Reebok deal improvment......main & co main event fighters get more $$

JKS

77+&--#rT....
@plutonium
Reaction score
After the last few events and seeing the pay outs for certain fighters its quite astonishing how bad this deal is in some cases. A fighter like Glover Teixera who's been a vet in the sport and competed for the LHW title only got $5,000 paid sponorship money in a main event spot, that btw did 1.3 million viewers (pretty good)

This deal has been under heavy scrutiny from fighters and media. I think one thing the UFC and Reebok could do in order to improve this for fighters is introduce a pay structure where the main event fighters and co-main event fighters get a higher payout then usual. Champions and contenders get 40K and 30K, I think it should be the same for non champs in those headlining positions, maybe not quite the same amount as champs and contenders but an increase for that featured spot. The Reebok deal if/when will be revised, this one thing to add.

Maybe the system could be something like they main/co main get double of what their regular sponsor ship base is. Or they could do a base sum like $30K for main event and $20K for co main. Of course some fighters in that position would already be in the $20K category, they would have to work that out somehow.

Thoughts?

Yeah its a joke glover got like 5k..

I just flew back from work where I did fuck all on a mine site for 2 and a half weeks and cleared 10k and this poor bastard had to train for 3 months pay his manager/trainer.. food supplements etc.. and he got a shitty UFC pay and an even shitter sponsorship pay. its fucking laughable.

No way Glover only got $5K.

$30K and $40K for a champion and a contender is still relatively little money.

I'm not trying to argue with you that he didn't get that. It's just pretty funny that he got paid so little.

Is it fair that certain guys would luck into a headlining position due to injuries changing the card around?

Ronda Rousey just sold around 33,500 DNB T-shirts over the last 3 days for $25 a pop: https://represent.com/ronda

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

She never wore it during fight week and it has absolutely nothing to do with Reebok. The UFC doesn't stop fighters from doing appearances, selling T-shirts or representing non-UFC approved sponsors for most of the year. If you're a fighter who can't get sponsor opportunities outside of those 3 days per year the UFC has all their cameras trained on you, guess what, it's YOUR problem, it means you have little to no value outside of the UFC platform, and it's a problem you need to figure out for yourself.

The Reebok deal is a fixed amount, they're not going to magically increase main and co-main event sponsor $$ for no reason.

Ronda Rousey just sold around 33,500 DNB T-shirts over the last 3 days for $25 a pop: https://represent.com/ronda

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

She never wore it during fight week and it has absolutely nothing to do with Reebok. The UFC doesn't stop fighters from doing appearances, selling T-shirts or representing non-UFC approved sponsors for most of the year. If you're a fighter who can't get sponsor opportunities outside of those 3 days per year the UFC has all their cameras trained on you, guess what, it's YOUR problem.

The Reebok deal is a fixed amount, they're not going to magically increase main and co-main event sponsor $$ for no reason.

Nice. Reebok naysayers don't get business and how to get paid.

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

She never wore it during fight week and it has absolutely nothing to do with Reebok. The UFC doesn't stop fighters from doing appearances, selling T-shirts or representing non-UFC approved sponsors for most of the year. If you're a fighter who can't get sponsor opportunities outside of those 3 days per year the UFC has all their cameras trained on you, guess what, it's YOUR problem, it means you have little to no value outside of the UFC platform, and it's a problem you need to figure out for yourself.

None of this means that the Reebok deal is not a dog shit deal. The Reebok deal is utter dog shit for the fighters. Just terrible. And it's real easy math.

Is what fighters were making from their own sponsors during the fight week/fight before the Reebok deal more or less than what they are getting from Reebok now? And by how much. It is a yes or no question, followed up with a dollar figure that has a + or - beside it. It's pretty clear that most fighters have a - next to their number.

The UFC should have never done a deal that would make their fighters worse off financially than they already were. Especially one that 'allegedly' they are not making a dime from.

A hilariously bad deal for everyone. Reebok pays 70 million over 6 or 7 years to get flayed alive in the press for colluding to assfuck fighters. The UFC gets dogshit press in exchange for almost no money. And the fighters get fucked in the ass sans lube.

In 20 years, this deal will be a case study in business fuckuppery at universities across the nation.

Last edited:

There are a bunch of reasons to dislike the Reebok deal.
But anybody that thinks that UFC fighters can only earn from outside sources on fight week is a dolt.

In my world, the way you measure weather a deal is good or not is to look at whether you are better off overall afterwords.

No one, absolutely no one is better off now. Reebok is paying millions for shitty publicity. UFC is getting shitty publicity for very little or no money. And the fighters are getting less total compensation.

This deal is a lose-lose-lose deal. Everyone loses. And everyone loses huge.

With all of the negativity around the deal and let's tell the truth here... Has anyone on Sherdog actually seen anyone (that's not a fighter or part of the Reebok deal) buy/wear a fight kit?

Reebok is a successful business and they won't throw good money after bad.

I'd be really surprised if the deal (as we know it) is still in place, this time next year.

With all of the negativity around the deal and let's tell the truth here... Has anyone on Sherdog actually seen anyone (that's not a fighter or part of the Reebok deal) buy/wear a fight kit?

Reebok is a successful business and they won't throw good money after bad.

I'd be really surprised if the deal (as we know it) is still in place, this time next year.

Agreed. I'd love to see numbers from Reebok outlining their UFC apparel sales. But we won't.

Bellator will be the go-to organization for upcoming fighters.

With how UFC is structured now.. upcoming fighters will be better off going into Bellator for the pay out.

No way Glover only got $5K.

$30K and $40K for a champion and a contender is still relatively little money.

I'm not trying to argue with you that he didn't get that. It's just pretty funny that he got paid so little.

Yah, he has 8 UFC fights or rather under the Zuffa banner.

Agreed. I'd love to see numbers from Reebok outlining their UFC apparel sales. But we won't.

They've already said that they've surpassed 1M kit sales, the bulk of which are Rousey and Conor.

$40K for a champion is a joke. How many title fights are there? They can't afford to give the champs at least like $100K?

they won't ever do that, because if they do, it will prove to everyone that the deal was bad to begin with. neither reebok, nor the ufc, want to prove everyone right. though if there continues to be bad press, they might be forced to admit guilt.

Surely this has been an absolute PR nightmare for Reebok? I mean do you think there is any way they have done anything but lose cash on it?

33,500 x $25 = $837,500

The Reebok deal is shit, but what you say is true. Fighters that are hurting need to find do something about their situation themselves. Sure, it's going to take more work than before than just passively wearing logos, but the climate has changed and fighters need to adapt.

Bellator will be the go-to organization for upcoming fighters.

With how UFC is structured now.. upcoming fighters will be better off going into Bellator for the pay out.

In order for Bellator to be the go-to organization, Bellator is going to have to improve on how they market, change public perception, build stars, make people want to chose their cards over the UFC's....

Until they take are of those things, sponsors are going to pay Bellator fighters accordingly- much less than what they paid UFC fighters pre-Reebok.

Back