I know men; and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for him.

Buddha is right, all life is suffering and the source of suffering is desire.

Not one of the many out there have a shred of proof that what they are doing is right. And yet it has been the cause of millions upon millions of lives lost. No doubt someone today had their daughter raped and murdered and then was beheaded them self because they thought God was blue and not pink.

It is complete lunacy.

I wonder if you rail against government as much as you do religion because I have some bad news for you. The most efficient killing machine ever devised is government, not religion.

Maybe in this day and age it is, but it did have a hand in civilizing us, as odd as that sounds.

I don't know where the human race would be if religion had never existed.

Maybe in this day and age it is, but it did have a hand in civilizing us, as odd as that sounds.

We could still be in a Cave fucking our sisters

He was basically riffing on how religions are often regarded as mythologies, but saying that Christianity is the only one among them that is real.

If you don't know anything about Lewis, he was a British atheist who converted to Christianity and ended up being one of the most influential apologists for the faith. He once said that when he first converted, he was "the unhappiest Christian in all of England," because he didn't WANT to be Christian but he had become convinced of its literal truth.

If you ever get a chance to read Mere Christianity then you should. It's the best introduction to his line of thought on the subject.

Although Einstein was not a believer, consider what he said about Jesus. It goes well with what Lewis concluded.

th

We could still be in a Cave fucking our sisters

Without religion we can get back to sister fucking like a motherfucker Targaryen

Yeah, very odd that having teaching about being moral and not just robbing and killing for your own shit and etc would make us civilized???? That some force above man might have laws that us people have to follow.

Without religion we can get back to sister fucking like a motherfucker Targaryen

Yeah, very odd that having teaching about being moral and not just robbing and killing for your own shit and etc would make us civilized???? That some force above man might have laws that us people have to follow.

Are you suggesting that we didn't know it was wrong to rob and kill before "god" told us?

Well religion isn't ridiculous when it does good, whether the history behind it isn't completely accurate.

I mean, I was raised by atheists and became a Buddhist when I was in my early 20s and that along with recovery programs has done wonders for me.

What recovery programs and how old are you now? Just wondering.

but....but the lack of proof is proof enough bro. i mean you cant disprove that theres an omnipotent flying spaghetti monster god raping alah as we speak

srsly though, religion is just a business that tries to control and influence people to do the bidding of their religious leaders

the first part of that is why i am agnostic. it all sounds pretty silly. but the last part is my issue with all the christian bashers. they keep talking about all the killing done in the name of god and stupid things they do to appease him. in reality for 95% of christians, it just means to be a good person

95%? Really? Then why do so many of them support violence, poverty, and inequality through their voting? A lot of Christians support some pretty brutal policy.

When it comes to God and Religion God is Agnostic.

Odd, in that religion is also responsible for some of the most uncivilized acts in human history, and still continues to be to this day. I don't think religion had the biggest hand in making us civilized in a non-violent way, as the world is still largely ruled through violence, and fear of violence. However, it did help greatly to organize the chaos.

Back