Reflecting on the Fury vs Wilder trilogy

resume wise yes, but in terms of H2H he's up there... a 6f9 280lb guy that can move the way he does is unprecedented.....he can do the boxing stuff and win a dominant points decision and now with Kronk training he can now become a pressure fighter

It be hard to find out what heavies in the past could beat him... Lennox, Ali only a few i would favor comfortably over him even then he would make those hard fights

based on what exactly? He’s never even faced a top contender his whole career. He has a whole fckin division to clear out and that was his first ever title defence, and people are talking him up to ridiculous levels, like he’s boxing’s Conor McGregor.
Let’s put it in to perspective! He’s beaten a hugely floored but very powerful KO artist twice. A guy who has beaten nobodies his whole career. And he’s beaten an old, fading champion. He may well be that good but he still has it all to prove

based on what exactly? He’s never even faced a top contender his whole career. He has a whole fckin division to clear out and that was his first ever title defence, and people are talking him up to ridiculous levels, like he’s boxing’s Conor McGregor.
Let’s put it in to perspective! He’s beaten a hugely floored but very powerful KO artist twice. A guy who has beaten nobodies his whole career. And he’s beaten an old, fading champion. He may well be that good but he still has it all to prove
Its amazing to me that the same people who say Wilder is a bum want to call Fury an ATG right now. If all youve ever done is beaten a supposed bum and a well past his prime Wlad (in one of the worst fights of all time while also testing positive for steroids), how the fook can you be an ATG?

Its amazing to me that the same people who say Wilder is a bum want to call Fury an ATG right now. If all youve ever done is beaten a supposed bum and a well past his prime Wlad (in one of the worst fights of all time while also testing positive for steroids), how the fook can you be an ATG?

Dissing your favorite boxer’s rivals happens all the time in spite of its unquestionable stupidity.

its beautifully ironic but that’s boxing fans for ya

I really do look forward to him fighting usyk, Whyte, Joshua etc (If he doesn’t pack of all in). He’ll be favoured in all the fights but if he really wants to me known as the best of his generation, he has to do. far more than he has so far.

Wait....Tyson has never faced a top contender?? He beat Wlad that was on his streak, undefeated Deontay x2 (x3 really), handed the undefeated Wallin his only loss and beat Chisora x2 (the same guy that took Usyk to the brink recent) including stopping him. There is no active heavyweight with better top wins than Fury. The thing with boxing is after fighter A beats fighter B, fighter B then becomes a can; much like how many now think a wet paper bag wilder would chin Deontay, where as previously he was seen as the scariest heavyweight in the world.

And who thru out history are you 100% sure beats him if you had a time machine and could place any HW from the past vs this current Fury? Heavyweights of yester year are middle to cruiserweights today at best, and a guy like Tyson is not some big clumsy giant like Primo Carnera or Valuev.

I don't think it's a sure thing Tyson beats Ali, Holmes, Lewis or Mike Tyson, but he definitely would have a chance and present issues for any man.

ime will tell how important the trilogy was, but I have a feeling it will be absolutely historic and elevate both fighters' profiles, much in the way that Ali and Frazier did to each other. I can not recall any trilogy having so much drama while simultaneously also being so dominated by one fighter, which is a testament to the power of Deontay Wilder.

It won't elevate wilder as a fighter because the trilogy exposed him as someone who only has a right hand and can't box, which is very different to the brilliant display of skill and heart in the Ali/Frazer trilogy, so its quite a bit different although a similar display drama and heart.

It won't elevate wilder as a fighter because the trilogy exposed him as someone who only has a right hand and can't box, which is very different to the brilliant display of skill and heart in the Ali/Frazer trilogy, so its quite a bit different although a similar display drama and heart.
It may be the trilogy exposed Deontay as an over rated one trick pony, but it may also be that Fury is just that good, much in the way Mayweather made Canelo and Pacman look like amateurs, or Ray Leonard made Duran look like a gun shy quitter. Everything is relative in boxing. Deontay certainly had more success than wlad tho, and no one denies Wlad is an all time great. Most likely we're going to have to see how things play out from here- i.e. if Deontay beats Ruiz, Joshua and Usyk, then what? There is a chance Deontay may be Cormier and Fury his Jones.

its beautifully ironic but that’s boxing fans for ya

I really do look forward to him fighting usyk, Whyte, Joshua etc (If he doesn’t pack of all in). He’ll be favoured in all the fights but if he really wants to me known as the best of his generation, he has to do. far more than he has so far.
I cant wait for Usyk (assuming AJ doesnt knock his block off). He brings a puzzle for Fury to solve that no one else can compare to right now.

If the white fighter didn't get 15 seconds instead of 10 seconds while knocked down Wilder wins 2 of 3.

There have definitely been more competitive trilogies (Gatti vs Ward, Ali vs Frazier) but the one stand out thing about the Fury vs Wilder trilogy is that in each fight, we have arguably seen a GOAT candidate for an aspect of boxing.

In the first fight, we saw the arguably the most amazing/ shocking moment in boxing history.

I still can't get over how Fury was able to rise in the 12th, given that IMO, Wilder is one of the top two most explosive punchers in boxing history (along with Earnie Shavers), and that shot he landed would have flatlined almost any other man on the planet. The fact that Fury was able to get up was nothing short of inspirational.

In the second fight, we saw arguably the most dominant and one of the greatest performances in boxing history.

As i mentioned above, wilder being one of the top two most explosive punchers ever, to quote the gypsy king himself, it takes "balls of steel" to go after such a threat. Yet Fury took the fight to wilder, bullied him and forced his corner to throw in the towel. I said at the time and id reiterate it, imo, there hasn't been a man who has yet stepped into a boxing ring who could have beaten that version of Fury that night.

In the third right, we saw arguably one of the greatest fights of all time.

It definitely wasn't the most technical fight of all time, but it was crazy. Fury got a little worse technically compared to the second fight whereas Wilder improved, but it was the grit and the heart both men displayed was nothing that was crazy to watch.

In summary, one of the more exciting trilogies in boxing history, even if one fighter arguably dominated it. What are your post week thoughts Sherbros?

I think a few more things to be added to the first fight is Fury's comeback from a dark place. All that time off as coke fueled alcohol dependent fella who suffered with massive bouts of depression...even if he came back and lost that takes some doing, coming back to fight some guys who's punch power is apparently off the scale thats something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Wait....Tyson has never faced a top contender?? He beat Wlad that was on his streak, undefeated Deontay x2 (x3 really), handed the undefeated Wallin his only loss and beat Chisora x2 (the same guy that took Usyk to the brink recent) including stopping him. There is no active heavyweight with better top wins than Fury. The thing with boxing is after fighter A beats fighter B, fighter B then becomes a can; much like how many now think a wet paper bag wilder would chin Deontay, where as previously he was seen as the scariest heavyweight in the world.

And who thru out history are you 100% sure beats him if you had a time machine and could place any HW from the past vs this current Fury? Heavyweights of yester year are middle to cruiserweights today at best, and a guy like Tyson is not some big clumsy giant like Primo Carnera or Valuev.

I don't think it's a sure thing Tyson beats Ali, Holmes, Lewis or Mike Tyson, but he definitely would have a chance and present issues for any man.

the only contender hes fought is wilder in the 3rd fight. His other fights with wilder and wlad he was the challenger to their world titles. My point is he has loads to do to clear out the division. He only holds 1 of the 4 belts after all. There’s another guy in the division who has the exact same claim

And you’ve proved my point with wallin and chisora. Chisora is a perpetual gatekeeper and no one even knew who wallin was when they fought. His win with wallin may well look much better if he beats Whyte at the end of the month

usyk has the best wins in the division, followed by Joshua, but fury can change that. Let’s see where he goes from here. I think there’s every possibility he retires fairly soon. And if he does, as per my post, he can’t really claim to be the best of his generation

It may be the trilogy exposed Deontay as an over rated one trick pony, but it may also be that Fury is just that good, much in the way Mayweather made Canelo and Pacman look like amateurs, or Ray Leonard made Duran look like a gun shy quitter. Everything is relative in boxing. Deontay certainly had more success than wlad tho, and no one denies Wlad is an all time great. Most likely we're going to have to see how things play out from here- i.e. if Deontay beats Ruiz, Joshua and Usyk, then what? There is a chance Deontay may be Cormier and Fury his Jones.

the real question is how likely is it that wilder fights any of those guys. I hope he does because they are all great fights, but I’m not particularly confident about it. The Ruiz fight should be fairly easy to make so hopefully that’s up within his next 2 fights

Fury still ascending, Wilder redeemed as some sort of anti hero, Joshua's rep in the toilet. Can any trainer get him over his ptsd?

the real question is how likely is it that wilder fights any of those guys. I hope he does because they are all great fights, but I’m not particularly confident about it. The Ruiz fight should be fairly easy to make so hopefully that’s up within his next 2 fights
Yah, I am not sure. His manager said he will fight in April/May, probably a warm up fight and then parlay that into a larger fight. I am hoping he takes Joshua - assuming he loses again and Fury takes Usyk. There were rumors of Ruiz being in the mix too. Wilder wants that 4th Fury fight, even wanted the immediate rematch, so I am hopeful he'll atleast campaign vigorously to get it, which would mean he would need some big wins.

Last edited:
Yah, I am not sure. His manager said he will fight in April/May, probably a warm up fight and then parlay that into a larger fight. I am hoping he takes Joshua - assuming he loses again and Fury takes Usyk. There were rumors of Ruiz being in the mix too. Wilder wants that 4th Fury fight, even wanted the immediate rematch, so I am hopeful he ill atleast campaign vigorously to get it, which would mean he would need some big wins.

well he is in a position where he needs to fight a couple of genuine contenders as he’s running out of time with his age. I certainly don’t begrudge him a step down after his last 2 fights. Hopefully this means he is gonna take the tougher challenges. I’ll never claim to be a fan of wilder but there are so many fights I’d like to see him in. The only fights I’m not really interested in are another fury rematch he and usyk, as we know how they play out

Duran was gun shy?? Yeah because Leonard was really beating him up. C'mon. He quit because he was fed up with Leonard dancing around him and refusing to engage with him despite being the bigger man. Who won the first fight when they went toe to toe? And Wlad was right at the tail end of his career when he fought Fury, let's not forget that. The guy couldn't pull the trigger. I'm all for Wilder actually testing himself by fighting the rest of the division but let's not also forget that he turned down a career-high payday against Joshua to pursue a fat, out of shape, drugged up and suicidal Fury because he was the 'lineal' lol He went for the softer option and it blew up in his face. Wilder needs to prove himself big time because other than Fury he's fought virtually nobody.

well he is in a position where he needs to fight a couple of genuine contenders as he’s running out of time with his age. I certainly don’t begrudge him a step down after his last 2 fights. Hopefully this means he is gonna take the tougher challenges. I’ll never claim to be a fan of wilder but there are so many fights I’d like to see him in. The only fights I’m not really interested in are another fury rematch he and Usyk, as we know how they play out
I think the Usyk fight could be fun, just to see how Usyk would deal with that kind of power. and find where Wilder sits in relation to the rest of division. Admittedly, there are more fun stylistic matchups, like AJ or Ruiz, but Wilder's huge reach advantage, size, aggression and awkwardness may make it interesting. Unlike AJ, Wilder would bring it to Usyk like Chisora did, would not be afraid to go out on his shield. I think losing the extra muscle will help his cardio alot too.

Back