Reebok deal improvment......main & co main event fighters get more $$

Yet the poster used andy murray as a prime example, a magically non independent contractor whenever they play an event in india I suppose?

Andy Murray is not an employee of anyone. He get's paid to attend/win tournaments. When he's playing in India under Indian contract law then he's not an employee or independent contractor in India. Again, because India has very specific contract laws that eliminate the employee/independent contractor distinction.

When he plays in countries that have an independent contractor/employee distinction - he's an independent contractor.

And to get slightly more complicated, something I fear you probably can't follow, playing tournaments in India doesn't mean that the compensation contract is written or governed under Indian law. The tournament might be India but the contract might be drafted and enforced in a completely different country.

In my world, the way you measure weather a deal is good or not is to look at whether you are better off overall afterwords.

No one, absolutely no one is better off now. Reebok is paying millions for shitty publicity. UFC is getting shitty publicity for very little or no money. And the fighters are getting less total compensation.

This deal is a lose-lose-lose deal. Everyone loses. And everyone loses huge.

I don't like the rebook deal but there are fighters who are better off now and they've said so themselves. It is very few admittedly but they are there. I just don't like people making false accusation on either side of this argument.

Yeah!!!!! Someone brought it up.

First off, IPL contracts are generally 3 way contracts between the IPL, the player, and the team they play for. Those teams play in other contests besides IPL like Champions League 2020. Players are generally employees of the teams. Some are some weird employee/IC hybrid I believe (India's employment law is a bit different) and get a lot more money for giving away certain image rights.

Secondly, cricketers have a players association. They have salaries, insurance, pensions, get paid when they are injured, and guaranteed a fair % of the total revenue output, etc. Which is why loads of cricket players make millions of $.

Yeah, I didn't want to get into the IPL structure which is completely different from what we're discussing. India's approach to employment law is so different from ours that it's never a good parallel.

Ronda Rousey just sold around 33,500 DNB T-shirts over the last 3 days for $25 a pop: https://represent.com/ronda

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

She never wore it during fight week and it has absolutely nothing to do with Reebok. The UFC doesn't stop fighters from doing appearances, selling T-shirts or representing non-UFC approved sponsors for most of the year. If you're a fighter who can't get sponsor opportunities outside of those 3 days per year the UFC has all their cameras trained on you, guess what, it's YOUR problem, it means you have little to no value outside of the UFC platform, and it's a problem you need to figure out for yourself.

The Reebok deal is a fixed amount, they're not going to magically increase main and co-main event sponsor $$ for no reason.

Outside sponsorships want their brand showcased when, you know...all the cameras are on the fighter. The UFC took that away from them. Your logic is ignorant.

Ronda is an anomaly, another poor example in your post.

so you are upset about something that you don't even really know is true. You are guessing that it's true? Interesting way to go thru life.

You think it isn't? Don't be blind. Fighters are now wearing reebok kits...there are no more added sponsors in that. Keep eating the shit.
images

most patches in manny's shorts aside from nike are local Philippine Corps. that has supported Manny in his entire boxing career. And in return despite manny's popularity. He stayed with them at the same amount of sponsorship deal equivalent to $5k - $20k - per patch.

I don't like the rebook deal but there are fighters who are better off now and they've said so themselves. It is very few admittedly but they are there. I just don't like people making false accusation on either side of this argument.

When I say everyone, I am referring to the fighters as an entity. It is beyond doubt that the fighters as a whole are worse of now.

FzapmSu.jpg

These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed. Exhibit 1:

29-Calculator-Jumbo.jpg

I agree, the facts should not be skewed to further an argument. For some of the lowest tier guys this is a good thing. Could complete no-names still get more sponsor money on their own? Maybe. But it isn't just being on tv, it who the product is associated with and companies aren't lining up to have some no-name who might get KOed in the first round wear their logo. Point being simply is is harder for them to find sponsors and to have the guarantee of 5k sponsor money with the 8k/8k they are making off fights might be the difference between needing a second job of being able to train full-time.

But most guys this screwed bad. And the money they had counted on as income and factored into their budgets all of a sudden..poof...it is just gone. That's the kind of shit that can ruin people for years to come because they will never get out from under the debt and interest they had to take on to get by when a revenue steam bigger than their fighting pay just got wiped out with no warning.

Yeah!!!!! Someone brought it up.

First off, IPL contracts are generally 3 way contracts between the IPL, the player, and the team they play for. Those teams play in other contests besides IPL like Champions League 2020. Players are generally employees of the teams. Some are some weird employee/IC hybrid I believe (India's employment law is a bit different) and get a lot more money for giving away certain image rights.

Secondly, cricketers have a players association. They have salaries, insurance, pensions, get paid when they are injured, and guaranteed a fair % of the total revenue output, etc. Which is why loads of cricket players make millions of $.

champions league doesn't even exist anymore. you're clearly just wikipedia'ing stuff you have no idea about.

With all of the negativity around the deal and let's tell the truth here... Has anyone on Sherdog actually seen anyone (that's not a fighter or part of the Reebok deal) buy/wear a fight kit?

Reebok is a successful business and they won't throw good money after bad.

I'd be really surprised if the deal (as we know it) is still in place, this time next year.

Reebok isn't that successful, They will always be low rate clothing brand.. Who really wears Reebok clothing?

champions league doesn't even exist anymore. you're clearly just wikipedia'ing stuff you have no idea about.

True that 2020 recently disbanded. I was at the 2014 finals though. So let's not discuss it like it is ancient history.

Way to completely miss the forest for the trees though. You completely glossed over the fact that cricket players have collective bargaining rights and are treated as employees.

Reebok isn't that successful, They will always be low rate clothing brand.. Who really wears Reebok clothing?
Even with losing their NHL deal, according to Forbes they are the 6th most valuable sports brand out of the top 40 at 1.2 billion

http://my.xfinity.com/slideshow/sports-mostvaluablebrands/8/

They may not be Nike but Reebox is still a pretty big name. The fighters should have been given the option until their current contracts expired though. And even then it really hurts them but not much they can do about it and it would be their decision to stay at that point, knowing what they are getting into.

Even with losing their NHL deal, according to Forbes they are the 6th most valuable sports brand out of the top 40 at 1.2 billion

http://my.xfinity.com/slideshow/sports-mostvaluablebrands/8/

They may not be Nike but Reebox is still a pretty big name. The fighters should have been given the option until their current contracts expired though. And even then it really hurts them but not much they can do about it and it would be their decision to stay at that point, knowing what they are getting into.
and what happens if they do shop and sign on another promo. they get shit on by dana and his shills...fighters should start looking out for themselves and go where they will have better pay to support their lifestyle and their training.

Manny in his entire boxing career. And in return despite manny's popularity. He stayed with them at the same amount of sponsorship deal equivalent to $5k - $20k - per patch.

Boxer.
Doesn't sound like he is optimizing his sponsorship potential.
Not relevant at all to the discussion.

are there any other non-team sports where the participants have to wear uniforms?

This thread is entertaining in a masochistic sort of way. Do carry on!

NASCAR likes the Reebok deal and is going to go with the same model.

As bidding was closing it looks like Tampax will be the logo on each and every car.

Ronda Rousey just sold around 33,500 DNB T-shirts over the last 3 days for $25 a pop: https://represent.com/ronda

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

She never wore it during fight week and it has absolutely nothing to do with Reebok. The UFC doesn't stop fighters from doing appearances, selling T-shirts or representing non-UFC approved sponsors for most of the year. If you're a fighter who can't get sponsor opportunities outside of those 3 days per year the UFC has all their cameras trained on you, guess what, it's YOUR problem, it means you have little to no value outside of the UFC platform, and it's a problem you need to figure out for yourself.

The Reebok deal is a fixed amount, they're not going to magically increase main and co-main event sponsor $$ for no reason.

LOL. you know what's extremely funny here? Your post -in all it's words- doesn't mean shit. What Ronda does outside the UFC means nothing to others and their pay outside the UFC. would you buy Thiago Alves DND (do nothing douche) shirt. OK, maybe the schilling will get you one for free. But you'd be the only idiot wearing one. Ronda has millions of dollars backing her (that's great, honestly) but it has nothing to do with any onther fighter. The only way you can justify cutting fighters pay like this if you believe that it's awesome China uses slave labor.

This is the first thing I've said about the Reebok deal ... I wanted to give it a moment to justify itself. It won't. It can't

Boxer.
Doesn't sound like he is optimizing his sponsorship potential.
Not relevant at all to the discussion.

Yeah? and how should an MMA fighter optimize his sponsorship potential? Reebok deal?

Yeah? and how should an MMA fighter optimize his sponsorship potential? Reebok deal?

You are asking me for free business consulting? I don't have a ton of free work to give away but if you are a fighter and serious we could probably arrange something.
Off the top of my head - For starters, Set a goal. Do you want to be a full time fighter or are you fine with working and training or working 50%/ training 50%. This matters to the plan. Next, you need to create a LLC that is essentially you, the fighter. KantoTerror, LLC. This will provide tax benefits for expenses like training, coaching, travel, etc. Second you need to create a balance sheet that has all fighting and training expenses on one side and all revenue on the other. Then we can sit down and figure out how to minimize the left and what opportunities there are to maximize the right. Items like show /win and the potential for bonuses as well as the corporate sponsorship are maximized by number of fights so that is something to work on as the single top priority. If you are fighting 1x per year, get to 2. 2x per year, get to 3x. Stay close to weight and in good communication with the matchmaker to let them know you are ready whenever, where ever.
For sponsorships specifically - corporate sponsorship goes into the revenue column and then we forget about it. The only thing we can do to influence it is to get more fights. (and sell more kits - but that's a different revenue stream that we can influence through social media). Non-corporate sponsorship is going to be driven by what level of fighter you are and brand awareness. If you are just starting out we would focus on local brands, then regional, then national, etc. Then go promote, never shut up, constant social media, do radio spots on sports shows, do vlogs, do podcasts, work on your backstory with the announcers, get involved in a local charity, etc. Every time you are anywhere promote your sponsors and keep track of all the events and activities where you do so to put into a selling kit for other sponsors. Let them know up front that fight night and fight week promotions are off limits, but everything else - every single other day of the year you will be supporting them as a sponsor.
Hope this "starter kit" helps - Sales and Marketing strategy consulting is what I do for a living currently.

You are asking me for free business consulting? I don't have a ton of free work to give away but if you are a fighter and serious we could probably arrange something.
Off the top of my head - For starters, Set a goal. Do you want to be a full time fighter or are you fine with working and training or working 50%/ training 50%. This matters to the plan. Next, you need to create a LLC that is essentially you, the fighter. KantoTerror, LLC. This will provide tax benefits for expenses like training, coaching, travel, etc. Second you need to create a balance sheet that has all fighting and training expenses on one side and all revenue on the other. Then we can sit down and figure out how to minimize the left and what opportunities there are to maximize the right. Items like show /win and the potential for bonuses as well as the corporate sponsorship are maximized by number of fights so that is something to work on as the single top priority. If you are fighting 1x per year, get to 2. 2x per year, get to 3x. Stay close to weight and in good communication with the matchmaker to let them know you are ready whenever, where ever.
For sponsorships specifically - corporate sponsorship goes into the revenue column and then we forget about it. The only thing we can do to influence it is to get more fights. (and sell more kits - but that's a different revenue stream that we can influence through social media). Non-corporate sponsorship is going to be driven by what level of fighter you are and brand awareness. If you are just starting out we would focus on local brands, then regional, then national, etc. Then go promote, never shut up, constant social media, do radio spots on sports shows, do vlogs, do podcasts, work on your backstory with the announcers, get involved in a local charity, etc. Every time you are anywhere promote your sponsors and keep track of all the events and activities where you do so to put into a selling kit for other sponsors. Let them know up front that fight night and fight week promotions are off limits, but everything else - every single other day of the year you will be supporting them as a sponsor.
Hope this "starter kit" helps - Sales and Marketing strategy consulting is what I do for a living currently.

And looking at the BS you just stated...do you think the Reebok Deal is warranted? Remember that now reebok had monopolized exposure. Do they give a shit who fights and who doesn't? As long as there are fighters entering the cage wearing the kits...Reebok is happy. Individual fighters can fight from 1 - 8 fights a year....and without the sponsors...what do a fighter get now every time they step inside the octagon??? diddly squat.

Back