Reflex Bags vs Double End Bags

DeathClutch

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live in an apartment building currently, so I don't have the leeway to mount any training equipment. The gym I go to does not have a double end bag. I would really like to train on one and after doing some research came upon the freestanding reflex bags.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? Are they slow? Do they hold up or just break apart? How would you compare them to a double end bag? Just would like to see other people's experiences before I commit to one, and I have a feeling many of the reviews on the sites are less than truthful.

Any recommendations are welcome.

I've never used one, but fwiw they look gimmicky to me, like the free standing heavy bags (never hit one that I liked). I've never seen one in a gym either.

edit: also, some reviews are saying that it's too noisy for an apartment or condo. A lot of the reviews are from people who bought it for their kids, so of course they were just happy it gets put together easily and that shipping was fast :) A few adult reviews say it doesn't hold up well when hit with any significant force.

I keep my double end portable portable in my garage. The top cable hooks up to a wire rack, and the bottom cable hooks up to a sand bag with a ring on it. I'd imagine you can do something similar in a closet if you don't mind the inconvenience of moving things around.

The reflex bag isn't as good for your head movement and defense. You also can't hit it too hard or it'll tip over. Double end bags are the preferred method but living in an apartment myself I also own a reflex bag. The only problem is on occasion when you're doing slip drills the metal bar catches you on the shoulder so you should wrap some foam around it.

I keep my double end portable portable in my garage. The top cable hooks up to a wire rack, and the bottom cable hooks up to a sand bag with a ring on it. I'd imagine you can do something similar in a closet if you don't mind the inconvenience of moving things around.

Do you use it in an apartment, and if so do you ever get any complaints? I know other people have told me that their DE gets too noisy to use when there are people above/below you.

I've never used one, but fwiw they look gimmicky to me, like the free standing heavy bags (never hit one that I liked). I've never seen one in a gym either.

edit: also, some reviews are saying that it's too noisy for an apartment or condo. A lot of the reviews are from people who bought it for their kids, so of course they were just happy it gets put together easily and that shipping was fast :) A few adult reviews say it doesn't hold up well when hit with any significant force.

I saw that too. People with kids loved them, but adults say they don't stand up to any force.

Noise isn't a huge worry for me as I only have people directly below me.

The reflex bag isn't as good for your head movement and defense. You also can't hit it too hard or it'll tip over. Double end bags are the preferred method but living in an apartment myself I also own a reflex bag. The only problem is on occasion when you're doing slip drills the metal bar catches you on the shoulder so you should wrap some foam around it.

Have you had any trouble with it staying together? Which one do you own if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: also, did you find it worth your investment?

Last edited:
You can use a tennis ball w/ surgical tubing for a dbl end bag. Lots of others have done that because it works well, is simple, and costs about $10 total. <--- Can't imagine that would be that noisy.

Good: Cobra Reflex Punching Bag - Boxing Equipment - Ringside

2011.01.14 ABF Gym 7:30pm Pro boxer Danny Alvarez hitting the Cobra Reflex Bag - YouTube

Bad Everlast Freestanding Leather Punching Reflex Bag - Walmart.com

Relex bag Workout Everlast Boxing - YouTube

I had one for about a year until a drunk friend broke the spring by trying to use it as a catapult. They are not as good as a proper double end bag, however, they are a great substitute.

Everlast PowerCore Free Standing Heavy Bag - Walmart.com

I use this in my garage and love it. 250 pounds filled with water you can work speed because it bounces back when you hit it. It's duarrable I kick the shit out of it. I would get this over the reflex bag you so you can work your hooks to the body.

Everlast PowerCore Free Standing Heavy Bag - Walmart.com

I use this in my garage and love it. 250 pounds filled with water you can work speed because it bounces back when you hit it. It's duarrable I kick the shit out of it. I would get this over the reflex bag you so you can work your hooks to the body.

I already have access to a punching bag.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I'm gonna check that Cobra bag out. It looks like what I'm looking for.

Cung Le's old gym had a large area of Ringside Cobra Reflex bags and nobody there could tip them over or make them move. You should be putting around 150lb of sand at the bottom using circular anchors.

I can't speak to other reflex bags, but I do own the Everlast Freestanding Reflex Bag. It is much slower to 'reflex' than my top and bottom bag. In my experience, this bag is okay for training straight jabs, crosses, hooks, horizontal elbows, slips, and footwork. But if you use kicks, uppercuts, or upward elbows, the strike head gets destroyed in one training round (Everlast sent me a new one without much trouble). Another even more serious issue though, which you can witness at about 7:25 in the training video I've linked below, is that the top half of the unit, just above the height adjustment point, will sometimes come loose and catapult off across the room. I've had my upper bar flung right through a wood door and my drywall. Had this occurred when there was a person standing in the line of trajectory, or had it been flung back toward me, the result could have been even fatal. Everlast needs to fix these design flaws before someone gets seriously hurt... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Fec7vRdIk&list=UUjKefcU9sVTGpGkjnSLzAmw

Back