Relative strength of build up towards JDS/Cain 3

I might be of the minority that needs to see dos santos fight. He is a weapon!

I think JDS has the potential to be a star, I just don't think he has it yet.

He's certainly a very dangerous fighter, and quite likeable. If he comes out on top I see him as having a much better chance of achieving star status than Cain does just cause he's kind of that guy that everyone loves. People are attracted to him and he's got a pleasing style. The belt can help push him over the edge, but a loss probably signifies he never makes that jump to stardom

Cain is very dangerous and a very great fighter, but he's plain. He's just a guy who works extremely hard and does everything in the cage. That's not a bad thing, but there's nothing special about it. There's tons of guys who are hard workers. His fights and success speak for themselves, but as a brand he brings nothing to the table so far

There is a certain appeal that comes from just being a hard worker who's success comes from being the guy willing to work the hardest, but you need something more to achieve stardom. Guys like Forrest and Couture were pretty much the hardest workers during their time and their success depended on it, yet they had a certain charm which led to people loving them. Cain needs to develop some of that charm to get there as he's certainly not lacking in the skills department

Last edited:
Cain needs to start talking smack... JDS needs to stop being so friendly. Just kidding, I'd be annoyed if they did that. But in all seriousness, people would probably care more. The other divisions outshine HW these days for a lot of reasons.

PRIDE fan boys need to let the past go. JDS and Cain are both better fighters than either Fedor or Cro Cop. Hell, JDS even beat Cro Cop. As far as build up goes, PRIDE was bigger in Japan, but the UFC holds all the PPV records. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

I think JDS has the potential to be a star, I just don't think he has it yet.

He's certainly a very dangerous fighter, and quite likeable. If he comes out on top I see him as having a much better chance of achieving star status than Cain does just cause he's kind of that guy that everyone loves. People are attracted to him and he's got a pleasing style. The belt can help push him over the edge, but a loss probably signifies he never makes that jump to stardom

Cain is very dangerous and a very great fighter, but he's plain. He's just a guy who works extremely hard and does everything in the cage. That's not a bad thing, but there's nothing special about it. There's tons of guys who are hard workers. His fights and success speak for themselves, but as a brand he brings nothing to the table so far

There is a certain appeal that comes from just being a hard worker who's success comes from being the guy willing to work the hardest, but you need something more to achieve stardom. Guys like Forrest and Couture were pretty much the hardest workers during their time and their success depended on it, yet they had a certain charm which led to people loving them. Cain needs to develop some of that charm to get there as he's certainly not lacking in the skills department

Dude, this is fighting. Go watch the X-Factor if you're interested in that other crap.

most of the Pride "build up" in is Pride fanboys heads. "oh it was so much bigger when 1/10th of the fans today watched it back then".

Yea and my grandfather walked 30 miles to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

most of the Pride "build up" in is Pride fanboys heads. "oh it was so much bigger when 1/10th of the fans today watched it back then".

Yea and my grandfather walked 30 miles to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

They're talking about atmosphere, PRIDE put on big events that filled stadiums and had a huge build up and every event was put on as something special.

They're talking about atmosphere, PRIDE put on big events that filled stadiums and had a huge build up and every event was put on as something special.

Yes, it felt very special to the PRIDE fans but let's not pretend that it was a bigger event in an actual sense.

Dude, this is fighting. Go watch the X-Factor if you're interested in that other crap.

This is a thread specifically about the lack of interest leading up to JDS/Cain III. If you don't want to talk about the reasons why that is (i.e the fact that neither are stars), you can leave this "other crap" alone and go read a different thread.

God forbid people actually discuss what a thread is about

Back