Reface App, a new Shoop tool?

Volador

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So, maybe some of you guys were aware of this already, but I wasn't. I was doing something on my phone and saw an ad for this app. Apparently it was launched on August, 2020. It lets you automatically replace faces on gifs, videos and images in about 30 seconds. Free if you let the ads play, although it has a "premium" option. Are we witnessing a new shoop tool? What do you guys think? It's not perfect, but for videos in particular it seems pretty good. I made some quick tests using this stock photo of Conor:

conor-face.jpg

The app didn't seem to handle the KO'd Conor images as well, I wonder how Shadface would do. It seems like the software might do better recognizing neutral expressions.

Results (all these took about 30 seconds to make in the app):

Gifs:

conor-shame.gif

conor-travolta.gif

Still images (probably weakest results compared to a "handmade" shoop):

conor-K.jpg

Conor-vermeer.jpg

Video (IMO very impressive results, especially because this took 30 seconds and 0 effort):

What does the Shoop community think? Will this be a new Shoop tool? Does it take the "romance" out of it? Impressed/unimpressed? Is AI going to take over and destroy us? <EdgyBrah>

Official trailer for app:

Last edited:
It makes people look dead in the face a lot of the times or warps them , eyes look so souless.
It can be fun to mess around with though.

Pretty crazy for how quickly it can be done but it seems to lose the likeness pretty easily. If I didn't know that it was Conor before looking at them I don't think I would be able to tell it's him on a couple of them.

Pretty crazy for how quickly it can be done but it seems to lose the likeness pretty easily. If I didn't know that it was Conor before looking at them I don't think I would be able to tell it's him on a couple of them.

Yeah true, the image manipulation really pales in comparison to a good shoop. I've been playing around and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the video stuff. It's a bit hit and miss, but sometimes it works really well and it's like making a quick decent deepfake in less than a minute.

Upon further review, the downside is that you can only work with a bunch of predetermined clips. If in a few years they develop it to the point where you can upload any clip you want and do the face swap, then it might be a true Shoop tool. I don't think we're far off techonology-wise. As far as I know the process for making an actual deepfake is pretty involved, although I haven't really looked into it.

So, maybe some of you guys were aware of this already, but I wasn't. I was doing something on my phone and saw an ad for this app. Apparently it was launched on August, 2020. It lets you automatically replace faces on gifs, videos and images in about 30 seconds. Free if you let the ads play, although it has a "premium" option. Are we witnessing a new shoop tool? What do you guys think? It's not perfect, but for videos in particular it seems pretty good. I made some quick tests using this stock photo of Conor:

conor-face.jpg

The app didn't seem to handle the KO'd Conor images as well, I wonder how Shadface would do. It seems like the software might do better recognizing neutral expressions.

Results (all these took about 30 seconds to make in the app):

Gifs:

conor-shame.gif

conor-travolta.gif

Still images (probably weakest results compared to a "handmade" shoop):

conor-K.jpg

Conor-vermeer.jpg

Video (IMO very impressive results, especially because this took 30 seconds and 0 effort):

What does the Shoop community think? Will this be a new Shoop tool? Does it take the "romance" out of it? Impressed/unimpressed? Is AI going to take over and destroy us? <EdgyBrah>

Official trailer for app:

I've tried thagt app many times and have never gotten anything remotely as good as this one.

conor-shame.gif

Faceapp is pretty good thought but it's a different type of program. I did a bunch of Mir's with it and they look GREAT! The program can make someone old or you, gain weight, and a few things like that. I think it makes them smile too. Maybe I didnt use it right but it outputted the file with a background. I still had to cut it out in PS. I used cut outs to begin with too.
contrast-left-small-papa-mir-png.831133

papa-bwr-smile-png.831136

papa-mir-series-strainght-png.831134

papa-bwr-scream-png.831132

Attachments

• papa-BWR-scream.png
    papa-BWR-scream.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 36
  • contrast left small papa mir.png
    contrast left small papa mir.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 36
  • papa mir series strainght.png
    papa mir series strainght.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 37
  • papa-BWR-smile.png
    papa-BWR-smile.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
Yeah true, the image manipulation really pales in comparison to a good shoop. I've been playing around and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the video stuff. It's a bit hit and miss, but sometimes it works really well and it's like making a quick decent deepfake in less than a minute.

Upon further review, the downside is that you can only work with a bunch of predetermined clips. If in a few years they develop it to the point where you can upload any clip you want and do the face swap, then it might be a true Shoop tool. I don't think we're far off techonology-wise. As far as I know the process for making an actual deepfake is pretty involved, although I haven't really looked into it.

I've tried Deepfake stuff and gave up. Mind you, I wasn't in a good frame of mind to be doing it, so I may try again. And yea, real true AI for graphics is advancing fast. Pretty soon everyone will be good.

Back