religion and evolution

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by akimbo187, Sep 30, 2013.

1. akimbo187

akimbo187 Green Belt

So I am pretty illiterate when it comes to biological sciences, etc. But I was watching one of Zakir Naik's videos on youtube, just now, and he makes a statement about why Darwin's concept is just theory and nothing more. But what I didn't understand was the part where he said that "iceman" wasn't related to neanderthal etc. Anyone know what he means? It comes from 19:45-24:00 of the video. I am not muslim, but I do sometimes watch zakir's (and many other people's) videos from time to time, as I get insights into different cultural thought processes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

Anyone who says that Darwin concept is jibber jabber is living in ignorance. It is literally the most beautifully succint and most empirically supported idea ever...it is astonishing. If anything it's one of the few scientific theories not requiring a healthy imagination or an ironic devotion to believe in.

I don't know why religious folks would be threatened by the fossil record and biology unless they take the works of the great religions as a literal word for word translation -which is again ridiculous in that almost no one reads these texts in their native language
    , nor their original version, and absolutely no one reads them in the age and context they were written in -so the entymology of words isn't really even truly understood.

So religious texts are big allegorical ideas written for uneducated Bedouin tribes. To think it has any relation to literal science is silly. And in no way does Darwin's ideas preclude a supreme being or creator or such.

3. Absolute Power

Absolute Power A Real Human Bean

great post, but this thread won't end well. They never do

4. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

I myself love to study science and the great religions but to me they are completely opposite endeavors

5. akimbo187

akimbo187 Green Belt

I also love to study different religions and science at the same time. But my general question was that he quickly states that "neanderthals" and "icemen" weren't related, is this some scientific study that has been done?

6. Osculater

Osculater Black Belt

How can't they not be related they are both homo.

7. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

First, you can be sure he hasn't done the study himself. Second he would need to define what iceman he is referring to... We have found lots of ancient bodies in the ice -some of which were cro-mag on some Neanderthals and some others -as to related,..Darwin's ideas don't make any statement that there is a lineage from one type to another -only that we came from a cOmmon ancestors -I think the uneducated, ignorant, and misinformed do not understand this -they also think Darwin's theory says we came from chips or monkeys -which it does not at all say this.

This guy is probably referring to Otzi or one of the other famous ice men, who by the Otzi is closer related to Neadertals than you or I.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. Lost

Lost Looking through Platinum Member

I don't think they have to be really. If the god exists or lets just say the universe.

Is it that far fetched to think a creator would design creatures that could adapt and

survive with minimal manipulation.

Its like building anything reliable it could be modified and used for many years. Whether that be a gun, clothing, or if we go back far enough the wheel.

What I said was really far-fetched but whatever

9. PraiseAllah**

PraiseAllah** Orange Belt

Of course evolution is "just a theory". Gravity is also "just a theory" as is heliocentricsm, electro-magnetism, and anything else that any scientist in the history of science has ever proposed, regardless of the evidence.

10. Lost

Didn't homosaipens and neanderthals interbreed?

11. Lost

Exactly nothing in science is absolute. That being said evolution is fact we have made animals evolve ourselves. Example being Dogs. It amazes me how people still act weird about evolution.

12. TeTe

TeTe Favorite Worst Nightmare Staff Member Senior Moderator

Nothing wrong with being religious and believing on evolution.

Then again, the only religion that I sort of practice doesn't really subscribe to the idea of "god" so who knows.

13. PraiseAllah**

PraiseAllah** Orange Belt

People simply don't understand evolution. Most any nay-sayer that I ever hear, has a misconception of what it is and how it works. It's understandable that "man coming from monkeys" doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the whole problem, people think that man came from monkeys, instead of understanding that a monkey is just your 1,000,000,000,000,000th cousin.

14. Lost

Exactly. I had a hard time understanding long term evolution for a long time until I watched some great documentaries explaining it.

15. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

That's why I said "great religions" (as in size -not value) as in Islam, Judaism, Christianity, hinduism etc..... They tend to not be rooted or require the science or facts of the world as much as lifestyle and deity -as they are written to address conduct and duty and explain this in large allegorical methods.

Plenty of other religions are more intertwined in the natural world and the sciences

16. Lost

Oh I got you now.

17. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

18. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

In many ways, the amount of indepedent differentiated evidence explaining evolution is much stronger than gravity.

No kidding. Explaining gravity on the quantum level will make your head explode. It doesn't add up without again creating "ether" or a comoslogical constant -which is code for saying "we are reverting back to the explanations of years past because its easier for now to make our math work"

19. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

2nd Star to the Right & straight on til morning.
    Yeah, Aramaic and Arabic look like a bunch of bugs to me, too.

20. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

2nd Star to the Right & straight on til morning.
    Science:
    If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
    If you don't correct those mistakes, you're really doing it wrong.
    If you can't accept that you make mistakes, you're not doing it at all.