Redding Submission Fighting

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Madmick, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Madmick

Madmick Freedom!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm in a bind.

I went to this local kickboxing/kung fu gym when I was shopping around and the sensei there was down to earth. I told him I was interested in MMA so I'd probably be joining his gym on top of a grappling gym. When I mentioned that, he said one of the pro fighters at his gym also did BJJ and submission stuff, and my eyes lit up. I'd researched every dojo in a 120 mi. radius and there is NOTHING here for grappling MMA. So he tells me, "Yeah, Joe goes to both Chico and Redding a couple times a week for grappling."
    I said, "Where, I looked all over?"
    He said, "Redding Submission Fighting in Redding, and I forget where in Chico, I think there are two places he frequents."
    I was absolutely stoked. It seemed to be all my answers in one stop.

Then he gives me his gym flyer. There's an enrollment fee of $125 and only one membership type is offered (full access) for $65 a month. Now, I lived in New York, so I know you guys and the SoCal guys are like, "What's the deal?" The deal is that price is ri-goddamn-dickulous in a shantyville like Red Bluff. Standard around here is $25-50 enrollement and $35-60 for monthly dues.

Besides, my best friend's dad is letting me train with him 2x a week (all I want for striking) for $25 a month with no down fee, and his list of fighters produced (including my friend) is more impressive than the other guy's, even if his credentials aren't. The problem is, he doesn't know what or where Redding Submission Fighting is.

I looked it up and I couldn't find any contact info for the gym, but I did find several pages of MMA tournaments with guys listing "Redding Submission Fighting" as their dojo. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a small group of five or six guys who get together a couple times a week and train in some garage converted to a gym, and that I'll need to know this Joe guy to get connected.

So I was throwing this out there: does anyone live near me? Does anyone know about Redding Submission Fighting or how I can get in contact with them? Or am I completely out of the loop and is there another MMA/grappling gym you guys know about in the Chico/Redding area (of California)? Or does someone simply have a suggestion for another means of finding this gym (since the yellow pages failed)?

Thanks, guys, I appreciate any help.

2. guardpasser

guardpasser Tudo Bem Bjj

you should probably staywhere you are at if the prices are too high

3. Madmick

Madmick Freedom!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

You should probably pray to God you never meet me on the street.

4. Tucker Smith

Tucker Smith Amateur Fighter

i used to live in redding. redding submission sucks, but so does the alternative(team spain).
    Thats actually why i moved out to arcata, to train my jiujitsu with the humboldt top team. but they ended up moving their gym a few months later... so now im just trying to stay in shape, while my technique slowly deteriorates.

5. Tucker Smith

double post

6. Tucker Smith

triple post

7. bobbylight**

bobbylight** Banned Banned

uhhhh, what??

8. FatTire

FatTire Orange Belt

9. DoomsdayFAN**

DoomsdayFAN** Banned Banned

I live in Redding. I know of a full blown MMA training center. They teach M. Tai and BJJ as well as other stuff. I've never been to, but I heard its pretty good.

10. Tucker Smith

doomsday, i think thats team spain. or spain fighting systems or something. larry spain is the head coach though. i've never trained there myself, but ive watched alot of his best guys fight and was not impressed.

11. PacificFlows

PacificFlows White Belt

Hey, I'm living in downtown Redding and I was wondering if anyone here knows how I could get into the sport? There's some Gracie Jiu Jitsu going on at Xtreme fitness, supposedly, and I'm going to check that out. I don't know how good they are about MMA, though, or even if they do no-gi stuff.

Anyways, anyone know about the local fighting scene around here? How does someone get to bang in the Redding Cage Wars?

12. Axis Academy

Axis Academy Banned Banned

Guys - If you want to train MMA, BJJ, or Muay Thai call 530 646-7346. We teach real Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Cheers!

13. Axis Academy

Axis Academy Banned Banned

Check out Redding's premiere BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai academy. Compare to others......

14. kimurense

kimurense Brown Belt

15. karate_dude_10

karate_dude_10 White Belt

idk if you are still looking for a gym but i am at Premier Martial Arts Acadamy in shasta lake city...we have a very experienced instructor who was recently inducted into the grand masters council in the martial arts hall of fame... he is a very accomplished boxing/muay thai instructor and a great guy. (also we get some help from the lions den since one of our fighters also fights for ken.

We have month to month payments, no contracts, and we only charge 60 dollars a month which is cheap compared to other gyms in redding (axis, redding submission fighting, and team spain)

16. FiEnD

FiEnD White Belt

If your still looking for training in Northern California PM me and I will send you in the right direction. I have trained at multiple gyms in Northern california and have multiple connections from Santa Rosa to Arcata, CA.

There are a lot of good MMA schools as well as good genuine Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu schools. So, PM me, tell me where your located and what you wish to accomplish and I will send you in the right direction.

About pricing $100-$120 isnt a bad monthly charge if your training at a well equiped gym (large mat space, full size boxing ring, MMA cage, work out area, heavy bag area) and you wish to have full access to weekly classes as well as the gym.

Keep an open mind and visit multiple gyms before making your decision.

Hit me up,

-F

17. Misplaced

Misplaced Purple Belt

In the same situation, looking for a new gym in the redding/anderson/redbluff area, chico would be too much of a commute. Need a gym that trains all areas of mma, and preferably has good connections with the local fight scene as I'm looking to get back in the mix as soon as possible. I'm working part-time at the moment as well so I need something with either night classes or early morning, and weekend classes would be a big plus as well.

18. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

lulz!