Referee was really in a tough spot in the main event.

TemDee

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Rewatched the finish a few times now. It appears the ref decides to stop the fight as TJ eats a clean hook and is dropped for the final time, even though he's attempting to scramble.

The reality is that a desperation single leg on Henry Cejudo has almost no chance of working and he was likely just going to take more abuse, but, he was still attempting to improve position, and that's supposed to be the metric by which a judge uses to determine whether a fight should continue or not.

I guess the question I have for you guys is whether a referee should call the fight once a fighter has little to no chance of winning, or once they're unable to attempt to improve position and defend themselves?

Nah... did you see Mirg let Glover eat a handful of shitty back to the head elbows and almost die at 40 only to come back and get a finish win minutes later? TJ deserved about half of that. Thanks for nothing hair gel ref.

I can see why people say early stoppage, but look at the state of the fight at the time its stopepd: TJ is on his hands and knees blindly reaching for a leg like guys do when they're concussed, he was also acting super delusional in the post-fight presser so it could be he doesn't even entirely remember how the fight played out and didnt know he took that many shots. Your brain getting dehydrated from a weight cut and weakening your chin is a real thing and he just paid the price for it.

It’s a title fight and even though I don’t think Tj was going to recover, the ref should have let it go a bit longer.

Such a big fight on the line for all parties involved and for it to get stopped the way it did is tough, man. I think title fights should be allowed to go a bit longer though under reasonable circumstances.

TJ's crying at the presser was the worst... "I didn't even get a chance to fight" no dude you got dropped twice in 35 seconds. Quitchybitchin.

I guess the question I have for you guys is whether a referee should call the fight once a fighter has little to no chance of winning, or once they're unable to attempt to improve position and defend themselves?

It's not up to the ref to decide their chance of winning.

It's all about their ability to defend themselves. And based on that the fight was stopped too early.

The closest fight I can think of to this is Overeem/JDS, where JDS is taking punches but attempting to improve his position.

TJ had four options. He could turtle up, pull guard, grab the leg, or just attempt to stand up and give his back. If you turtle up, the ref calls it. When JDS attempted to stand up to Overeem, the fight was called. TJ attempted to grab the leg against Cejudo and the fight was called. I don't believe TJ or JDS had any chance of winning their respective fights, but I do think they were trying their best to recover.

Rewatched the finish a few times now. It appears the ref decides to stop the fight as TJ eats a clean hook and is dropped for the final time, even though he's attempting to scramble.

The reality is that a desperation single leg on Henry Cejudo has almost no chance of working and he was likely just going to take more abuse, but, he was still attempting to improve position, and that's supposed to be the metric by which a judge uses to determine whether a fight should continue or not.

He was still in the fight. way to early stoppage imo. he was in trouble, sure. But he was scrambling and defendng. Its a title fight ffs. I feel robbed of a contest.

The referee was the only man less clearheaded than Dillashaw. Was jumped around like a phucking jack-in-the-box. It was ridiculous

Yeah not a fan of the stoppage, but excitement and panic hits even refs. Respect to Cejudo in any case. Would like to see them fight at 135 in case TJ was too depleted at 125.

It's also his job to prevent unneccesary damage so I can live with it

It's also his job to prevent unneccesary damage so I can live with it

Then he shouldn't have let them fight in the first place. Nobody was unconscious, turtling-up or trying to run away and it was only 30 seconds into the first round.

I've seen guys stop moving, then they start moving again. Give them a chance to start moving again too.

Fuck yeah, now we are talking.

Just give the corner a towel so they can decide if they have to

Back