Ref letting your opponent to get back up?

Stalling from the top can't happen if bottom fighter fights his way up to his feet. If he doesn't want someone to stand above him for 5 minutes then scramble.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I would like to understand the logistics of this idea.

How much space is between the standing and laying fighter? What if a fighter stalls from top position?

Being put in bad position is wildly unsportsmanlike, worse than stand-ups.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I would like to understand the logistics of this idea.

How much space is between the standing and laying fighter? What if a fighter stalls from top position?

Being put in bad position is wildly unsportsmanlike, worse than stand-ups.
I guess space would be the as when ref steps in. So in kicking/punching range. Not standing directly above grounded fighter because of course he can just use sweeps to get back up.

I think guys would work out the way to get back up on their feet, enhance their scramble ability instead of just laying there like dead fish on their back.

When Shinya Aoki retires he needs to tour the world's BJJ gyms teaching his amazing crab walk / flying butt scoot

Soccer kicks and stomps. All hail PRIDE.

I love them until fighters are working/building towards it. Push/trip followed by soccer kicks feels so cheap and unsportsmanlike.

where the pads are between the cage panels should house a 6 ft bamboo stick, the minute someone lays down and does nothing, the standing fighter can retrieve said stick and tee off on their opponent until they get up

I don't understand where in rules does it say that if you are standing above your opponent who is on the ground ref will step in, break the fight and let opponent get back up to his feet? Why is the fighter on the ground granted this gift?

Instead fighter on the ground should try to find his way on the feet while standing opponent has the right to hit him on his way up, of course watching not to hit his opponent while grounded.

I just don't undestand why ref do that. If they didn't step in, guys on the ground would have to scramble back to their feet and probably pay for it with some good punch or body/head kick.

so people, like Werdum and Maia, don't just lay down the whole fight.

I love them until fighters are working/building towards it. Push/trip followed by soccer kicks feels so cheap and unsportsmanlike.
Agreed. I only appreciate them when they are used to mitigate stalling.

Agreed. I only appreciate them when they are used to mitigate stalling.

Shogun vs. Diabate comes to mind.

A wicked striking fest and major upset about to happen... Naw, lets fall back to trips and soccer kicks.

Under unified rules, I wouldn't be shocked if Shogun lost that night.

Lets see how many fighters want to lose a round/fight by just laying on the ground because they are scared to stand up. Not many and everyone that does would get cut from UFC for doing that shit.

Exactly how would they be losing. Nothing to happening. Did you think at all before you posted

of course, there should be some limits how to use it

Maybe, but I hate complicated rules. I would prefer it all be simple.

The truth is, if soccer kicks are allowed, I want to see the soccer kick master. I want to see that tactic utilized in its most effective way.

Lets see how many fighters want to lose a round/fight by just laying on the ground because they are scared to stand up. Not many and everyone that does would get cut from UFC for doing that shit.
That's not the point. The fighter who is standing up has the dominant position, so he has to do something. Just like you can't stall in the clinch. So if you don't do anything the ref will make you lose that dominant position.

This rule is perfectly fine as is. Only improvement would be yellow cards for stalling.

In a precursor to modern MMA, a valuable lesson was learned in 1976.
INOKIALI-WEB-articleLarge.jpg

Referee should warn the guy on the ground for timidity after a 10-15 second period, if he refuses to get up or cannot sweep the legs/trip his opponent to initiate grappling, then he should be deducted a point if he continues to lay there.

Simple.

I agree with TS. It would be awesome to watch a 5 minutes stand-off between a standing fighter, that doesn't want to get in grappling range, and a lying fighter, that can't stand up safely.
Book it Dana

Go watch the worst fight of all time Overeem vs Werdum in Strikeforce if you want to know why they do this

Do you really want to see people stall in this position? Some BJJ guys just flop on their back and lay there trying to get the other guy to follow. You have to make them get back up

Do you really want to see people stall in this position? Some BJJ guys just flop on their back and lay there trying to get the other guy to follow. You have to make them get back up
Let them do that, lose the fight and get cut from UFC. Then lets see how many people will flop on their back like that. After first few cuts they will stop doing it.

Back