Referee counting when the guy is out

original

These are the most frustrating.
What's wrong with this count? He goes to 9, and then waves it when he's about to count 10.
He should have said "10" but ultimately it doesn't matter, once you get to 10 it's over, hence why he called it.

Pirog Jacobs had a rough count. Jacobs went down, the ref got to 5 and said nah but Jacobs started moving as it was being called.

Don't know if he would've beaten the count but stopping at 5 was lame
Now that fight would be what it was like if Fury/Wilder were waved off.

It's interesting b/c my gut tells me if you knock a guy out and he's down unconscious then you should just wave it. But I believe the rule is you have to let them have a chance to wake up and recover until the 10 count is over. I think if someone is obv knocked out to the ref, then he can call it right there and then, no issue. But at the same time I've seen guys get ko'd cold. wake up, get up by 10 and keep going.

Fury/Wilder is a good example of that. A bad example is Donaire/Montiel where the dude looked like he had a seizure on the ground and Mora still allowed him to get back up only to get mauled for 2 secs and stopped again. That was a koty candidate that somehow the genius Russell Mora allowed to keep going for no reason. On the other hand, Fury in his own words was out until around 4 secs into the count and was somehow able to zombie himself up and survive the rd.

So basically, idk. If they're obv out then call it right there and then, if you're not sure, keep counting, I guess. Never get up later than 8 if you can help it, that's just asking for the ref to count you out.

It's interesting b/c my gut tells me if you knock a guy out and he's down unconscious then you should just wave it. But I believe the rule is you have to let them have a chance to wake up and recover until the 10 count is over. I think if someone is obv knocked out to the ref, then he can call it right there and then, no issue. But at the same time I've seen guys get ko'd cold. wake up, get up by 10 and keep going.

Fury/Wilder is a good example of that. A bad example is Donaire/Montiel where the dude looked like he had a seizure on the ground and Mora still allowed him to get back up only to get mauled for 2 secs and stopped again. That was a koty candidate that somehow the genius Russell Mora allowed to keep going for no reason. On the other hand, Fury in his own words was out until around 4 secs into the count and was somehow able to zombie himself up and survive the rd.

So basically, idk. If they're obv out then call it right there and then, if you're not sure, keep counting, I guess. Never get up later than 8 if you can help it, that's just asking for the ref to count you out.
To be fair to Mora, I don't think he could see Montiel flopping around before he began the count.

To be fair to Mora, I don't think he could see Montiel flopping around before he began the count.
What do you think about the rule? If a ref sees a guy is out should he call it, or should he give him the 10 count anyway? I'm conflicted about that part.

What do you think about the rule? If a ref sees a guy is out should he call it, or should he give him the 10 count anyway? I'm conflicted about that part.
Refs discretion I guess. He's looking right at their face. I suppose it can't really hurt to just count.

WTF 7 8 boxer smile 10
Boxer is being cocky here.....its 9 then he waves it off.....instead of smirking and being cocky he should have stood up

There are fights where only the doctor is allowed to stop the fight. Not common these days.

What's wrong with this count? He goes to 9, and then waves it when he's about to count 10.
He should have said "10" but ultimately it doesn't matter, once you get to 10 it's over, hence why he called it.

Yeah he wasn't even attempting to stand at 9. Despite his protesting, I don't think he was going to stand at 10 either - not that it would matter, he needs to be up by 10.

Agree, you don't get a 10 count +1. The count reaches 10, its over.

Yeah he wasn't even attempting to stand at 9. Despite his protesting, I don't think he was going to stand at 10 either - not that it would matter, he needs to be up by 10.

I watched this live and Cazares just wasn't paying attention. He seemed more interested in nodding at Frampton.

He said after the count was out of sync with the PA. He was getting beat and it was only the second round.

And in Britain the refs are stricter. The unwritten rule is get on your feet at 8.

Pirog Jacobs had a rough count. Jacobs went down, the ref got to 5 and said nah but Jacobs started moving as it was being called.

Don't know if he would've beaten the count but stopping at 5 was lame
Robert Byrd is bad about that, Jack Reiss should have reffed the Conor May fight

Referee counting over Joe Walcott's dead body comes to mind.

Referee counting over Joe Walcott's dead body comes to mind.

That's a long count too, he goes down at 26s and the count ends at 39s.

Better to count to 10 and be sure than have MMA like stoppages when fighters are clearly not out.
What's the reason not to count to 10? A slight delay in the medical team getting to the fighter? And even then I doubt 10 seconds really makes any difference to that.

Whenever I think about crazy ko's/kd's/counts, I think of the Miranda/Banks ko. He was stuck seemingly unconscious for a good 5 secs or so it looked like, in between the fucking ropes, lol. Then got up and almost beat the count somehow, even tho he was in no shape to continue, obv.

Back