Referee Decisions.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Peteyandjia, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Autumn Rose Staff Member Forum Administrator

Just had a fight, he's in my closed guard, it goes to time, both of us - no points, no advantages.

Referee walks over to the timekeeper, walks back over to us, says "we don't have time for overtime so the other guy won because he was more aggressive."

As if his aggression (shaking around in my guard without offering any hint of an open or passage) was worth more than the deep collar grab I had trying to work for a choke the whole time.

Oh well, I know it's my own fault for not being better/sweeping/finishing him.

/end crybaby rant.

2. Herbalized

Herbalized Blue Belt

It's sad how refs and judges still don't know who's winning when guys are grappling. BJJ is basically the foundation of MMA, so why is it that the guard is still considered defensive? Until we get black belt judges and refs, we will continue to see bad judging.

3. FlyingHendo

FlyingHendo KINGS OF EUROPE 2013

Throwin' heavy leather at UFC media days /w Jon Jo
    Wow! We don't have time for overtime? What kind of shitty organisation is that?

Anyways...good luck next time petey. Just take his head off.

4. Waldorf

Waldorf Blue Belt

It sucks, but that the way it is. I know Naga does ot for no gi, but won't usually for GI (I had an OT there once). I think IBJJF doesn't have OT either. I can understand the events not having OT, they have to keep it moving and a lot of OT matches could make things longers, put them over their commitment etc. I lost once on a refs decision,and was disappointed, but more it myself for not getting doing more. They had to pick someone Anyway, there's always the next one.

5. dirtypablo

dirtypablo Brown Belt

I have seen the guy on bottom get the win in tied matches via refs decision. How do you know it was bad judging?

6. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

"we dont have time for overtime" wow...

even if that was the reason it was pretty unprofessional of him to say it.

7. DeathOrgy

DeathOrgy Brown Belt

That ref sucks. If there was no time for overtime, and nobody was winning, why not make it a draw?

8. dirtypablo

dirtypablo Brown Belt

I would assume it was a tournament, and someone had to advance to the next round.

9. DeathOrgy

DeathOrgy Brown Belt

I thought it was weird there were such strict time constraints, but a tournament makes sense.

10. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I'm not sure about this.

I've seen plenty of ref decisions given to the guy working guard, because of the activity and various different looks they gave.

I don't know if guard is given a completely fair shake, but I'm seeing it win those decisions if played aggressively.

11. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Referee decision can be so bias anyway. some ref give the win for agressive guard passing attempt and some other give the win for stronger guard etc....

If you are the ref and there is no points or advantage, the official should signal it to the referee (when there is about 1-2 minutes left) then you have to warm the players for stalling and demand action.

then start awarding advantage to get the fight going.

12. daruff123

daruff123 White Belt

I lost a decision when it was scored 2-2 with 4 advantages each. There were tons of scrambles and sub attempts the whole time. I was dissapointed that I lost, but that must have been a hard decision to make.

13. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

well you were on your back...

14. Coolcatsithe

Coolcatsithe White Belt

Yeah this my thought too. I was in a very similar situation in a tournament and we went into 2 overtimes and EVERY time the guy would back down from the takedown phase to pull a guard. I even came the closest to a pass in it when i escaped an armbar, but he still was just barely holding onto my sleeve between his legs even though the rest of me was passed.

Pulling guard to skip out of the takedowns = caving in

Felt bad man.

Judges can kiss my ass.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  15. agaskill

agaskill White Belt

Agreed. Right decision or wrong decision on winner, you shouldn't say that. Just come out declare a winner and move on.

16. GnPFury

GnPFury Yellow Belt

The opposite just happened to me this weekend. I lost based on referee decision but I was the guy on top in my opponent's guard. So it can go both ways.

17. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

I feel for TS. I recently lost a two to two decision because the guy stalled on bottom in half butterfly guard with his other leg in a rubber guard position on my back the whole time. While I was trying to pass the whole time he just held that and went for a bulls*** kimura attempt and I guess that was being more aggressive.

Oh well. Next time don't leave it to the ref right?

18. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Unfotunately you can never let it go to a decision. You can and will get screwed eventually. Be more agressive next time and attack from the bottom.

19. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Dude that sucks. Good luck next time.

20. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

Next time, grab his leg as he tries to pull guard. You should get the 2 points as you usually aren't allowed to pull guard to avoid a takedown. All you need is to grab his pant leg as he's jumping and a good ref should award you the points. (Although I just realized that I'm talking about with the gi, which may not be the case here?)