Relatively new fan here, idk much about Fedor so...

While Fedor had a lot of filler on his resumé, he also has the most accomplished HW resumé in MMA history. Add that to the fact that he was undefeated in 30-odd fights at Heavyweight and he truly is great.

Imagine the build-up for McGregor against Aldo, minus the huge UFC marketing department behind it, and you have Fedor against Cro Cop. That was the fight everyone wanted to see. Two of the best fighters on the planet, in their prime, both having a natural ease at beating everyone put in front of them and having a crowd-pleasing style.

The GOAT. All you need to know.

And not like imaginary p4p GOAT. THE LEGIT HW GOAT.

There hasn't been a more well rounded fighter ever.

Again, imaginary p4p shit aside, only Cain, Nog, Crocop and Werdum come close, all of which he would fuck up badly if he were in his prime.

After platinum mike perry fedor is #2 on the goat list

When I got into mma it was through seeing Chuck fight on Bravo(topless darts) and the first couple of years where all ufc for me, then I got made redundant and had plenty of time on my hands, I pretty much watched every old Pride and UFC event over the course of a month or two that I could find online, and that was pretty much all of them, by the time I finished I definitely regarded Fedor as the best ever.

Since I consider Jones and Anderson cheats who are not eligible, I think it's between Fedor and GSP for the current goat (Conor is circling:p).

I would give Fedor the nod due to GSP's risk adverse style.

Truly complete fighter with an aura on invincibility back then.

2irrqkx.jpg
770483_o.gif

He finds a way to win, one way or another.

Was he truly great, or was it that, at the time, the level of competition was very low and well-rounded fighters were absent?
He was truly that great.
... and the level of competition was very low as well. He had to be talented in the first place for them to want to find people for him to beat up, but some of the people they found weren't worthy of being in the ring. He should have bit the bullet and come to the UFC in 2010 with everyone else, but because he didn't there will always be a debate.

To add to what others have said, consider this. In the history of the UFC, there's never been a HW champ who was able to defend his belt more than twice before losing. Fedor defended his title 3 times, won a GP and went on a 18 fight, 7 year win streak beating several ex-UFC champs including the two guys who held the UFC title during Fedor PRIDE reign. There's never been a HW like him.

To the people saying the competition has improved so much: this might be true for other divisions, but there are 4 ex-PRIDE fighters in the UFC HW top 7 + Arlovski at 8 right now.

Was he truly great, or was it that, at the time, the level of competition was very low and well-rounded fighters were absent?

the low level not well rounded competition of that time have went on to get some UFC titles.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised a fight with Bob Sapp never transpired.

He was the baddest man on the planet (tied with Karelin), chubby MW who fought and destroyed HWs. He fought the best he could, he has 13 TOP 10 wins (only Gsp, Anderson and Big Nog have more), so no, competition wasn't very low, but of course MMA evolves every day and now you have more well-rounded fighters than in his time.

how was he tied with karelin? He would have destroyed Karelin. So what is the logic of this stupid statement?

His competition level isnt really relevant

He fought everybody that was about at the time and thats all any fighter can do, he destroyed them all, he had no equal

He beat pride champions, ufc champions, rings champions and was never defeated for almost a decade
Great post! In sports we can only compare guys to their contemporaries. Fedor beat them all. Except Barnett (signed to fight) and Couture

He was truly great! An extremely complete fighter that challenged the best heavyweights of his time often in their own game. Fedor beat Minotauro Nogueira (one of the best ground fighters in MMA ever) on the floor and then won in a rematch. Also defeated Mirko Cro Cop one of the best K1 heavyweights, often striking with him.
The sport evolved but arguably Cro Cop and Nogueira would beat most if not all the elite heavyweights of today with their "primitive" skillset. Fedor beat the best while undersized.
He is arguably the best MMA fighter of all times and at least the best heavyweight by some difference.

Some of you can say what you want about Fedor's level of competition, because there are definitely some fights you can nitpick.

However, that very same resumé has him fighting Noguera (second best HW ever) three times, in both of their primes, beating him twice with one NC. It'd be one thing if, like Werdum, he had thought Noguera in the twilight of his career, but he thought him when Noguera was THE dude. He beat Crocop, who was arguably the most lethal standup heavyweight ever at the time and #2 HW on the planet when they fought, in what was essentially a kickboxing match. It's not like he took Crocop down and pounded on him for the whole fight, no. He fought Crocop in a striking contest and beat him convingly.

That era had some well rounded fighters, some who are surprisingly still in the top ten to this day.

And even if you mistakenly assumed the fighters weren't well rounded, then you can just look at the fact that Fedor beat so many of these so-called one-dimensional fighters in their dimensions.

He stood with CC

He out grappled Nog

He beat Coleman on the ground.

He KOd AA

He knocked Sylvia senseless before submitting him.

He was a goat can crusher in japan. Then tried his can crushing skill in america where hes ass got whooped by a old mw hendo .strangled to death by werdum and ground and pounded to oblivion by bigfoot:p

his auro alone mentally broke most men before the fight for a long time. anderson is the only one that could do that since. when he finally lost, fighters gained more confidence they could beat him.

still the goat. always will be.

fedorbless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back