Reem is the most skilled fighter at HW

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Legendary, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Legendary

Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

His striking is among the most technical in the HW division. Best knees in HW history. Probably the best HW kicker in the UFC among active fighters. ADCC trials winner, so he is at the very least no slouch on the ground and has never been submitted in his career except for the weird tapping to strikes against Arona. He can punch, has pretty decent wrestling and can literally do it all. The one obvious thing that has held him back is his chin. Even when he was younger and at LHW, he didn't really have the greatest ability to take a shot. Besides this, he doesn't have any giant technical deficiencies.

He isn't the GOAT by any means, but he is arguably the most technically complete fighter in that division. He always has a chance at winning the title, but he also is just 1 punch from getting knocked out. Weird

Goes to show that you can have all the tools but not having a good chin makes it extremely hard to be successful in combat sports.

Fedor>Cain and MMA4Life like this.
  2. JabToucher

JabToucher I don't put anyone on ignore!

I've wondered for a long time why he started fighting so bizarrely! Huge long time Reem fan still!

He doesn't step in with a one/two like you'd expect an elite kickboxer to do?

MMA4Life likes this.
  3. KnockoutArtist

KnockoutArtist White Belt

His cardio is actually his biggest weakness.

Most of his losses stem from him being gassed and his glass chin being targeted.

Miocic, Bigfoot, Browne, Sergei, pretty much all the LHW losses, are him getting gassed and being too fatigued to defend effectively and being finished as a result.

Only loss in the big leagues due to "weak chin" is Ngannou and Rothwell.

It is a credit to him, because chin and cardio and by far the two most important things in the sport so to have such a longstanding career and have achieved a bit like he has goes to show how professional he is to get the best out of himself and also his offensive weapons enabling him to finish fights in the short window that he has to finish them.

99% of fighters with no chin and 5 minutes of cardio you've never even heard of before because they couldn't even make it out of the minor leagues with those impeditions.

You've heard of him and he's actually done pretty damn well all things considered.

But yes, he is most skilled (at least in modern-day UFC terms), I think quite easily to be honest.

Cain had the all round package too, but I think with just a little bit less potency than Reem.

DC's pretty good too. His standup is actually up there a fair bit for a heavyweight.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    ChumpyKiwi, A.S. Deep, mraa1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Furious77

Furious77 Tell dat bitch to be cool.

Is defense, cardio and fight iq considered a skill?

lsa, A.S. Deep, Paulsp and 1 other person like this.
  5. krelianx

krelianx Silver Belt

He could never get over the fact that MMA defense doesn't work like it does with kickboxing gloves. He curls up against the cage and starts taking shots while covering, but punches find their way through. He also has developed a strange propensity to fight with his hands extremely low in the last few years, which leads to him being more open than necessary. And he doesn't use his wrestling or jitz as much as he could, which he did for instance against Sergei, Vitor, and others.

He has learned to pace himself a lot better since training at Jacksons, so you don't see him burn out within 3 minutes anymore. He can and has won several decisions, which would have been unthinkable back in the day. Still, he has taken way too much damage, and as a result is brittle. He is also way old, and I'm struck that he is still competing, considering his track record.

He was at his best around the time he fought against Rogers. Jacked to the gills, immense power, killer knees, tight defense, relentless pressure.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

This really opened my eye.. I think he is done done now.. then again HW is kinda done so he has plenty of 800k purses to collect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MMA4Life

MMA4Life Black Belt

As a Reem fan every fight I am on the edge of my seat just hoping he doesn't get KTFO even when fights guy's like Pavlovich. I wish Dana gave him an immediate title shot when he came over from SF and was still Ubereem. At least he got a lucrative contract from the UFC.
    The main thing that I wish Reem could change is his habit to shell up and attempt to protect himself with MMA gloves. It worked great for him in K-1 and it's a hard to change a built in habit thpugh... Here is Overeem shelling up with K-1 gloves.

He's the most skilled HW fighter in terms of striking and the rest of his game is well very rounded his submissions are under-rated he doesn't seem to go for subs very much anymore but he is not just a guillotine guy as some may think. He also has lost some fights in the UFC maybe due to overconfidence or maybe it was just his gas tank. But it's still War The Demolition Man.

Legendary and One MMA Fan like this.
  8. welldone

welldone i steal avatars

9. Loriquero

Loriquero Green Belt

I was thinking about this last time, and remembering those times he got KTFO, he usually doesn't get his lights turn off. Is more like when he get hit, he just hates it and wants it to finish right away. Was like this against Shogun x2, Arona and many others... Not just like he goes to sleep everytime

I hope he goes to Glory and fights Rico in Holland. That would be huge.

10. Drain Bamage

Drain Bamage Black Belt

Daniel Cormier

Love the Reem, but DC beats everybody at HW precisely because he is the most skilled fighter, as he usually has a size disadvantage

A.S. Deep and mkt like this.
  11. pbateman

pbateman Purple Belt

foaming at the mouth and running at pigeons
    [​IMG]

12. laleggenda27

laleggenda27 Brown Belt

Cardio is a much bigger problem for Overeem than chin. Yes, he's very skilled. But cardio is often the great equalizer.

13. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Off Season Mode.

Maybe he's got "more skills" than DC. Sure.

I'd take DC in a fight

14. Legendary

Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

Oops, totally forgot about that one. That was the only time I think.

15. djason1988

djason1988 Brown Belt

I think reem is a horrible matchup for DC. The power, length, and DC's height making those knees so much easier to land.

Fedor>Cain and Ludonja like this.
  16. ScarfaceMasdival

ScarfaceMasdival White Belt

He's not as good and his chin is cracked

DC is way more skilled overall

17. blaseblah

blaseblah Gold Belt

Offensively perhaps, but his striking defense is severely lacking. Also his ground game sucks now.

18. mkt

mkt Gold Belt

Actually Dc is more than pretty good. And his Olympic wrestling >> backyard European ADCC trials

19. ScarfaceMasdival

ScarfaceMasdival White Belt

DC is way more skilled overall and his chin is not cracked.

20. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

This is all on paper. The reality is him flopping around all over the octagon like a dutch pinball while stipe worked him up. This forum would list his wiki stats tryin to convince ya he was lord god all mighty

K-1 champ
    palookaville hw champ
    dream champ
    strikefarce hw champ

and he comes to the ufc and gets beat by c-listers over and over.

21. Ludonja

Ludonja Blue Belt

lost by submission to werdum in pride