Ref's decision

AcesUp22

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After watching a few playoff games, including last nights Thunder-Clippers game, I came to quite a realization.

Sports often strive for parity, neck and neck competition that produces a compelling product. When teams are individuals are evenly matched, the outcome often comes down a refs call here, a good break there etc.

The parity model produces great matches but inconclusive outcomes. This is very similar to the problem at the elite level of BJJ. Elite BJJ competitors often cancel each other out due to similar skill sets. Matches often end up tied at the end of 10 minutes. The ref is forced to make a decision based on certain criteria (activity, aggression etc). It is a very explicit decision. The ref raises the winners hand, wholly indicating "I choose him/her as the winner".

This is frustrating for many observers, but this problem is not so different than any other evenly matched competition. A few favorable calls over the course of a game (not just at the end of the game) is often the difference between two evenly matched teams. Because there are many refs decisions throughout the game, the ref deciding who wins is muddled and non-explicit.

This post is not about blaming the ref. They generally do the best job they can and are critical to most sports functioning properly. This post is about accepting that competitions often do not provide answers to "who is better" and we should just kinda accept this fact and enjoy the high level competition.

Implement that stalling rule a bit more and ref call should be a thing of the past.
Ridiculous to see a ref decision after a 10 minutes match IMO.

I am all for more anti-stalling incentives. Although putting more discretion in the hands of a referee might cause as many problems as it solves.

I would prefer the wrestling style overtimes with positional starts.

Back