Reflecting on the Fury vs Wilder trilogy

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There have definitely been more competitive trilogies (Gatti vs Ward, Ali vs Frazier) but the one stand out thing about the Fury vs Wilder trilogy is that in each fight, we have arguably seen a GOAT candidate for an aspect of boxing.

In the first fight, we saw the arguably the most amazing/ shocking moment in boxing history.

I still can't get over how Fury was able to rise in the 12th, given that IMO, Wilder is one of the top two most explosive punchers in boxing history (along with Earnie Shavers), and that shot he landed would have flatlined almost any other man on the planet. The fact that Fury was able to get up was nothing short of inspirational.

In the second fight, we saw arguably the most dominant and one of the greatest performances in boxing history.

As i mentioned above, wilder being one of the top two most explosive punchers ever, to quote the gypsy king himself, it takes "balls of steel" to go after such a threat. Yet Fury took the fight to wilder, bullied him and forced his corner to throw in the towel. I said at the time and id reiterate it, imo, there hasn't been a man who has yet stepped into a boxing ring who could have beaten that version of Fury that night.

In the third right, we saw arguably one of the greatest fights of all time.

It definitely wasn't the most technical fight of all time, but it was crazy. Fury got a little worse technically compared to the second fight whereas Wilder improved, but it was the grit and the heart both men displayed was nothing that was crazy to watch.

In summary, one of the more exciting trilogies in boxing history, even if one fighter arguably dominated it. What are your post week thoughts Sherbros?

It was a decent trilogy, but nothing on say bowe vs Holyfield! In reality none of the fight were competitive. Fury wasn’t in great shape in the first fight, but still made wilder miss all night, other than a couple of occasions.
The 2nd and 3rd fight were one sided beatings for the vast majority. As a fan of fury I enjoyed them but they weren’t competitive! I’ll agree that fury was exceptional in the 2nd fight, but let’s not get carried away. And the 3rd fight was an enjoyable slopfest. Lol at ‘one of the greatest fights of all time’!

Time will tell how important the trilogy was, but I have a feeling it will be absolutely historic and elevate both fighters' profiles, much in the way that Ali and Frazier did to each other. I can not recall any trilogy having so much drama while simultaneously also being so dominated by one fighter, which is a testament to the power of Deontay Wilder.

One has to wonder if they both keep winning if a 4th fight may be in the cards, especially given how well this fight sold and the money it generated. I know I would not be the only one that would watch the shit out of it.

There have definitely been more competitive trilogies (Gatti vs Ward, Ali vs Frazier) but the one stand out thing about the Fury vs Wilder trilogy is that in each fight, we have arguably seen a GOAT candidate for an aspect of boxing.

In the first fight, we saw the arguably the most amazing/ shocking moment in boxing history.

I still can't get over how Fury was able to rise in the 12th, given that IMO, Wilder is one of the top two most explosive punchers in boxing history (along with Earnie Shavers), and that shot he landed would have flatlined almost any other man on the planet. The fact that Fury was able to get up was nothing short of inspirational.

In the second fight, we saw arguably the most dominant and one of the greatest performances in boxing history.

As i mentioned above, wilder being one of the top two most explosive punchers ever, to quote the gypsy king himself, it takes "balls of steel" to go after such a threat. Yet Fury took the fight to wilder, bullied him and forced his corner to throw in the towel. I said at the time and id reiterate it, imo, there hasn't been a man who has yet stepped into a boxing ring who could have beaten that version of Fury that night.

In the third right, we saw arguably one of the greatest fights of all time.

It definitely wasn't the most technical fight of all time, but it was crazy. Fury got a little worse technically compared to the second fight whereas Wilder improved, but it was the grit and the heart both men displayed was nothing that was crazy to watch.

In summary, one of the more exciting trilogies in boxing history, even if one fighter arguably dominated it. What are your post week thoughts Sherbros?

You called the 12th rd KD the most amazing/shocking moment in Boxing history.
You called Furys performance in the 2nd fight the greatest performance in history. And said hed beat any fighter ever that night.
And you called the entire series the greatest trilogy in boxing.

Watch Boxing much?

You called the 12th rd KD the most amazing/shocking moment in Boxing history.
You called Furys performance in the 2nd fight the greatest performance in history. And said hed beat any fighter ever that night.
And you called the entire series the greatest trilogy in boxing.

Watch Boxing much?
never called it the greatest trilogy so get your facts right

I seem to remember gatti ward being more media bs than being actually competitive. Maybe I’m wrong as I watched those live and don’t remember but didn’t gatti boxed the second and third fight, making life much easier for himself?

One has to wonder if they both keep winning if a 4th fight may be in the cards, especially given how well this fight sold and the money it generated. I know I would not be the only one that would watch the shit out of it.

it didnt sell well, it sold 600k PPVs which isnt a great deal at all

it didnt sell well, it sold 600k PPVs which isnt a great deal at all
I think 600K in just the US, and given the circumstances, is actually very good. No question the fight took a hit from Fury dominating the previous two battles tho.

Lets calm down with the Fury "greatest of all time" talk. He beat Wilder, for fucks sake.
resume wise yes, but in terms of H2H he's up there... a 6f9 280lb guy that can move the way he does is unprecedented.....he can do the boxing stuff and win a dominant points decision and now with Kronk training he can now become a pressure fighter

It be hard to find out what heavies in the past could beat him... Lennox, Ali only a few i would favor comfortably over him even then he would make those hard fights

in many ways this trilogy was a blunder on Wilder's part.. it was very much a "cherry pick gone wrong"

-first he turns down 100 million dollar pay day against AJ. he thought Fury would be an easy win as he was coming back from 2 years of ring rust, 400lbs, drug abuse etc. He thought having the "lineal" title would give him a stronger foothold in negotiations
it was a plan that backfired. Fury pretty much trolled his way back to a title lol

It was fun, with its share of iconic moments. This we can agree upon.

I think the 3rd fight was sloppy because Fury wanted to prove who was the tougher man . Like , forget boxing - lets hit each other until one of us falls .
It's because he didn't come in as good shape as the second fight. Fury said this after the third fight. That's why his tactics in the third fight were more agricultural.

in many ways this trilogy was a blunder on Wilder's part.. it was very much a "cherry pick gone wrong"

-first he turns down 100 million dollar pay day against AJ. he thought Fury would be an easy win as he was coming back from 2 years of ring rust, 400lbs, drug abuse etc. He thought having the "lineal" title would give him a stronger foothold in negotiations
it was a plan that backfired. Fury pretty much trolled his way back to a title lol
Yeah this tends to get forgotten by some people. Ironically the same people will also claim Wilder would steam roll AJ which just emphasises what a big mistake going the Fury route was.

resume wise yes, but in terms of H2H he's up there... a 6f9 280lb guy that can move the way he does is unprecedented.....he can do the boxing stuff and win a dominant points decision and now with Kronk training he can now become a pressure fighter

It be hard to find out what heavies in the past could beat him... Lennox, Ali only a few i would favor comfortably over him even then he would make those hard fights
There is no one calling Tyson the most decorated heavyweight of all time, tho there are people who would fancy his chances if you had a time machine and could face this Fury off vs any heavyweight over time. The heavyweights have moved on as much over the past 40 years as they did from the the time of Dempsey to Ali. Even Wilder would dwarf the greats of the past, nm what Tyson would do.

Back