Reign MMA real level?

Lifeisnoholiday

Ninja belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Arguably, two main fighters from that gym are Munoz and Ellenberger. I was always skeptical about both of them, especially when ppl started considering Munoz a contender. I think that now it's safe to say I was right, as both started to loose back to back after reaching a certain level of competition.

Let's look at their last 3 fights.

Munoz:
  • Very strong win over Tim Boetch, whose hype was built on miracle comeback against Okami and a boring decision against injured Lombard in a fight, where nothing happened. After that Boetch was KO'd by Phillippou.
  • Headkick KO loss to Machida in a 1st round, where Munoz did nothing. OK, we'll let that slide.
  • Sub loss to Moose. Not only was Munoz expected to dominate on the ground, but he looked helpless in his own td attempts.

Ellenberger:
  • Brutal KO of Nate Marquadt. That was the second loss of Nate's ongoing 3-fight loosing streak.
  • Snoozefest with Rory. Ellenberger was attempting to do anything, like, 3-4 times in this fight.
  • KO loss to Lawler. OK, Robbie is top 3 ww with intimidating fighting style, but again Elleburger was stalling most of the time.

We see that as soon as either fighter reaches, like, top 5 of their division, they loose. AND the couldn't do anything about it, both looked just helpless in their losses.
So, Reign MMA needs to change something, or they stay a mid-tier gym with no chance, as of now, to get higher.

I think they are both at gatekeeper level. They will beat the lower guys but will lose to the top of their divisions.

neither is at gatekeeper level. i'm a munoz fan, but his game hinges on getting his opponent to the ground, where he's been great with gnp. unfortunately for him, his highly regarded wrestling hasn't translated well into mma, much like how brock lesnar fared in his short stint. see his fights with maia and okami and it's obvious. if he wants to diversify his wrestling, he needs to train with the boys at aka. and of course his striking just isn't improving at all.

Munoz was expected to dominate Gegard on the ground?
That was definitely a minority view

reign is the same as kings mma

everyone who trains at reign, trains at kings and vice versa. the coaches and fighters go back and forth. its basically one gym with two locations

this means werdum trains at reign (back row)
Reign.jpg

when i trained at kings, all the shirts they gave me had a reign logo on it lol

All the major fighters at reign cross train at kings mma and vice versa so you have to include that gym into the equation. Kings mma is a great gym

Edit: lol same exact comment ^^^

Idk if you can call Ellenberger a gatekeeper yet. He should have beaten Kampmann for sure, but knocked out Shields who was #2 in the world at that time with GSP #1.

He does need a big win and he's not showing up for the fight at all recently. Lawler made him look like he didn't even belong there.

Ellenberger didn't train with them for the Lawler fight though right? He had Edmond Tarverdyan and Rener Gracie in his corner.

I don't really understand the whole Kings/Reign two gyms set up, seems a bit weird to me.

At one point it seemed like all Blackzillians were losing by RNC, but now they are doing pretty good.

Back