1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Regis Prograis vs Josh Taylor, October 26th, O2 Arena

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Hagler, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Rob-G

Rob-G Blue Belt

Lots of rabbit punches and nothing being done about it. Besides that lots of fun!!!!!

2. Chess Boxer

Chess Boxer Kumite Champion '94

Prograis came out early on the back foot, walked Taylor into his jab and that southpaw hook to the body. Even landed a pair of hooks to his lead side. Tried to erase his tattoo. Taylor got on his back foot 5-8, let Prograis get picked off coming forward. Prograis got tired doing it. Seemed like he had the worse weight cut despite being the smaller man. Taylor started winning coming forward too when Prograis slowed. Size difference became apparent. Prograis woke up in the champ rounds and swept them. All that early body work paid off there.

Prograis 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12
    Taylor 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

10 point must tells me I had Prograis winning, but I think he gave away more rounds than Taylor. 7-5 either way is cool. Not sure how long these guys stick around at 140. Prograis had a hard cut and Taylor is big. I could see Danny Garcia icing them both at 147.

farai and HandNoise like this.
  3. Erratic

Erratic Just Bleed Disciple

<Dany07>

It really did

4. Papa C

Papa C White Belt

I felt Josh edged that but it was close. Might be biased though with a Scottish background haha

5. City_Lights

City_Lights Brown Belt

I missed the first few rounds but that was a good fight. RP was doing alright but dropped a few rounds there before coming back for the last two.

I feel like I stopped paying attention to this division after Crawford left but it's good to see there is still talent there.

6. JudoJabs

JudoJabs White Belt

Josh Taylor impressed me, I did not think he was this good and thought Regis would win this rather easily.

The size advantage did play a role though.

farai and kenji goh like this.
  7. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

I thought Taylor clearly won. 116-112 or 117-111 seems right to me. Didnt see the draw.

Lol @ Price btw. Glad I got the Taylor call correct. Stupid to have picked Price tho, haha.

8. kenji goh

kenji goh Blue Belt

I had Taylor comfortably ahead.
    Even the rounds that Prograis won were very close and I could have given them to Taylor.
    Both of them knew who won when the final bell rung.

cottagecheesefan likes this.
  9. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

This.

Not sure how people dont understand even rounds.

Even with Gvozdyk va Beterbiev, every single person here gave the first round to Gvozdyk, but apparently a flash down makes it 10-8 or 10-9 at best, despite it not even being a real knockdown.

Kind of ridiculous.

Taylor clearly won this fight tho

10. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Taylor himself and his trainer (Shane McGuigan) thought he won by "a couple rounds". I agree with the 115-113 card. Prograis was classy in defeat and admitted that Taylor won the fight.

11. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I gave Prograis the last 2 rounds and I thought it was just enough to edge it but it really was super close. I was wondering how much credit Prograis was getting for the body punches early on. Not enough, I guess.

12. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

Close fight, id be bang up for a rematcb as we the public win.

13. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

I finally got to see it. Very even scrap IMO. Aggressiveness is key when it gets this close. I scored it 115-113 for Taylor but wouldn't mind it the other way around. Prograis is slicker but Taylor is a machine. I like his right hook inside, he times it well.

Since even rounds are allowed provided they don't happen often, I don't mind one in this context. A 117 card for Taylor is a bit weird, though, kind of like the wide scores Canelo got himself in close fights. Nothing wrong with a Taylor win, though.

A rematch will be necessary at some point. I have a feeling Prograis has more room for adjustments. This has been a nice year of high profile fights so far. I'm likely to miss Canelo - Kovalev, though :(

On a side note Taylor really looks like Jessie Pinkman from Breaking bad.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  14. Yacob

Yacob WBC Interim Junior Welterweight White Truffle Belt

I'd like to see both take a few fights before a rematch....that way we can see some new wrinkles in their games

I think Taylor proved himself to clearly be a little bit better right now. If they fought in 6 months, i don't think this looks much different unfortunately

15. Check Hook

Check Hook White Belt

What a really good fight that was.

I've been keeping an eye on Taylor from way back and thought he'd win this no problem. Prograis is an incredible fighter too though and it was pretty close in the end.

Id love to see a rematch at some point. Fight of the year for me.

16. Hagler

Taylor fought smarter, he really had in mind what to do to win rounds. Prograis's tool belt is stacked, though. He can find a way to eat less right hooks inside, commit more into some effective body punching, and find himself an angle to punish Taylor when he plants his right foot inside to set hooks and uppercuts. But he has to go to the black board and show he has the discipline to use a sound gameplan when his talent isn't enough.

JayE and Yacob like this.
  17. JayE

JayE Red Belt

I agree with the idea that Taylor's activity from 7ish to about 10 probably made the difference. Prograis kind of checked out in those rounds and that's on him. It was immense on his part to come back and own the last two rounds, but Taylor put his work in. Both are excellent fighters and I have nothing bad to say about either of them after that. Just an excellent fight between the top two guys in the world at their weight.

GoldenAzazel, Jonny Ninja and Hagler like this.
  18. Hagler

Well, let's be grateful since those aren't exactly a commodity.

As you pointed it out, Rougarou's being sort of passive in rounds 7-10, then coming back strong may be a sign of his lacking maturity, not being used to close scraps and deep waters, hence reacting once it is too late. From now on he has to show he can grow up - even if he's not exactly a kid anymore.

JayE likes this.
  19. JayE

JayE Red Belt

Taylor did have issues against Postol in the past and has had proper championship fights, so yeah, you're right about that gap in maturity. Taylor hustled when he had to, and Prograis didn't, really. Having said that, all credit to Prograis to rally like that in the last two rounds. Only a real fighter shows like that, and I have no doubt that we'll see good things from Prograis in the future.

realdealgeale, Yacob and Hagler like this.
  20. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

holy shit that was a good fight. both of these guys fought like men, this was a grueling 12 rounds.

i thought prograis was the slicker boxer, but taylor wasn't far behind in that department, and he was pressing forward most of the time. i felt like his shots were heavier and hurt prograis more than the other way around.

i felt like prograis would've done much better in those close exchanges if he kept his lead hand up. they fought in the phone booth and taylor was landing left hooks on him all night in there. those weren't just peppering shots, he put his shoulder into those. prograis relied too much on just moving his head and taylor found him more often than not. they're both southpaws, maybe taylor is just more used to fighting other southpaws? prograis struck me like he didn't really expect those shots to be coming in the way they did when they were toe to toe.

superb fight, regis has nothing to be ashamed of for this performance... but i did feel like taylor won it quite comfortably. the 114-114 card was dumb. i wasn't scoring it while watching, but 115-113 seemed reasonable to me, though i probably wouldn't object if it was even wider.

GoldenAzazel, farai and Jonny Ninja like this.