Refs allowing fighters to stand up.......

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
When one guy is down and the ref holds back the standing fighter to allow him to stand does the standing fighter have to agree to it? Seems like it could be an optimum time to attack.

If it's a break in action the ref calls for, then no, he has to wait for the ref to resume action.

But if the fighter stands up on his own, he can attack any time.

But still.... as the general instructions go. Protect yourself at all times.

<{danayeah}>

Standing fighter has to wait for the ref to call for action to resume.

Yeah sometimes I think refs are too quick to stand them up like that. If you have managed to ground your opponent. They should let you fight. Even if you just want to kick the legs. It's still effective striking.

And if you want to take a step back, let your opponent try to stand up then attack them whilst they are trying to do so, you should be allowed. Because you did earn that dominant position to begin with.

The ref should only intervene if there is no action. Otherwise let them fight. It might be there strategy and it's perfectly legit.

Just like when fighters wait for a grounded opponent to take their hands off the floor so they can time the knee to head. It's a fight man.

If the ref gets between the guys, you can't do shit until he instructs you to fight, but anything else is fair game.

I hate that. Let them fight. If there is a split second break in the action they jump in to let the guy stand up.

Too intrusive.

BermudezGarza.gif

tuf3.gif

tumblr_m6d4bg6F6r1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

I never thought about it, but you see a ton of stalling when standing. Extreme cases like the Ngannou fight or Wonderboy/Woodley. Hell the majority of fights seem to start out with let’s circle the ring not throwing any punches for several minutes.

Maybe the ref should call time and put them in a grappling position on the ground. Or, could even put them in a clinch.

It's basically a trade off.

If the standing fighter wants the grounded fighter back to his feet, but the grounded fighter doesn't want to stand back up, then the ref has to get involved.

Without the ref, there's nothing to force the grounded fighter to his feet, which could result in a stalemate.

Personally, I prefer the refs are involved as little as possible. But if you want the other guy to get up, and you need the ref to make him, then you have to be ok with the ref allowing him a safe period to get to his feet.

refs should be instructed to count to 10 Mississippi's when the fight hits the ground.

then stand em up.

If the ref holds you back punch him from behind until he drops then continue your attack.

like when a jiu jitsu guy is on his back and wont get up and the striker wont go down? i have no problem with a stand up.. seems a bit unfair to the ground guy but thats life

Stand ups benefit strikers only. A grappler would prefer to keep it on the ground.

Don't give him the chance to stand it up... jumping guard pass like Prime Shogun!!!

Great question. I've often wondered about this.

Well, that, and other gems like:
If a cop tells you to, "Get out of the fucking car!", do you really have to?

Back