Redstar Gi's, thoughts?

BigCP84**

There are no absolutes!
Reaction score
Well since they are a local company I ordered their new Light Pro Gi for $160cad all in (taxes and shipping). A lot of the guys in my gym have the original Gi and it looks like a really solid Gi, since I am on a tight budget I decided to give the new Pro Light a go.

I was wondering if anyone, can tell me what the differences are in the light (original) and the Pro-Light (new model). The only change that I think I notice is the Light Pro comes with ripstop pants now instead of just cotton canvas.

This is the small blurb on the new Gi:
"Pearl weave light jacket fabric; rip-stop very light fabric for pants, but still extremely strong and feels nice and durable when you roll. The weight of the gi is around 4 lbs. 80% preshrunk (not very dryer friendly), will shrink once a little if placed in a dryer."

Here are some pics from the Redstar website:

Light
shop-large-white-f1.jpg

Light Pro
light-pro-large.jpg

Can't really give a solid difference between the two, but I do have the light, and I like it...as a training gi. It has a few places that feel a bit baggy around the torso area. Its still going strong for me although there are a few places where the red stitchings are beginning to loosen up. Redstar is a solid company just make sure you get the right size

All I can see is that the Light Pro has slightly different stitching on the pants, right above the knee, and that the Light Pro does not have the Red Star embroidery on the arms.

Good eye! I noticed the pants but I didnt notice the embroidery on the sleeve.

The only other thing I could find was that the Light model jacket was Gold Weave.

I wish these companies would offer a "less logos" version.

the light pro seems to have a heavy pair of pants due to its stitching pattern

the redstar pro light gi pants are much lighter than the pro.
i do own both
awesome gi's

I received the Gi yesterday, I color locked it just to be safe (i dont want a pink Gi yet, when I am actually good a BJJ then sure. =P) That jacket is nice, I would even compare it to my SYR SuerLite RS, I will take pictures later on to compare the two. But they are both Pearl weave, have the foam collar the only obvious difference is the Redstar has the armpit reinforcements while the SYR doesnt.

I love the pants, they barely shrank with the ripstop material, they are super light and very comfortable. They are not a tapered fit, but I like that, I would say they fit like Koral Classic pants (I own a classic gi so that is the only thing I can directly compare them to.). The length is perfect for me, they sit right on top of my foot. I actually ordered a second pair to replace my SYR SLrs pants that are really short and a lot heavier than the Redstar ripstop pants.

Last edited:
I received the Gi yesterday, I color locked it just to be safe (i dont want a pink Gi yet, when I am actually good a BJJ then sure. =P) That jacket is nice, I would even compare it to my SYR SuerLite RS, I will take pictures later on to compare the two. But they are both Peal weave, have the foam collar the only obvious difference is the Redstar has the armpit reinforcements while the SYR doesnt.

I love the pants, they barely shrank with the ripstop material, they are super light and very comfortable. Now IMO the A4's are not a tapered fit, but I like that. The length is perfect for me, they sit right on top of my foot. I actually ordered a second pair to replace my SYR SLrs pants that are really short and a lot heavier than the Redstar ripstop pants.

what are your measurements?

I am 6'1" 250lbs, other than that I am not sure... I have 2 plates in my left elbow so I have lost about 4"s in reach.

I just took a few pics to compare the Redstar Light pro with the SYR Superlite RS.

The Redstar Pro Light Gi:
DSC01952.jpg

The SYR Superlight on top of the Redstar, Pretty much same size:
DSC01947.jpg

The SYR Sleeves are about 1" longer:
DSC01958.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

The collar of the SYR and the Redstar:
DSC01965.jpg

The Difference in pants:
DSC01964.jpg

Fit of Black Star Light Pro:
DSC01971.jpg

Fit of the SYR SuperLite RS:
DSC01973.jpg

A close up of the weave of the SYR SLrs, Redstar Light Pro, and the Koral Classic:
DSC01976.jpg

Sorry, I cant straighten my left arm so you can't see the proper length.

Oh and the SYR is an A5 and the Redstar is a A4! I hope the shorter sleeves will help against spider guards... oooo how I hate spider guard, always leads to knee getting pushed out and swept lol.

How is the chest patch sewn in? Easy to remove?

Can't stand patches.

I have one, it fits me kind of wierd, long sleeves, but is pretty nice overall. I don't like the red stitching mug though

redstar makes solid gis
i have a light gi as well but i find it a bit thicker than my reevo and sinister. the collar is the stiffest out of my three gis

Back