Refused to give up window seat to a kid

So, not only did you not give up your seat to a child. You came on an MMA forum to brag about it?

What happened in your childhood, Man.

I was denied a window seat back in 1992.

Really though, I certainly wasn't bragging. I admit it was kind of a dick move on my part. Just curious to hear what people think.

The fact that I posted it on a forum common to both of us is an empty criticism on your part.

You should have told the kid that he could sit on your lap when you guys land so he could see the city.

You should have peed your pants and when it soaked thru to the seat, switch chairs with the kid and get pee on that seat too.

I wouldn't have given up my seat either. I think you probably could've made things less tense or annoying if you'd told them firmly and unapologetically why you are not willing to give up your seat (not that you owed them any explanation either).

No one is saying that he should have given up his seat in the context he should have been forced to... Just that it's a dick move not to. I'm searching my brain for a reason why such a reasonable request would be not only denied, but then looked at as some kind of victory, like TS clearly does.

The only answer I can come up with is that TS is either a complete jerk... Or he had a shit childhood.

TS strikes me as the kind of guy that wouldn't play along and pretend to be shot if a kid 'shot' him with a fake gun.

I don't understand your thinking. Why is it a dick move for him not to give up his seat? How was it "such a reasonable request"? Why didn't the parents book in advance if it was so important for the kid to have a window seat?

TS taught the kid a life lesson...you can't always get what you want. It's not his job to cater to the whims of total strangers. Are we supposed to do whatever kids ask us to do? It wasn't a life or death situation and he didn't deprive anyone of anything of importance.

And then the parents have the audacity to get rustled when a total stranger doesn't cave into their wishes. Lol :rolleyes:

I was denied a window seat back in 1992.

Really though, I certainly wasn't bragging. I admit it was kind of a dick move on my part. Just curious to hear what people think.

The fact that I posted it on a forum common to both of us is an empty criticism on your part.

It was not that you were bragging. It was more of people trying to guilt you into doing some stupid shit because a kid was asking.
If it was a train with seating first come first serve and can run out of seats
but a thing like an airplane where you buy and pick your seats out ahead of time it is fucking ridiculous. You picked your seat for a reason. But what you wanted did not matter to these jackasses.

I turned down an 80 year old who wanted my aisle seat. I was nice and showed them that my long ass legs need to hang out in the aisle.

this is why i wear noise canceling headphones and close the blind on the window

Just think.... Somewhere on twitter or facebook, there is a rant about how some asshole wouldn't let a child have a window seat because he wanted 3.5 hours of terrible, waking up every 20 minutes, sleep. You taught the kid an important lesson tha our generation is not teaching the next generation of children, you don't always get what you want. I'm torn between chastising you and admiring you.

No way Wonka would have given his seat to that kid

WWWWD?

I bet watching a 9 year old's joy at seeing the miracle of assisted flight and the US of A from 30000 feet would have lifted your hangover. Instead, you reinforced your own view that the world is filled with arseholes who won't do the least little favour for a stranger unless they're legally obligated to.

And I would have offered the father to swap seats so they can all sit together before anyone asked. Like a normal person.

So had you traded seats with the kid you would be sitting in between the mom and the kid?

Fuck that jazz.

As a frequent flier, thank you. This shit annoys the fuck out of me. So many people wanna game the system and avoid the extra fees to sit where they want in the hopes they're going to guilt someone into giving them what they want.

Also, fuck the TSA. Fucking Jokey smurfs.

/thread

I bet watching a 9 year old's joy at seeing the miracle of assisted flight and the US of A from 30000 feet would have lifted your hangover. Instead, you reinforced your own view that the world is filled with arseholes who won't do the least little favour for a stranger unless they're legally obligated to.

And I would have offered the father to swap seats so they can all sit together before anyone asked. Like a normal person.

This is really the only answer that resonates with me. If there's a family split up like that and there's a kid that would clearly want the window seat, why would you even have to be asked... That's just a no brainer, imo.

What a small thing to have to give up to make a kid happy. To be honest, you probably ruined that kids day. Glad you got your window seat though, TS...

And lol at the people wanting to throw down life lessons... We're talking about a child that just wanted to see out the window on what was probably his first flight ever and it's life lessons time? Give me a break.

By denying that kid your seat just because he wanted it, you probably prevented another entitled 600 LBS passenger from forming a couple decades from now

The future thanks you

Haha that sounds like a typical Larry David moment. In all seriousness though, good on you, TS. If the family wanted a window seat so badly they could have organised it better when booking tickets. You were definitely not in the wrong in this situation, whether if it was a kid or not.

it is physics/science. Not a miracle.

Somewhere over the rainbow, which you could never reach because it's just an optical effect which would be altered long before you came anywhere near the perceived altitude.

This is really the only answer that resonates with me. If there's a family split up like that and there's a kid that would clearly want the window seat, why would you even have to be asked... That's just a no brainer, imo.

What a small thing to have to give up to make a kid happy. To be honest, you probably ruined that kids day. Glad you got your window seat though, TS...

And lol at the people wanting to throw down life lessons... We're talking about a child that just wanted to see out the window on what was probably his first flight ever and it's life lessons time? Give me a break.

Always nice to share a side of an argument with you, Buk.

And it was a guy who bought a window seat because he wanted it. The family was not separated. The dad was in the aisle seat right next to them.

If the kid's day is ruined because a complete stranger did not do what he wanted, then it is best for him to get over this now.

You can be a bitch for everyone else if you want.

It is not life lesson time. It is that he wants the window seat and bought it.

Back