Relative strength of build up towards JDS/Cain 3

FistofIce**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently, JDS/Cain are better fighters than Crocop/Fedor in many people's eyes. I personally think Fedor/Crocop in their primes were more dangerous and better fighters, but I'm just interested in the amount of public's interest in all these three fights between JDS/Cain compared to Fedor/Crocop fight. It doesn't seem like, for any point in this trilogy of fights, that there were even half the amount of interest as there were for Crocop/Fedor fight. When that fight happened, it was just hard to describe the intensity of anticipation for that fight to happen, and it did in a way lived up to the hype, even though it was in a way one-sided in Fedor's favor, no one got knocked out in the first minute or brutalized and obliterated for 25 minutes straight.

Yeah the intensity is absolutely nothing compared to what it was for Fedor Crocop. Idk why either since there are more fans now and the guys are both monsters. There was just something about that match up that was intriguing as hell

I would not consider Cain dangerous. like Fedor or Cro cop were, no way jose

JDS is dangerous, still not on the level of the Pride HWs

What are you talking about? The public didn't care about MMA whatsoever at the time of Cro Cop/Fedor.

Hardcore PRIDE fans are sure to feel the Fedor/Cro Cop was a bigger fight but more of the western world will be watching Cain/JDS 3. I also think that both JDS and Cain are better fighters than Cro Cop ever was.

MMA has evolved a lot since Pride says.. but Fedor and Cro cop were N.M.K

I'm not interested at all.

The trilogy's happening way too soon and neither guy has any star power.

Great fighters, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over who wins

bit much brah

yeah. The star power issue is huge here.

bit much brah

Meh. This trilogy's just so forced.

They might be the #1 and #2 guy in the division, but there's no reason they should be fighting each other every year. Especially when neither is a huge star

Agree with you 100% here. This is the 3rd time these two are fighting in less than two years. Way too soon. You can't manufacture hype for a fight which is what the UFC has tried to do.

After this weekend, these guys will have fought each other 3 times out of their last 5 opponents. And add to this the fact that Cain has fought Bigfoot twice. He's fought the same two fighters the past 2+ years.

Yeah the intensity is absolutely nothing compared to what it was for Fedor Crocop. Idk why either since there are more fans now and the guys are both monsters. There was just something about that match up that was intriguing as hell

MMA had more mystique back then, it was a small hardcore market following it and both of these guys seemed like gods at the time. PRIDE had showmanship down to a tee and really knew how to build up two fighters before they fought. Unfortunately part of success in any sport or business means a dilution of some of the best parts.

I do think JDS and Cain could hang with a prime Cro Cop(though ring vs cage might come into it) but not Fedor.

Cain doesn't seem that dangerous but you look at his record and he has 11 wins with 10 KO/TKO's and 1 dec. That's pretty impressive considering he's been fighting the best HW's for a few years now. I'd say Cain is more dangerous than JDS despite not having as much traditional punching power.

yeah. The star power issue is huge here.

Say what you will about Brock, but he had the star power that generated interest. People cared when he fought. They needed to see his fight, whether they hated him or loved him.

Couture had it too when he was champ, and Carwin sort of had it as the interim champ just because he was this unstoppable beast and people wanted to see how many seconds he'd need to knock his opponent out.

But Cain and JDS don't have it. They're undoubtedly great fighters and are the clear #1 and #2 in the division, but they don't have the it factor that makes people need to see their fights, not just want to see them

MMA had more mystique back then, it was a small hardcore market following it and both of these guys seemed like gods at the time. PRIDE had showmanship down to a tee and really knew how to build up two fighters before they fought. Unfortunately part of success in any sport or business means a dilution of some of the best parts.

I do think JDS and Cain could hang with a prime Cro Cop(though ring vs cage might come into it) but not Fedor.

Yeah it still depresses that I only started watching MMA toward the end of Pride. It was so crazy having two top organizations that were so elite. I really liked the differences in rules/fighters/entrances etc. They really did have showmanship down. They knew how to pump ppl the fuck up

Say what you will about Brock, but he had the star power that generated interest.

Couture had it too when he was champ, and Carwin briefly had it as the interim champ just because he was this unstoppable beast.

But Cain and JDS don't have it. They're undoubtedly great fighters and are the clear #1 and #2 in the division, but they don't have the it factor that makes people need to see their fights, not just want to see them

I might be of the minority that needs to see dos santos fight. He is a weapon!

Say what you will about Brock, but he had the star power that generated interest. People cared when he fought. They needed to see his fight, whether they hated him or loved him.

Couture had it too when he was champ, and Carwin sort of had it as the interim champ just because he was this unstoppable beast and people wanted to see how many seconds he'd need to knock his opponent out.

I've never seen it like that but that is absolutely true. It is weird how much nuthugging Brock got for his so-so career in the UFC, and how pumped ppl used to get for Couture.
JDS and Cain are absolute monsters that would destroy Brock and Couture, but you're right. They dont have that X factor that intrigues and interests ppl like some others had

Agree with you 100% here. This is the 3rd time these two are fighting in less than two years. Way too soon. You can't manufacture hype for a fight which is what the UFC has tried to do.

After this weekend, these guys will have fought each other 3 times out of their last 5 opponents. And add to this the fact that Cain has fought Bigfoot twice. He's fought the same two fighters the past 2+ years.

So you would prefer if they would fight with some random cans like Fedor and CroCop did? Bullshit matches where one of the opponents is totally outmatched and has pretty much no chance of winning?

Lol @ anyone who thinks Prime CroCop or Fedor > Cain or JDS. There might have been more hype to the match but Cain and JDS are defineatly superior fighters. If you agree you are a phucking delusional fanboy.

Its alright, they could have given each one 1 more match but whats the point? Best in the business should fight best in the business. No point to hype them up by letting them fight some nonames. And UFC HW division is too shallow and these 2 are just superior than #3 and #4 heavyweights.

Thought you were a fight fan.

Back